No announcement yet.

Agility.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never said great stats were rare in game, however I don't think the bonus is that great against NPC's. Unless brutes are higher then grandmasters, they got 5-20's on Viv before she was about level 25. Yes it is harder for PC's to hit her when she is sparring them, but never has she been 95 against a grandamaster. She could hold her own, even when she was less skilled, but they could still hit her.

As for strength not being that big of a deal, when I created Viv she had above average strength, now she has fairly good. Immedetely after that her number of crits in the alleys, the number of more serious wounds increased overnight.

I still believe some people are more difficult to hit whether they are standing in berserk or not. I could concede a great reduction in the bonus when in berserk, but some people are just innately a lot harder to hit.

Viv

Comment

By Andrew04:
      After all, berserk is an all-out attack.

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you there. The stances represent a range of attack/defense ratios. If berserk were an all-out attack, you would never be able to make any defensive moves and your defense should drop much lower than it does. Conversely, if the defensive stance were purely defensive you would never be able to attack someone. Since that isn't the case you can assume that berserk is relative; it means that you are spending most of your efforts on harming someone and little effort trying to protect yourself, but it doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything at all to protect yourself. Agility should always apply in defense. Whether it applies too much or not, though, I'm not sure.

And Thugga has 2 stats at Very Good, and everything else lower. Even a Poor stat. I guess my stats are lame.
      Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
      Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Who needs stats, blah!

When I was playing, I had three crippled legs, a torn abdomen and fifteen poor stats! You whippersnappers with your very goods and inhumans and superhumans... blah to that!

Blue

P.S. I was pretty good at gladius with merely a very good strength and a plethora of near-average scores (even below average endurance )....

Old Whippersnapper (Not as old as one would think)
        I don't think you ready, for this jelly

Comment

Originally posted by Atama

If berserk were an all-out attack, you would never be able to make any defensive moves.[/B]
          In berserk, blocks and dodges are totally useless.

Comment

I think he was saying that no matter what you were fighting they would have like a sucsess of 5 or 0. Maybe I am wrong.

Viv

Comment

TEC's explanation of th stances.

berserk All offense, no defensive capability
              aggressive Mostly offensive, little defensive capability
              normal Equal attention to offense and defense
              wary Mostly defense, little offensive capability
              defensive All defense, no offensive capability

Comment

I know what the stances are Andrew and what they mean..What I think Atama was saying was that if you were in berserk, you would be totally defenseless and as easy to hit as a novice stepping away from Pheadro in berserk, but since things such as skill in your weapon and ACM's and Sheilds as well as your stats are factored into the sucsess when you are in berserk. Your dodges might not work, but you are harder to hit if you are a grandmaster in ACM's in berserk than someone who doesn't know them even if you aren't using your dodges. Otherwise, the berserk stance would consistantly be the same for everyone...nothing.

Viv

Comment

Originally posted by Viviana
                  but since things such as skill in your weapon and ACM's and Sheilds as well as your stats are factored into the sucsess when you are in berserk. Your dodges might not work, but you are harder to hit if you are a grandmaster in ACM's in berserk than someone who doesn't know them even if you aren't using your dodges. Otherwise, the berserk stance would consistantly be the same for everyone...nothing.

Viv
                  Viviana, I hate to tell you this, but I'm outstanding in my ACMs, I'm learning shields, and I'm a grand master knivesman that knows his blocks rather well. When I'm in berserk, I'm just as easy to hit as the first day I woke up at Phaedro. When you are berserk you have NO defenses. Nothing else is factored into it other than your agility. And no matter how agile a person is, if they don't duck, dodge, or block an attack, they're going to be just as easy to hit as a person that has the agility of a brick.
                  ~Lyrad: The old knivesman.~

Comment

I was only trying to explain what I thought Atama said. On the otherhand, my stats in berserk have changed.*shrug*

Viv

Comment

i agree with Andrew makes me feel sick to know that i train me blocks real high and some one new comes in with exceptional agilty or more and has a huge advantage.
                      *Is the most electrifying Gladiator in blood sports entertainment history*

Comment

Speed and Agility

It would seem more likely that speed would be the countering stat for agility, so exceptional speed against exceptional agility would nullify things and make them even again. If you're fast enough with your attack to match someone's defensive speed, the advantage isn't there. Does this already work like this? Seems like that would make up for knives' weakness if their speed countered the agility bonus.

