Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 sens

Originally posted by Macro

I for one believe that if you work hard in your weapon you shouldn't be penalised.
    Tell that to all the spear users that have been around for a while. And for those of you who don't know me, I've never touched a spear in my life.

This debate has basically been split down the lines of 'haves' and 'have nots'. Don't touch my agility if it's high, Tone it down if it's low. Not everybody that posted have fallen in those categories, but the theme of the posts certainly have.

The bottom line in my opinion is, if something is out of whack in the overall scheme of things (and yes, it may REQUIRE comparing apples to rocks), then a change would be warrented for the simple fact that the staff have made no beef about play balance being one of the most important goals to ensure a good environment to all. Strip bonuses away from my chars if it improves things overall... I'm not that selfish. I want a better game, always.

My personal opinion on the agility debate? It should matter... it matters a touch too much compared to the fequency of effect of a lot of other attributes.
    The sooner you procrastinate, the more time you have to catch up.

Comment

okay, i've been reading this threadand trying to stay out of it but come on!! A couple points:

1. Of course agilty has a greater effect on combat than strength! why.. i guess it could be that ,from my experience, it's the only thing agility affects, whereas strength gives you both combat and carrying bonuses. (try playing a character with below average strength and then tell me how much those carrying bonuses are appreciated)

2 As has already been stated, everytime something is "toned down" it seems to have caused more harm than good.

3. From actual RL experience agility DOES make a hell of a lot of difference in combat more than brute strength anyways. If you need an example look at Bruce Lee or James Dukes, yes they had a lifetime of training which Included ALOT of agility training for a reason. (someone else with experience please back me up on this one)

4. If Agility makes such a HUGE difference, train for it! You can do that, unlike stats like reasoning which affect SP gain and CANNOT be improved on!

5. combat is apparantly going to be becoming a smaller part of TEC so why should we try to otake up GM's time with this when sooo many other great non -combative things are going on and soon!

after stating all that, i'll just state for the record that my main cha. has only average agility,(and yes, he is the weakling as well, but training hard! damn that rope!!!!! ;OD) but i've always found "less than fantastic stats a greater opportunity for RPing.

but that's just my opinion *shrug*
      LOTS of people in the US are mentally retarded - Miriam

Iridine's finest gladiator stable:
      http://xfuj.com/tec/cl/

Comment

Re: Agility and shields

Originally posted by Macro
        The bonus really isn't that huge.
        The bonus is massive. In over a year of building my character up, through the obstacle courses, through training my blocks, my main character is about as hard to hit in aggressive stance as someone beginning with very good agility. This equals about four game years of development.

I can't get it higher through training the obstacle course: already done that. It doesn't give me roleplaying opportunities: the difference is so high that it in fact disqualifies me from some of the more violent conflict situations with other players.

I'd either like to see the benefit of agility halved or given a diminishing return like training is. And of course it would only be applied to new characters.
        will nobody help the widow's son?

Comment

We shouldn't be hitting each other anyway. We have enough NPCs to dodge.

My main character's dexterity sucks. My Altene bonus didn't help there. She was born with very good agility and damn it, she better be harder to hit. Her strength isn't that great, so she isn't gonna hit you that hard, her speed is average so she isn't gonna get but one hit to a faster person's two or three hits. So she has one stat going for her. Do I gripe? No. Its the luck of the draw.

The only way I will ever accept the 'toning down' of my one good stat is if speed is toned down as well. Make that ALL the stats. Like someone stated before, get rid of all the stats. Yeah. That will make the game world better. Right...

I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
          Or. . .
          We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

comparing rocks to apples

Originally posted by Jolee
            [B]The only way I will ever accept the 'toning down' of my one good stat is if speed is toned down as well. Make that ALL the stats. Like someone stated before, get rid of all the stats. Yeah. That will make the game world better. Right...
            You can't substitute speed for training. If you're missing it doesn't matter how many times you miss. You can't substitute strength for training. The strength behind a shot that misses is irrelevent. You CAN substitute agility for training, a substantial amount of training. That's the arguement.

It seems to me that the stats system and the stance/blocks system was designed at different times with different goals in mind.

Fair enough that some people are going to be more agile than other people. It's nonsense though to suggest that after four years combat training my 'agility' is going to be similar to that of before I started.

And tonights arena event is the perfect example of a violent player versus player event.

Twice at gladiator events I've been defeated by people who have had substantially better agility, once by someone who I should've ground into the sand. The second I thought I had been set up with superior opponents as some kind of humiliation. Talking to GMs after it turned out that my team was of equal skill to the opponents, just that thier agility made our defeat crushing. In berserk I could barely hit them with my best moves while they were normal/aggressive. It turned out all the training I had done was pointless, someone with better agility was guarenteed victory no matter how many skill points I had spent. I don't participate in the arena anymore, despite how much I'd like to.

If all stats were equal there wouldn't be people rerolling characters and fudging with merits/flaws to get the best possible agility.
            will nobody help the widow's son?

Comment

Re: comparing rocks to apples

Originally posted by illabrat

Talking to GMs after it turned out that my team was of equal skill to the opponents, just that thier agility made our defeat crushing. In berserk I could barely hit them with my best moves while they were normal/aggressive. It turned out all the training I had done was pointless, someone with better agility was guarenteed victory no matter how many skill points I had spent. I don't participate in the arena anymore, despite how much I'd like to.

