started a poll POLL/DISCUSSION: Class system, and interest in it

POLL/DISCUSSION: Class system, and interest in it

Yes
    79.41%
    No
    20.59%
    Unsure, thoughts below
    0%
    Is the class system something you have interest in?

A handful of people were discussing the class system on the discord, and GMScolve asked us to move the discussion here to gauge player interest in them putting the work in to make this happen. In his own words: "It's been a previously discussed topic but we weren't sure of the player interest level."

For the record, I don't think he expected us to work through every detail, but I'm sure ideas on how perceived complications can be solved would be appreciated.

I personally would love to see this put into action in the gameworld. The depth of that effect and the benefits of pursuing it are completely up for discussion, as well as the difficulty in acquiring verifiable sources of income and what that means. The only stipulation we have is that in no way, shape or form will regular characters ever be able to become patricians (1st class max).

For me, the difficulty lies in balancing the holdings. I think this could either be accomplished by way of a periodic auction, or as an alternative a calculation based on money turned in to the bank compared to withdrawn (Ex: 50k excess, 5th class citizen).

So please share your thoughts, discussion, and put in a vote! All are welcome for consideration.

• ArchMagi
    replied
    try help census, in game, it lists all the various classes, and what the requirements are. Anyone over headcount pays tax, among other things, like elevated social standing for accusing people of crimes or being accused. It requires provable income, not just money from hunting, so even a super rich tailor or broker wouldn't move up in class, without owning some land. Or other means of PROVING their income via holdings.

Leave a comment:

• Pikestr28
    replied
    Originally posted by AstyrZeno View Post
    I'm not sure I follow exactly how this class system would work. Can anyone either explain in detail or site a former thread where I might understand better?

Also: How would this affect the status / class of new players who have gotten into the game in the time before a class system starts (like me! Happy 1st year TEC anniversary to me - a couple of months late!) vs. all of you forever-old players?

Thanks!
    I'm with you and don't understand either. I've played on and off for 18 years, but this is probably my longest consecutive stint, and I was gone for over 6 years. Over the 18 years, I've maybe played a total of 3. I don't understand the class system, and the lore is completely beyond me. I think this could definitely be interesting, but it would take some very detailed and thought out ideas. I just don't know how it could happen with such a small player base and support team, but would love to see it as well.

Leave a comment:

• AstyrZeno
    replied
    I'm not sure I follow exactly how this class system would work. Can anyone either explain in detail or site a former thread where I might understand better?

Also: How would this affect the status / class of new players who have gotten into the game in the time before a class system starts (like me! Happy 1st year TEC anniversary to me - a couple of months late!) vs. all of you forever-old players?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ArchMagi
    replied
    I think an anti-class system already exists, in the form of slaves/foreigner/headcount and banned from places. Or do you have more details than just... anti-class?

Leave a comment:

• Lexi
    replied
    I like this idea, but there also has to be an anti-class system. I like how the game has reputation systems put into place, but they should also exist on the opposite end of the spectrum for infamy. It'd offer a lot more emergent gameplay.

Plus also, that way Synodia can finally get her handouts.

Leave a comment:

• Vakrend
    replied
    I would love the idea of this. A large initial pay-in investment towards an existing store maybe, so they could get a few new items in stock maybe, or just to prop it up as sales have been lagging lately and then an opportunity for now having a more permanent return on the investment in a holdings situation. Some way to generate income in that capacity so that players could work towards becoming a higher level of citizen. From a RP standpoint alone, I would be highly interested in pursuing this.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Yes; allow Kered to buy the Inn in vet and open his two shop ideas move on up class

Leave a comment:

• ArchMagi
    replied
    higher than headcount, you pay tax, and your vote stands for more, since headcount is 1 vote for everybody.
    but you definitely pay tax, says so in the census, so it'd cause money to leave the economy.
    Headcounts CAN sponsor foreigners, it's just that nobody cares.
    people used to be able to buy holdings, but the gms nixed that.