Open to discussion

Helio
                        Last edited by Helio; 07-03-2001, 12:46 PM.
                        "There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."
                        ~Arthur C. Clark

Comment

Thanks Viviana, that was what I was trying to say.

I know that if I'm fighting, say, an Osecar and I go into berserk mode, the thing still can't hit me. And I have no ACMs or shields, and just basic block at a low level. If I was just standing still, then it should have like a 5 success.

Ok, let's assume that in berserk mode you aren't blocking. But what does the word berserk conjure in most people's minds? A madman charging with a weapon, running all over the place. Definitely not standing still! You might not be intentionally dodging, but if you move around alot just to attack people, then a higher agility could easily equate to more movement, which would equal a higher success for enemies. Of course, speed should also factor in this case, I don't know if it does or not.

But if the help files were 100% accurate, and you had "no offensive capabilities" in a defensive stance, then how could you ever attack someone in that stance? But you can. So you can't rely on what that help file says, it's inaccurate.

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Something i think you guys are forgetting to take into account, is size and weight. I mean think about it, you are this 6'2 guy, picking on a 5'3 guy. Because of the size difference, hitting the 5'3 guy would be a tad bit harder than hitting somebody that is 6'0, and with the same agility as the 5'3 guy. The smaller an object is compared to another object, the smaller the target area would become, thus it would be harder to hit the target. This would also be true...the bigger an object, the more of it there is to hit, thus greatly reducing the difficulty to hit it.

My character has phenominal agility and is 6'0(or something like that above 6 feet) and i have sparred with many people, ranging from beginner to Outstanding. True, the newer people cant touch me, for the simple fact that they are not skill enough in their weapon, but i have fought people that were at farmiliar, and had almost no trouble hiting me when in agg or beserk(around 30-40 success). ANd i have sparred with Dragoon.....he was able to hit me no problem, with success around or between 5-20, and thats just in agg and normal.

So.....spar with someone smaller than you, then find someone about as tall or taller than you but with the same agility as the first person you spared....see if its harder or not to hit

Comment

Whole Lotta Bull being flung!

My main character has Inhuman agility and while it does give him a big advantage....it in no way has ever made him as hard ta hit as Andrew is claiming.
                              When I am in berserk jess bout anyone with any real skill can hit me and hit me with not much difficulty. Even though I have several ACM moves and all my Stave defenses between 20-10.
                              Think about it...do we really want the GM's ta mess with the stats?
                              I think the stats work jess fine....you don't like yer stats work at the obstacle course or pump um up with RP's don't like that? than Role-up a new character till ya get one ya do like.
                              Even when my character was a 'NEWBIE' and had no skills persae yeah....he was alot harder ta hit than most (NEWBIES) but never has he been impossible ta hit......I do get remarks from people that I am hard ta hit....but these are usually people with ALOT of skills and used ta seeing much better success rates than they get on me. By this I mean maybe they are used to getting success of 25% when in berserk against their opponent and against me it is like 45% or 55%. Sounds right if I am supposed ta be so Agile as ta be considered Inhuman. While it does happen from time to time that I get someone who has a hard time getting a success lower than 85% on me....this usually isn't the case if I am in berserk....almost never in fact can I go berserk and they still have such terrible success rates.....
                              Now as regards npc's like Brutes and Thugs and such.....seems like they hit me all da time....least they don't seem ta have much difficulty ....so
                              Andrew you are WAY over-exagerating things to make yer point which, in my opinion is A WHOLE LOTTA BULL.

Jess me thoughts,

Last edited by Malastar1; 07-03-2001, 04:11 PM.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Comment

Girwin, I'm pretty sure that the GMs posted earlier that size and weight were roleplaying factors only and had no bearing on your actual stats...

As for taller being harder to hit someone, in a way that's true. But it is harder to hit someone in the head when they are taller, and fighting someone shorter than you gives you the gravity advantage, meaning the majority of your blows will be downward and gravity will add both force and speed to your blows. You may have heard about generals seeking to gain the "higher ground", that's because fighting someone below you is often an advantage. This applies both to terrain and height.

Comment

Working...
                                X