Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Constable's Jurisdicition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constable's Jurisdicition

I wanted to know everyone's oppinion on this, i personally think that Constables shouldn't be allowed to arrest outside the city walls, because it is out of their jurisdiction, and so do a few others i know.
    Yes; They have Jurisdiction everywhere within the republic
    41.38%
    Yes; they should be allowed to along Vetallun road untill they reach Vetallun
    13.79%
    No; They do not have Jurisdiction
    34.48%
    No; I am a thief and i want to have a safe place to hide from them
    10.34%
    <Pandarus thinks aloud: Oh Ereal's blazing jewels, I'm on my way.>

Sorry Luci. Have to disagree. The Justice or somebody sent Soren to Monlon to get a criminal once. So evidently it's within their jurisdiction. And I think that is a good thing, otherwise we'd have to get into the whole recruiting Vetallun constables and Monlon vigiles thing and then the PC would be stuck in these locations. In case ya hadn't noticed, there is nothing to do in Vetallun. Monlon is a little better cause you have the mines, but still..

I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
    Or. . .
    We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

'luci' hehe, i haven't been called that for a while...
      And, well, the Justice in my oppinion already needs to be smacked for some really awfull decisions on his part, and i can picture him sending constables outside of their jurisdiction to retrieve people... sounds more like a mob boss than a Judge to me...
      -Lucentius

Comment

Stuff

No idea why this is a poll *shrugs*. Constables authority stretches throughout the entire republic, for now(oh yes, that includes the portal ). First off, the 'I'm out of your jurisdiction' thing is pointless for the time we're in. Unlike today, if your 5 feet, to five miles outside someone's 'real' jurisdiction, and they see you commit a crime, they will deal with it, and the court system isn't going to take into consideration, 'But he wasn't in his jurisdiction.' Secondly, you can't have a portion of the gameworld that is completly without the possibility of law, and law enforcement. Ideally constables themselves would be limited to within a mile of the walls of Iridine, mostly just because it would take to much for them to patrol anything else. Other areas would have other forms of law enforcement (meaning that while the constables wouldn't really have 'jurisdiction' over everything anymore, the entire gameworld would still fall under the rule of law), however right now, the gameworld is to small to support this. We've talked about creating a seperate Monlon department (We were actually going to do a Monlon Vetallun department when the ladder was still there, but with that gone we scraped the plans), however Monlon isn't really big enough, and while yes I know there is some crime there now, sending a batch of constables to exclussively patrol the streets in Monlon everyday would pretty much end any crime there, and end up being very boring for the people stationed there to work. Because the rest of the world is to small to support it's various independent police forces, the constables as they stand now, fill in for them.

Oh and as a fairly obscure piece of information, the constable Headquarters in the forum is just that, a Head quarters. Iridine is itself divided into various precincts, each with a prison, a captain (All who report to the legate), and their own limits on jurisdiction. The building in the forums is the main constable building, being the largest, and holding the offices.

Comment

I have been told that Constable's jurisdiction ends at one mile from the City's center. And, as Annatar said, I have heard that it ends at one mile from the walls.

Supposedly, Legio jurisdiction begins where the Constable's ends. But, the Legio can't mechanically do anything about criminals, which is quite disappointing to some of us, especially within our 'jurisdiction.'

Comment

I should add that PC legionaires can't do anything about criminals.

NPCs can. Good role-playing, eh?

Comment

RE:

I agree I think if someone breaks the law within the city it would be the constable responsibility to arrest them but if outside the walls I think the Rangers would be a little better considering that the outdoors is what they should be protecting.
              ~Thoric~

Comment

I thought Rangers protected trees? Like armed environmentalists?
                Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
                Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

wait a minute...

The rangers are neither a force created by the government nor an auxiliary army, I wouldn't put my faith in a vigilante group of torch making spear wielding nutcases to subdue villains
                  I don't think you ready, for this jelly

Comment

Agreeing with Enkar

Enkar writes:
                    Supposedly, Legio jurisdiction begins where the Constable's ends. But, the Legio can't mechanically do anything about criminals, which is quite disappointing to some of us, especially within our 'jurisdiction.'
                    I agree that player Legionaires should have the powers to arrest like NPC Soldiers can, after all, there is supposed to be no difference, right? I could even understand the GMs just allowing PC officers to arrest and warrant, even though regular NPC soldiers can.

And, My oppinions honestly aren't swayed by the fact that i play a Legionaire, i have felt this way for quite some time.

-Lucentius/Driya

Comment

I too have heard that the Legio has jurisdiction about a mile out of the city limits, however, I've also heard that the likelihood of the Legio getting arresting priviledges or even the right to force a criminal into submission are slim to none. Don't hold your breath.

Besides, if they get out of hand we could always go to martial law. I really suggest it doesn't get that far though. But then again, I'd get to smash some heads in. So go ahead, make my day.
                      "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

Guard Rangers having authority?

Guard Ranger (Custodes) having the authority to hunt down thieves and criminals outside the city limits?

WOO-HOO!!! Commission me now!!!

(Eyeshift)

On behalf of the Collegium Lignatorium....

Comment

Stuff.

2 reasons PC legionars don't have law enforcement power. 1) We have enough PC law officers as it is with just the constables, extending that to the legio would add in another 15 or so unneeded law officers.

2) The legio's main purpose is to fight external threats, not deal with law breakers. Give them the power to dispense warrants, and that will quickly change into the legio becomming a secondary constable force, spending most of it's time answering more complaints and calls for assistence then it already does.

Comment

You misunderstand, Annatar.

NPC legionaries have the authority to warrant. PC legionaries do not. There is a conflict there. I know why NPCs have that authority, but that does not matter. If they have it we should have it. If we don't have it, they shouldn't have it. In my opinion, warranting should be pulled from the NPCs.

The Legio plays such a small role in Midlight now--PC wise. It seems it will stay like that for a long time. My problem with the warranting issue is that we can be warranted doing our jobs. If we beat on someone in Vetallun or Monlon, we get warrants.

Anyway, this is not the thread to rant about the Legio. Enough has been said about this many, many times.

Comment

Nice try but...

Originally posted by Blueicus
                              The rangers are neither a force created by the government nor an auxiliary army, I wouldn't put my faith in a vigilante group of torch making spear wielding nutcases to subdue villains
                              Gotta love the wisecrack attempts on the Guard Rangers.

1. We are not a force created by the government - True
                              2. Nor an auxiliary army - False; Actually we are an official auxiliary unit of the Legio
                              3. Vigilante group - False; Our purpose is not to beat on thieves but to protect outdoorsman
                              4. Torch making - False; There might be one Guard Ranger that can make torches, but I wouldn't put any money on that
                              5. Spear wielding - False as of the moment; We have yet to recruit a spear wielder
                              6. Nutcases - Only some of us *eyeshift*
                              7. Subdue villians - False; We don't subdue bandits, we kill them on sight.

Congratulations, in your post you managed to make 1.5 true statements. (nutcase part is only half)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information