Leave a comment:

• herdias
    replied
    My take on the class system:
    • Allow VC's to use VC credits as an option to purchase small holdings or jobs for RP purposes similar to patricians. Also open this up to current characters in form of IG money or maybe RPs.
    • Jobs obtained this way should have various worth and cost weight. There should be punishments or loss of class rating for not RP'ing a job that you have. Example: Veridio is a hunter by trade. If he goes around for 3 RL months his hunter job holdings should either a) not pay out or b) not count towards class rating for that IG year.
    • Jobs/Holdings could be active or passive. Perhaps you own Belhrad's building and charge substantial rent cause business is booming. Higher cost weight but also higher worth.
    • Minimum holdings to bump from headcount to fifth class is 45K denars or 28.8T per IG year. That's reasonably attainable as a baseline with moderate effort into the system. Ordo Equestrian (1st Class) is Top 500 citizens. A goal people who actively seek out this system as an RP mechanism is much higher to attain with a minimum of 400k denars or 256T.
    • Allow purchase of IG citizenship via money or allow higher ranking citizens to sponsor foreigners.

Leave a comment:

• herdias
    replied
    I think achievements would be a different topic to discuss but ultimately I could see some of them tied into class system. Serving in legio for X years raises standings by Y. Being a known criminal lowers standings by X based on Y # of arrests. Though I don't think you could punish a known criminal's class for being a criminal if he holds legit holdings. I.e. a certain establishment we all know of.

Found an old @request that got denied in 2009 when I was running Crimson Sunrise Mercantile Company and Lottery Holdings on Eyago:
    Census Correction- Eyago Retoreni
    Office of Records
    To whom it may concern:
    I, Eyago Retoreni, am petitioning my status as a citizen. I am currently
    listed in the census as a Head count, however I am the owner of the Crimson
    Sunrise Mercantile Company which also holds two lotteries.
    I make roughly 100 talents yearly in revenue from my lotteries. As well as
    another 100 talents in the trade industry.
    I also run a brokerage service which nets me about 50 talents yearly.
    This leaves my revenue at a yearly rate of 250 talents. This clearly is an
    error on the census records to list me as a Head count. If in any way possible
    this error could be corrected, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    *a large flashy signature rests at the bottom of the sheet of vellum*
    Eyago Retoreni
    [Tried to mail this to Gratia Orbillo as I was told icly that was what i had
    to do. But she's not listed at the mail office. It's just a hope.]

Leave a comment:

• VBaehr
    replied
    Originally posted by Launrentinus View Post
    Maybe achievements would be a way to provide subsistence to RP?
    Ultimately we are talking RP as the foundation of this posts idea right?
    For example an achievement for: speaking 10,000 words to another PC, getting an apartment, talking with NPCs...
    achievements commands list what they are. Some are hidden.
    They are all RP based. Talking to people, buying things, getting sent to the coma ward...
    Absolutely not. This isn't Clash of Clans.

What's next? "We have a blitz sale for today only. Pay 9.99 and automatically get 20 ranks plus a Lorica and for an extra 30 dollars, you get an epic fire emote!"

Leave a comment:

• Launrentinus
    replied
    Maybe achievements would be a way to provide subsistence to RP?
    Ultimately we are talking RP as the foundation of this posts idea right?
    For example an achievement for: speaking 10,000 words to another PC, getting an apartment, talking with NPCs...
    achievements commands list what they are. Some are hidden.
    They are all RP based. Talking to people, buying things, getting sent to the coma ward...

Leave a comment:

• Dewdropdoodles
    replied
    I'll try to write something more up later regarding this topic, but I'm definitely for the idea. At the very, very least, I'd love to see something in this regard that makes citizenship a more desirable thing.

Leave a comment:

• TEC_Ghuan
    replied
    It's something (along with a million other things) that I would've wanted to happen. At one point I even wrote a small document of sorts with a whole bunch of ideas related to a class system. The Tip would've made a perfect new area for classed citizens to own properties and gain access to various benefits (private baths, shops, trainers, activities, restaurants, establishments, socio-political elements, etc.). Based on your class, new opportunities would open up to you. The main issue here is that in the Roman era your class was dictated by your income from your holdings and we all know that such a system wouldn't work with TEC's current economical climate nor the current way that holdings work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X