Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road Building (and other related information)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Building (and other related information)

How To Build A Road
    1. Dig! Keep digging until you've made the ditch wide and deep enough.
    2. Layer in Gravel! Gravel can be gained by using the command SHOVEL <SACK> with a digging implement and a road-building Gravel Sack. Works in mines.
    3. Layer in Sand! Sand can be gained by using the command SHOVEL <SACK> with a digging implement and a road-building Sand Sack. Works at beaches.
    4. Layer in more Gravel until evenly distributed!
    5. Layer in more Sand until evenly distributed!
    6. Layer in yet more Gravel until evenly distributed!
    7. Layer in yet more Sand until evenly distributed!
    8. Layer in even more Gravel until evenly distributed!
    9. Layer in even more Sand until evenly distributed!
    10. Lay cobblestones! PLACE (or DROP) COBBLESTONE in the area with four fully distributed layers of alternating sand and gravel while holding a proper wooden mallet to tap the cobblestones into position.
    Tools required: Wooden Mallet, Sand Sacks, Gravel Sacks, Shovel, Packs of Cobblestones.

Other Miner Changes (HA! Pun.)
    • Supplies for Road Building are now sold in a new shop in Vet (along with small wagons because...hauling).
    • You'll notice that mining has gotten a facelift! It now works on a progress basis instead of a pass/fail basis. (Even failure grants a little mining progress.)
    • To mine, simply MINE HERE inside a mine while wielding either a Chisel Hammer, a Two-Handed Pick Axe, or the old 'Pickaxe' item.
    • Two-handed pick axes are a thing now! Much like Chisel Hammers can be used with One-Handed Crushing, Two-Handed Pick Axes can now be used with Two-Handed Axes!
    • Chisel hammers increase the gem-finding progress and the general 'get something' progress while pick axes give more overall progress, but don't move the meter on gem-finding much.
    • The rocks you get from mining (rocks, not the precious stones) will come into play soon (another update coming soon).
    • The ore you manage to get, however, is currently sell-able (To Blacksmiths...and Borkos). Although, unprocessed, most common ores will not be worth a lot for now.
    Last edited by Tale; 06-03-2019, 11:03 AM.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Okay here is a problem. I think. These sacks of gravel and sand, are heavy if they're full. And the only way they are useable is if they are full, if they're not full you get "There is insufficient sand in this sack" when you go to dump them at the site. I have a half filled sack hauled to the site and can't do anything with it. So it will have to be hauled back to the sand producing pit and filled. This really limits the people who can actually do what needs to be done to those with a lot of strength. You're asking a lot out a small number of people when you consider how much of this has to be transported and shoveled. These sacks need to hold less, so that more people can 1. Fill them 2. Carry them, and actually fulfill what needs done. I would suggest that they hold less (100lbs would be a good number, currently they're about 250) and with that change, have the road still require the same number of bags. I understand this isn't supposed to be easy, but it should not be this hard either.

For me, I can carry like 469 lbs I think. But I can only carry one sack at a time, and as far as wagons go? Three sacks. so that's 4 sacks to be pulled in a wagon, which will take how long? You're wanting people to have fun, not dread logging in. Yes, we seem to enjoy menial tasks, but there does come a point where it's not fun anymore.

This is a very time intensive, unrewarding work. To be honest. I have enjoyed a good bit of it and some of the interactions, and it will last awhile while it is new, but this will quickly wane, as it did on the last road and this road is twice as long.

I just really think that it needs to be made, a little less of a job.

20 sacks of sand per square x 250 squares = 5000 sacks of sand
    20 sacks of gravel per square x 250 squares = 5000 sacks of gravel

3 sacks pulled by wagon to location, varying but anywhere from potentially 150 to 350 squares.
    Last edited by Knowless; 06-02-2019, 10:48 PM. Reason: added numbers

Comment

The idea of a catapult is sounding gravel hitting is smart
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

there's a problem, TALE:
        It's gravel then sand, not sand then gravel.
        gravel x 5, sand x 5, gravel x 5, sand x 5, gravel x 5, sand x 5, gravel x 5, sand x 5
        then.... 5 backpacks of cobblestone or... 100 cobbles.
        then, finished road segment.
        Might want to update your posts here, and in the minor changes section. Finished one section of the road.

Comment

I should probably mention that I decreased the amount of sand/gravel you need by 25% before this project began. And we now have personal wagons. So building this road is at least 25% easier to build than the Blackvine road was. You don't have to carry the sacks. Sacks were dragged to where they were needed, because gravel and sand are both very heavy objects. And you're filling a ditch that is 80x40x8. You can still drag them if you need to. It's just easier if you get people who can carry a lot to pack them onto wagons.

The road to Blackvine was made over the course of several months. I expect if people keep this pace it'll be far less time to finish, even though this road is literally 19 paces away from being twice as long.
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Wagons really are not that big a blessing. When they can only carry 3 sacks (for me, and that's if you have mules back and great strength). Then pulling is SLOW. I'd rather carry one sack back and forth 3 times than pull a wagon once. So, wagons. Not very helpful.

What I'm trying to say is that a good many of the characters in this game can not even fill the sacks fully (which they have to be in order to be used) or lift them or put them in the wagons nor pull the wagons at all. It's all strength based. I don't care if it requires more sacks at 100lbs instead of 250lbs in order to complete, but everyone should be able to lift and fill the sacks to participate. Right now, once digging is over, they won't be able to do much because they won't be able to lift anything or even fill anything. Unless they're very strong. They will have to depend on those who are to do all the work.

Right now you see the pace that is moving forward, but it's new and everyone is able to do something, but that will not last, people will get tired of it eventually. By the end of the Blackvine road there were very few people working on it to see it finished. And not to be repetitive, but this road is very nearly twice as long.

All I'm asking for is to make it so that everyone is included and not a small few is ABLE to do all the work. Making the sacks fill to a lesser weight would not be so horrible. We don't need realism in this, it is going to be hard enough as it is. This is a game. Don't make the pb work for it quite so hard, because the likelihood is that they won't.

We want this to be fun. So please, a little mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
              I should probably mention that I decreased the amount of sand/gravel you need by 25% before this project began. And we now have personal wagons. So building this road is at least 25% easier to build than the Blackvine road was. You don't have to carry the sacks. Sacks were dragged to where they were needed, because gravel and sand are both very heavy objects. And you're filling a ditch that is 80x40x8. You can still drag them if you need to. It's just easier if you get people who can carry a lot to pack them onto wagons.

The road to Blackvine was made over the course of several months. I expect if people keep this pace it'll be far less time to finish, even though this road is literally 19 paces away from being twice as long.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that dragging didn't suck stamina at all and the limit one could drag was significantly higher when the Blackvine road was constructed. I don't know how nasty the back end of what you're doing is, but could total weight of materials not be substituted for number of full sacks? This sounds superficial but if the back end of the code is bad nasty we get it and saying so would probably shut down the debate. I'm just excited that actions my character takes can forever change the look of the game world. We don't often get these opportunities.

Comment

Sand and gravel sacks now only carry half the sand/gravel as before. This means they weigh half as much, take up half as much volume, and you'll need twice as many of them to finish a layer. This should make them much more accessible for low-strength characters.
                Game Master Tale

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Blackvine took almost half a year and was one of the best rp the game world had. Look at that plaque so many involved. Good times
                    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Working...
                    X