Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoplite Spear Combat (Spear and shield fighting style)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoplite Spear Combat (Spear and shield fighting style)

Hoplite Spear Combat

Jab and Bash

Range : Short
    Difficulty: Average

The spear wielder quickly jabs at the opponent's legs in an attempt to distract the opponent's defenses, then releases a quick high bash with the rim of his shield at the opponent.

An Aestivan hoplite quickly jabs at a cineran soldier's legs with his spear in an attempt to distract him, then thrusts the rim of his shield at a cineran soldier's head! A cineran soldier blocks an Aestivan hoplite's attack. A cineran soldier ducks under an Aestivan hoplite's attack, avoiding it completely!

An Aestivan hoplite quickly jabs at a cineran soldier's legs with his spear in an attempt to distract him, then thrusts the rim of his shield at a cineran soldier's head! A cineran soldier blocks an Aestivan hoplite's attack. He suffers a small bruise to his neck.

An Aestivan hoplite quickly jabs at a cineran soldier's legs with his spear in an attempt to distract him, then thrusts the rim of his shield at a cineran soldier's head! He suffers a faint wound to his right thigh. He suffers a bruise to his face.

Requirements: 20 ranks in jab, 10 ranks in shield bash.

The user's proficiency in jab increases the probability of distracting the opponent as well as possibly hitting with the weak jab, while the user's proficiency in shield bash helps determine the chances of hitting with the follow up bash.

Hoplite Swat

Range: short
    Difficulty: Difficult

The spear wielder tries to use his shield as a front for an attack to occupy his opponent's weapon, but brings the spear around following the shield for the actual attack.

An Aestivan hoplite turns his body using his momentum to swing his shield at a cineran soldier's knife failing to knock it out of the way, then brings his spear from behind him around for a powerful swat with the head of the spear. A cineran soldier blocks an Aestivan hoplite's spear with his knife.

An Aestivan hoplite turns his body using his momentum to swing his shield at a cineran soldier's knife knocking it out of the way (does -not- unwield or stun) then brings his spear from behind him around for a powerful swat with the head of the spear. A cineran soldier dodges an Aestivan hoplite's attack.

An Aestivan hoplite turns his body using his momentum to swing his shield at a cineran soldier's knife knocking it out of the way (does -not- unwield or stun) then brings his spear from behind him around for a powerful swat with the head of the spear. He suffers a small bruise to his waist

Requirements: 10 ranks in shield bash.

The user's proficiency in bash helps determine the chance of knocking the opponent's weapon aside, nullifying his weapon defenses. The chance to hit with the swat depends on user's ranks in Hoplite swat and the opponent's ACM and or shield defenses.

Charging Bash and stab.

Range: long

The spear wielder charges from a distance at his opponent with his shoulder pressed against his shield in an attempt to knock him down and follows the attack with a weak stab. The bash -must- connect in order to attempt a stab, but does not have to knock the opponent back or down. Also, the bash does not harm the opponent.

An Aestivan hoplite presses his shoulder into his shield and charges at a cineran soldier! A cineran soldier steps to one side, avoiding an Aestivan hoplite's attack. (does not approach the opponent)

An Aestivan hoplite presses his shoulder into his shield and charges at a cineran soldier! The attack connects with a cineran soldier, but fails to knock him down. An Aestivan hoplite quickly follows up with a weak stab. A cineran soldier blocks an Aestivan hoplite's spear with his knife. (does approach the opponent)

An Aestivan hoplite presses his shoulder into his shield and charges at a cineran soldier! The attack connects with a cineran soldier and knocks him back several feet! An Aestivan hoplite quickly follows up with a weak stab. He suffers a faint wound to the left thigh.
    (does not approach the opponent)

An Aestivan hoplite presses his shoulder into his shield and charges at a cineran soldier! The attack connects with a cineran soldier knocking him to the ground several feet away! An Aestivan hoplite quickly follows up with a weak stab. He suffers a puncture to his waist.

