Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Clubs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clubs!

Wouldnt it be nice to have more types of clubs?
    first we got the basic club a rubbish piece of wood,
    the short spindley club a rubbish piece of wood,
    the long Club a slightly longer rubbish piece of wood,
    then the banded club still a rubbish piece of wood with a band on,
    then the spiked club a rubbish piece of wood with a few spikes on
    the mace is a nice bit of metal and along with the blackroot these are the only two half decent weapons.
    If ya look at Glads all though you training you can aim towards getting a Retalq!! the monster of all glads,
    In clubs you get to aim for a Blackroot, a very affordable weapon, even for the practiced player. At little under 6T for the best clubs weapon a week in the alleys and you can buy it....Nothing to aim for.

Lets us have war-hammers!!!!
    Let us have truncheaons!!

something to really fracture them bones.

please!!!

Austinus
    [Difficulty: 45 , Roll: 100]
    In an impressive show of strength, you wrench away your iron cestus from a man in a hooded cloak and send his razor-sharp iron scylesca with an engraved handle flying!
    You are no longer busy.

You take a razor-sharp iron scylesca with an engraved handle.
    You put a razor-sharp iron scylesca with an engraved handle in a black doeskin large sack.

perhaps...

I heard there's some new staves shop coming out, perhaps it'll also include clubs. maybe.

truncheons, I've seen em on constables. Big nasty clubs.
    Blackroot clubs are supposed to be the biggest clubs around,
    huge things that require great strength and two hands, so I guess they'll remain the most powerful clubs around even if truncheons are introduced.
    Optio Takius Proteus of Legio I Invex, Cohort I Rearing Stallion, Eagle First Century, Lion Squad (retired).

Comment

hmmmm

but the problem with blackroots is the 2 handed wielding, doesnt work too well with shields as you can probably guess. So that leaves me with a mace. A truncheon is one handed..there should be more good one handed clubs or clubbing weapons after all the skill is one-handed crushing!! with one-handed axes the blackroot war axe cant be used...
      [Difficulty: 45 , Roll: 100]
      In an impressive show of strength, you wrench away your iron cestus from a man in a hooded cloak and send his razor-sharp iron scylesca with an engraved handle flying!
      You are no longer busy.

You take a razor-sharp iron scylesca with an engraved handle.
      You put a razor-sharp iron scylesca with an engraved handle in a black doeskin large sack.

Comment

You see, though, a blackroot club is still just a huge lump of wood. The reason that the retalq and boisin gladii are so expensive is because, well, they're retalq and boisin, and they use a hell of a lot of metal.

But not sixteen pounds worth.
        The brightblads.com gladius weighs two pounds, which should be what a bronze sword weighs. So all sword weights should be divided by five.

And I know this is possible to be done, because somewhat recently my cuirass changed from four pounds to fifteen.

[Edit: 500th post!]

Comment

Axe users are the same, if not less.. We have tin, bronze, and iron. Then there are the Blackroot Axes that are unbelievable expensive and hard to find. Frankly, I would like to see a retalq axe, asked a GM about it once, his answer, "More the the glad one, that is for sure."

My thoughts on it, "Dang nabbit.."
          "It was good talking to you friend, may we see each other again, but till then, Ereal watch over you."

Ixter Draconok

Comment

i have seen iron axes do gappers think so dont moan about them...if people dont like what they have have ya own weapons made...Retalq gladius's are like 36t! and to be honest the damage ya give with em aint the greatest, spears and tridents are cheap and do a hell of alot more damage...
            *Is the most electrifying Gladiator in blood sports entertainment history*

Comment

Roadkill, I've used every gladius around (well, unless someone has a silver or ivory gladius). And you're exactly right about retalq gladii. The damage they do isn't the best. It's far better than a tin gladius, but it's nothing compared to a spear or trident's ability. (and no, I don't think spears or tridents should be toned down. I think they're also fine the way they are)

I've seen people doing major bruises with clubs. That's right next to a fracture, I believe. I think the current selection of clubs is fine. Right now, clubs have normal clubs, maces, and spiked clubs to use. Ya look at the gladius, and all we have are gladii made of different metals. I'd loveta see other swords introduced into the game as well.
              Hey, remember me!?!

Comment

Actually, a fracture isn't so uncommon for a Blackroot club.

While I don't think the selection for the club is bad, a little extra variety never hurts.