If all stats were equal there wouldn't be people rerolling characters and fudging with merits/flaws to get the best possible agility.
              Illibrat stop your whining. Yeah that's right, you're whining.
              You just admitted that the GM's told you that the skills of you're opponnent were about equal with you. The difference was they had better agility....(probably extremely good agility). Sounds like you lost a battle you SHOULD have lost to me. Agility should make a big difference against two opponnent of equal SKILL, but where one has much superior Agility. How long have you been playing TEC? Sounds to me like you are whining just because you want everyone to be judged Merely on their SKILLS alone. That's not TEC and it's not LIFE either. In RL I know people who couldn't shoot a basketball half as good as me. But dang it! they we're quick/fast/agile and moved around me on the court like I was standing still!!! Booo Hooo! Please God....please take away their agility....please take away their speed.....please ....so I can BEAT them!!!! Please.....gimme a break!

In RL how did I approach the problem on the court? I trained, trained, trained, trained...until I was even more accurate/deadly with my shot. This helped to balance out my skill and their NATURAL abilities. Note I said helped.....I still met people that were just NATURALLY gifted who devoted as much time to their training as I did (maybe MORE) who I could only admire for their sheer abilities on the court.....they were/are amazing to watch.....Take Michael Jordan for example....you think his skills on the court we're all simply from training? What about Kobe.....or Iverson.....etc etc etc.....no way....these guys are better than most of the other players around them not just because of their skills....but because of a Natural ability.
              Take Shaq for example.....My GOD!! Ever see anyone able to stand up to this guy on the court? Personally, I don't really care for Shaq....don't much like the guy's personality....but DANG! ya gotta admire him on the court....for sheer size and strength he is almost totally unstoppable...NO MATTER how skilled his opponnent is. Why? Because of his Natural Abilities......take the same player and give him....oh...say a 6'6" body, and ...oh...say bout the size of Rodman, well...hey...come on, he'd no longer be the dominating force on the court that he IS. Do you see all the other players in the NBA saying.....it's NOT FAIR.....He's tooo big....too strong.......Boo Hooo. Nope...they admire his Natural Abilities and respect him for it.....while at the same time....working all the harder on their own skills.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Comment

Agility

I have never had a character with agility greater than above average.
                Personally I just think the stats system should be left alone.
                There are many other things that need work on.
                I don't think the stats system is one of them.
                I am training hard on the courses to improve my crappy stats, have been for over a year since I started bothering with the courses again.
                Fair play, you do get some people rolling and re rolling for good stats, but surely something should be done about this rather than asking for agility to be toned down?
                Nothing has changed about the stats. They have always been this way. Why all of a sudden are people asking for them to be toned down, more specifically agility?
                I have never been too big on combat, but I don't see why if something is not broke it should be fixed.
                hmmm Bartimus what do you mean about spears (I have a spear user)?

Macro
                Macro

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not outside, not on other people. That comes afterwards, when you have worked on your own corner.
                - Aldous Huxley

Comment

My main character has been trying to be a healer for ages now. He has crappy dexterity, so even after training heavily in many ways his skills are easily surpassed by someone with high dexterity. Thats part of life. He has crappy dexterity because he has other stats that are better. It all balances out. If you are trying to be good at something you have no natural talent for, dont delude yourself, you will never be very good at it. Learn what you have a talent for, and work to improve that talent. If you dont have a talent for combat, find out what you do have a talent for.

While I hesitate to mention names, Illabrat, Didius will never be the healer that you are. I hope, Illabrat will never be the fighter that Didius is. Such things are what makes life interesting.

Cheers,
                  Didius

Comment

Cheese?

So, let me get this straight, you don't have realy good agility, you want it, but can't get it, so you are going to whine about it untill you ruin it for those who have it.

HHmmm....

How about this, Just suck it up and press on.

Let the flames begin..
                    You moan, "So, let me get this straight....."

You moan to Mauvelous the Vampire, "Hragtorth is doing perverted things with potatos, and you humped Ced's leg."

You moan, "Yep, sounds like the clan is going well."

Comment

Good post Malastar, but went a lil too far into basketball then needed. Most people prolly didnt have a clue what you were saying after a while, but the first part was well done.

Syrolus is someone that has overcome weak agility to become the best fighter in the game, if not one of the best. It's all about overcoming your weaknesses and making them your strengths.

Jkidd

Comment

Thanks!

Yeah, I have a real love for basketball....could ya tell?

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Comment

This is for Andrews post he's never seen a 2 second hitter...

My knifer Histasius has exc speed and does sub 1 second hits with knife when he goes on a roll (bug I guess, supposed to work fine after 50 total offense ranks). It's actually around .5-.75 second hits, virtually no rolltime. With the boisin dag he does 1.25-1.75 second hits.

The above Good speed knifers you'll find don't really work until you cross a total 50 ranks in Knives overall... don't ask me, it's just weird. I'm still checkin' that out.

What's scary is that there's people out there with Inhuman Speed.

*winces*

0 second Rolls

In the process of writing a VB macro loader to pop 5 attacks in the macro bar as we speak... getting jumped by someone and not being able to attack as fast as you can just cause you can't type 400wpm sucks. Anyways, I'll post the URL to it when I'm done.

-- Saed, Histasius, a skinny pale kid with a Nike cap and a book

Comment

*shrieks*
                            It rose from the dead!
                            *eyes the zombie thread warily*

Viv

Comment

*gasps* How dare you post against yourself and objectively take a look at an unfair advantage? This doesn't happen in TEC. We fight desperately to maintain and keep our unfair advantage.

Andrew's player.

Excessive basic ranks help to balance out agility. *beams*

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew04

Excessive basic ranks help to balance out agility. *beams*
                                *yawns*
                                Sort of like mental stats for non-com huh? Lucklily you can raise agility at the courses. Or not to expect a character created as a thief, healer, locksmith, tailor or outdoorsperson to be a be an incredible warrior as well as a master at non-combat. If the opposite were the case, the non-combat character turned warrior would have an unfair advantage.

Anyway this horse is beaten so hard that it isn't even fit for Alpo.

Viv

Comment

Working...
                                X