Requirements: 20 ranks in stab, 10 ranks in shield bash

The user's proficiency in shield bash helps determine the chances of connecting with the charge. The user's proficiency in Charging bash and stab determin's the chance of knocking the opponent back or down, and the user's proficiency in stab helps determine the chance of hitting with the stab.

Stab and Jab

Range: either

The spear wielder attempts a stab at the opponent followed by a jab.

An Aestivan hoplite quickly stabs and jabs at a cineran soldier with his spear! He misses with the stab. A cineran soldier blocks an Aestivan hoplite's spear with his knife.

An Aestivan hoplite quickly stabs and jabs at a cineran soldier with his spear! He suffers a faint wound to his waist. A cineran soldier dodges an Aestivan hoplite's attack.

An Aestivan hoplite quickly stabs and jabs at a cineran soldier with his spear! He suffers a puncture to his right thigh. He suffers a puncture to his chest.

Requirements: 30 ranks in stab, 30 ranks in jab.

The user's proficiency in spears stab and spears jab helps determine the chances of hitting with each attack respectively.

Other Notes:

The spear wielder's defenses will be normally calculated by his skills in ACM's and Shields.
    All attacks require a shield and spear being wielded -including- stab and jab because the wielder must be in the Hoplite Fighting stance. The moves stab, jab, thrust and shield bash will also be available to the wielder while in the hoplite fighting stance.

Well, thats all I have for now; thoughts, suggestions and flames are welcome.

Would definitely be cool. Losing your blocks would suck though. You'd be vulnerable to all kinds of disarms.

Comment

Essentially, you'd have the same defenses as whips.

Comment

Essentially. So who would give up spears' defense for whips'? Maybe add a couple one-handed defenses, or if that seems a little unwieldy, how about a shield or ACM block for disarms?

Comment

Sounds good, but either way, I'd love fighting with this hoplite style even without that defense. I just hate the repeating stab jab smash slash stab jab smash slash.... pretty much all I do at short range.......

Comment

My guy intended to mix in Pardelian shield moves with spears.

Now with the stance changes I don't know if he'll be able to.

I sent in a request that turtle stance be doable with a spear but the only response I got was 'We'll put this into suggestions'. I'll try again, now that the changes have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Marnevel
              Essentially. So who would give up spears' defense for whips'? Maybe add a couple one-handed defenses
              Um....how about no? How exactly do you come up with one-handed spears should have better defences than whips?
              Originally posted by Blackening
              As strange as it feels to say this, Nookie wins this thread.
              Originally posted by Max Powers
              The mighty Nookie reveals the secrets of TEC greatness!

Comment

Spears are too long and unwieldy one-handed to have any effective blocks. The shields' defense, ACMs, and a possible modified Turtle stance for Hoplite spearfighting would be effective.
                Relevant to most forum threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackening
                  Spears are too long and unwieldy one-handed to have any effective blocks. The shields' defense, ACMs, and a possible modified Turtle stance for Hoplite spearfighting would be effective.
                  Agreed.

Some other suggestions for you, Othento, for attacks in the skillset:

Charge and Thrust
                  Prerequisites: 30 ranks of Aestivan Fighting Stance, Spears Charge, and 30 ranks of Spears Overhead Thrust
                  Syntax: cthrust <target>
                  Range: Far

With this move, the attacker charges at their opponent with their shield, diverting their attention away from the spear held aloft in the other hand, that the attacker brings down in an overhead strike. This attack aims high by default, and cannot be aimed low. It is stopped by overhead blocks and swaying dodge.

[Success 50; Roll 75] You rush in with your shield raised, attempting to distract a brute with it, then bring your spear down in a crushing overhead thrust! He suffers a puncture to his left shoulder.

[Success 50; Roll 25] You rush in with your shield raised, attempting to distract a brigand with it, then bring your spear down in a crushing overhead thrust that misses. A brigand raises his shield over his head, blocking your attack.

