POLL/DISCUSSION: Class system, and interest in it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL/DISCUSSION: Class system, and interest in it

Is the class system something you have interest in?

A handful of people were discussing the class system on the discord, and GMScolve asked us to move the discussion here to gauge player interest in them putting the work in to make this happen. In his own words: "It's been a previously discussed topic but we weren't sure of the player interest level."

For the record, I don't think he expected us to work through every detail, but I'm sure ideas on how perceived complications can be solved would be appreciated.

I personally would love to see this put into action in the gameworld. The depth of that effect and the benefits of pursuing it are completely up for discussion, as well as the difficulty in acquiring verifiable sources of income and what that means. The only stipulation we have is that in no way, shape or form will regular characters ever be able to become patricians (1st class max).

For me, the difficulty lies in balancing the holdings. I think this could either be accomplished by way of a periodic auction, or as an alternative a calculation based on money turned in to the bank compared to withdrawn (Ex: 50k excess, 5th class citizen).

So please share your thoughts, discussion, and put in a vote! All are welcome for consideration.
    Yes
    79.41%
    No
    20.59%
    Unsure, thoughts below
    0%
    Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
    I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
    Originally posted by Phwoar
    Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
    Originally posted by Elowynn
    Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

I would absolutely love to see a class system in place. The ability for noncombatants to do more with their professions than just the physical things created from them. Turning arrows and baskets into net worth and political standing is a fantastic way to incentivize players to double down on their noncom viability without creating a boring work environment.

Comment

Something like this is a great evolution of the game. For it to be 'worth it' though it needs to be worth it. Maybe there's a valuable area (Like belhrad's) a [whatever] classed citizen can visit a certain number of times per year or whatever.

A few wealthy people will want to class up. But most of the people sitting on vast amounts of money may do it one time and then won't re-up. Because there's not mechanical value to it.

I like the idea and I'm behind it.
      Originally posted by Arconn9
      First time I used Sabinus today, since my old main got Cuttongued. So was the IC event for his change; was it him getting hit in the head repeatedly by someone? Because I think he's a retard now.

Comment

I think it's a great idea and is something I've been interested in for a long time.
        Don't tread on me.

Comment

I'm not really interested in it myself, but I'm not against it either for those who are. Could make things more interesting, depends on what being of a higher class would actually mean. Does it impact events you can hold? Areas of the gameworld you can get into? Justice system (more likely someone will take your word over someone else's or more jailtime to those who mess with you)?

What were the proposed changes in discord?
          A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
          A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
          A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

What is the actual purpose of this class? Is it only to make non coms [who some how always have all the money IG anyways] even more worth wide? What is the benefits vs the non benefits? Having a class system with no set goals, and say "vote' doesn't make sense.

Comment

No changes were proposed, we were actually talking about something else at the time and it came up offhandedly, and he wanted us to move the conversation here to assess interest. I've also got no idea what they have in mind for advantages or difficulty of rising in class. I'm sure they would be open to suggestions, though.
              Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
              I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
              Originally posted by Phwoar
              Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
              Originally posted by Elowynn
              Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Aside from an already broken system {I. E. Patricians}, I don't see what the point is in having a class system.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of a class system. I do think being able to buy holdings to secure class would be a huge way to remove money from the gameworld as well (for patties, you'd pay about 300 talents for a 5T per month holding, for example). I also want to see patties returned.
                  Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

It's something (along with a million other things) that I would've wanted to happen. At one point I even wrote a small document of sorts with a whole bunch of ideas related to a class system. The Tip would've made a perfect new area for classed citizens to own properties and gain access to various benefits (private baths, shops, trainers, activities, restaurants, establishments, socio-political elements, etc.). Based on your class, new opportunities would open up to you. The main issue here is that in the Roman era your class was dictated by your income from your holdings and we all know that such a system wouldn't work with TEC's current economical climate nor the current way that holdings work.