Comment

Frankly, I would like to see a retalq axe, asked a GM about it once, his answer, "More the the glad one, that is for sure."

Whoever said that a retalq axe would be more expensive than a retalq sword was uhm...wrong. Read the description of the axe in the help files; what it says about the amount of metal being far less than the amount used for a sword is correct. Axes hafts are wooden, too, so it's cheaper all the way around.

Was a GM not doing their homework?
                  Originally posted by Mast3rmind
                  Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                  Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                  Ravenlark pats you.
                  Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Originally posted by Ixter Draconok
                    Axe users are the same, if not less.. We have tin, bronze, and iron. Then there are the Blackroot Axes that are unbelievable expensive and hard to find. Frankly, I would like to see a retalq axe, asked a GM about it once, his answer, "More the the glad one, that is for sure."

My thoughts on it, "Dang nabbit.."
                    I just think of axes as a more "primitive" kind of weapon, not nearly as common or "requested" by the general populace as the Gladius. So you have to wonder what kind of craftsmen would risk his neck working something as volatile as Retalq just to make an Axe. I'm thinking the cost would be much higher than a gladius simply because it would be a "custom" job. And in order to be worth the time and risk on the craftsmans part, you'd better be willing to pay for it.

Also, let's not forget that an askada is also a type of axe, about as rare to be seen ingame as a blackroot axe.
                    Brassy
                    Originally posted by Max Powers
                    There are a lot of options out there outside of screwing with rank bonus to accomplish balance. I am more worried about people getting bored of the game because there are zero roleplay goals to be had which leaves mechanical goals, and those are effectively being capped.

Comment

Well, you would first need to find a retalq smith.

Since it would be a custom job, it would cost more. I'd say a retalq axe would be 20-25 talents.

Comment

I would assume the real reason a retalq axe would be more expensive than a retalq gladius is game balance. A retalq axe would deal an insane amount of damage out. Brassy's explanation may work for RPing, but I think that's the real reason.

Comment

It's just as dangerous to make a sword as it is an axe.

Sorry guys, but that RP reasoning just doesn't hold water. Retalq may be dangerous to handle, but that only means that the cruder shape of the axe would mean less working of the said metal.

Oh, and while axes are an older weapon than swords, they were commonly used, which means that while they may be more 'primitive', you're still going to have as many folk asking for them as for retalq swords. Considering once again the much lower amount of the dangerous to mess with metal we're talking about....it'd be cheaper. Especially considering the easier nature of shaping the axe head as opposed to crafting a sword blade.

I can see the game balance reasoning, but no matter what you wanna say, a retalq axe would be cheaper than a retalq sword. So for IC purposes, whoever said it would be more expensive needs to read up on their weapons.
                          Originally posted by Mast3rmind
                          Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                          Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                          Ravenlark pats you.
                          Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Clubs

I think the selection is descent, no complaints really. I think clubs are the best weapons cost-wise. A 5-6t Blackroot war-club is great for the amount of damage it does (I can fracture with mine afterall). The shield thing is kind of a bummer, but *shrug* I like Blackroots....as for truncheons, I'd love to buy one somewhere...you could get one IG I suppose, but that would be a huge pain *chuckle* Anyways, I can't complain

Oh yeah, the retalq axe thing..seems kind of weird for an axe, I mean, it would be great, but ...iron axes just seem so much more brutish and axe-like

- Koeii

Comment

As a clubber, who does use a blackroot club, I say that when you pick a blackroot you are choosing offense over defense. You're trading in the defense of a shield for the AWESOME damage the blackroot does. It's sweet! (Also, I'm too lazy to want to build up a shield skill in addition to my club and ACM skill.)

From Austinus
                              You see, though, a blackroot club is still just a huge lump of wood. The reason that the retalq and boisin gladii are so expensive is because, well, they're retalq and boisin, and they use a hell of a lot of metal.
                              Not true at all. Unless Ailell gave me a custom job (doubtful since it's still just called a "blackroot war club" in my inventory) they aren't just wood. The handle is made of Retalq wrapped in leather. Therefore the cost of the club is more than justified.

For those of you who don't have a blackroot, here's a description from my club:

This is a thick warclub about 2 feet long and made of dark walnut. The stiffened handle is of retalq and heavily wrapped in leather.

And to those who are curious, they weigh 8 lbs.
                              Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
                              Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information