Comment

I'll try to write something more up later regarding this topic, but I'm definitely for the idea. At the very, very least, I'd love to see something in this regard that makes citizenship a more desirable thing.
                      Originally posted by Atilu
                      You'd probably be happier if you just didn't come to the forums.
                      Nicarus says to you, "Ya should shadow me an' keep track o' things. We can call it tha Dew-y number-ic system or somethin'.... have to work on that"

Comment

Maybe achievements would be a way to provide subsistence to RP?
                        Ultimately we are talking RP as the foundation of this posts idea right?
                        For example an achievement for: speaking 10,000 words to another PC, getting an apartment, talking with NPCs...
                        achievements commands list what they are. Some are hidden.
                        They are all RP based. Talking to people, buying things, getting sent to the coma ward...

Comment

Originally posted by Launrentinus View Post
                          Maybe achievements would be a way to provide subsistence to RP?
                          Ultimately we are talking RP as the foundation of this posts idea right?
                          For example an achievement for: speaking 10,000 words to another PC, getting an apartment, talking with NPCs...
                          achievements commands list what they are. Some are hidden.
                          They are all RP based. Talking to people, buying things, getting sent to the coma ward...
                          Absolutely not. This isn't Clash of Clans.

What's next? "We have a blitz sale for today only. Pay 9.99 and automatically get 20 ranks plus a Lorica and for an extra 30 dollars, you get an epic fire emote!"

Comment

I think achievements would be a different topic to discuss but ultimately I could see some of them tied into class system. Serving in legio for X years raises standings by Y. Being a known criminal lowers standings by X based on Y # of arrests. Though I don't think you could punish a known criminal's class for being a criminal if he holds legit holdings. I.e. a certain establishment we all know of.

Found an old @request that got denied in 2009 when I was running Crimson Sunrise Mercantile Company and Lottery Holdings on Eyago:
                            Census Correction- Eyago Retoreni
                            Office of Records
                            To whom it may concern:
                            I, Eyago Retoreni, am petitioning my status as a citizen. I am currently
                            listed in the census as a Head count, however I am the owner of the Crimson
                            Sunrise Mercantile Company which also holds two lotteries.
                            I make roughly 100 talents yearly in revenue from my lotteries. As well as
                            another 100 talents in the trade industry.
                            I also run a brokerage service which nets me about 50 talents yearly.
                            This leaves my revenue at a yearly rate of 250 talents. This clearly is an
                            error on the census records to list me as a Head count. If in any way possible
                            this error could be corrected, I'd greatly appreciate it.
                            *a large flashy signature rests at the bottom of the sheet of vellum*
                            Eyago Retoreni
                            [Tried to mail this to Gratia Orbillo as I was told icly that was what i had
                            to do. But she's not listed at the mail office. It's just a hope.]

Comment

My take on the class system:
                              • Allow VC's to use VC credits as an option to purchase small holdings or jobs for RP purposes similar to patricians. Also open this up to current characters in form of IG money or maybe RPs.
                              • Jobs obtained this way should have various worth and cost weight. There should be punishments or loss of class rating for not RP'ing a job that you have. Example: Veridio is a hunter by trade. If he goes around for 3 RL months his hunter job holdings should either a) not pay out or b) not count towards class rating for that IG year.
                              • Jobs/Holdings could be active or passive. Perhaps you own Belhrad's building and charge substantial rent cause business is booming. Higher cost weight but also higher worth.
                              • Minimum holdings to bump from headcount to fifth class is 45K denars or 28.8T per IG year. That's reasonably attainable as a baseline with moderate effort into the system. Ordo Equestrian (1st Class) is Top 500 citizens. A goal people who actively seek out this system as an RP mechanism is much higher to attain with a minimum of 400k denars or 256T.
                              • Allow purchase of IG citizenship via money or allow higher ranking citizens to sponsor foreigners.

Comment

Working...
                              X