Charge and Impale
                  Difficulty: Difficult
                  Prerequisites: 30 ranks of Charge and Thrust, and its' prerequisites.
                  Syntax: cimpale <target>
                  Range: Far

This move is similar to Charge and Thrust, but a bit more aggressive. The attacker charges into their opponent with the intent of knocking them off their feet, immediately following through with an impaling thrust. This attack cannot be aimed. This attack is stopped by cross blocks and sidestep.

[Success 50; Roll 75] You rush in with your shield raised, knocking a brute off his feet, then follow throw with a crushing thrust, driving your spear through him and impaling him on the ground! He suffers severe puncture to his left thigh.

[Success 50; Roll 25] You rush in with your shield raised, trying to knock a brute off his feet, but fail. A brute steps to one side, dodging your attack.

Double Bash
                  Prerequisites: 30 ranks of Shield Bash and Spears Butt Smash
                  Syntax: dbash <target>
                  Range: Close

The attacker bashes at their opponent with the rim of their shield, then pivots on their lead foot, spinning around to bash at their opponent with the butt of their spear. Failing this move will leave the attacker with openings (randomly chosen) until their next attack. This move is stopped by cross blocks.

[Success 50; Roll 75] You step forward, bashing a brigand with your shield, then quickly pivot on your lead foot, spinning and bashing with the butt of your bronze-tipped spear! He suffers a bruise to his left shoulder. He suffers an ugly bruise to his left thigh.

You stagger and leave a high opening!
                  [Success 50; Roll 75] You step forward, bashing at a brigand with your shield, but miss. Quickly pivoting on your lead foot, you spin and try to bash at a brigand with the butt of your bronze-tipped spear, but miss. A brigand sweeps his shield sideways, blocking your attack!
                  Go here. Y'know you want to.

"I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise, Kevin. They never see me comin'." - Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

It's scientific fact that intelligence is directly proportional to the number of idiots you piss off.
                  Originally posted by Japes
                  To quote Bruce, "Ego sum rex Romanus, et super gramattica."

Comment

Uh, no standing impales please.
                    Peaceable out, homeskillet.

Comment

I'd have to go with a negative on the impaling move, one is enough...

Comment

Hmm, for a weaponstrike/knockaside block, I guess giving shields in general, not hoplite fighting a weapon cover move would be interesting.

An Iridine Officer covers his weapon with his shield, deflecting An Aestivan's attack!

Would be a difficult or maybe even impossible block for shields

Comment

I have like 6 moves I thought of for the Hoplite spear skill set... I actually have a 2foot across wodden shield and a big long 6 and a half foot piece of bamboo I come up with these moves with when I'm bored.

And also... Hoplites would need a different spear to do some of the moves I think, like a shorter spear of some sort. I dunno.

Leaping Charge
                          average
                          30 ranks in stab, 30 ranks in whatever the stance for this skillset would be (30 ranks in shield bash would enable to secondary portion of this maneuver.)

The hoplite would lunge with a good hefty jump at an opponent. While coming down at the opponent, the hoplite would make a vicious stab. If the stab does not connect (and you have at least 30 ranks in shield bash) a check is made whether or not you hit them with your shield while landing. If the stab does not connect, and the bash does not connect, you will not be approached, but if either attack lands, you will be approached (note, both attacks cannot happen... The shield bash only occurs IF the stab misses as a second chance to be approached)

Hook smash
                          difficult
                          30 ranks in shield basics, 30ranks in butt smash, 30 ranks in hoplite stance or whatever

Holding the spear at the exact middle, the blade pointing toward your enemy, you would reach your shield across serving as your other hand by locking the spear and shield together, and use your hand in the middle of the spear as a fulcrum, to unlease a powerful butt smash. (For the life of me, when I try and do this with my punching bag and stuff, I can only aim it high... Trying to strike low or mid with it is almost impossible, and very akward.)
                          Fumbling presents a chance to cut yourself.

Hook Slash
                          difficult
                          30 ranks in shield basics, 30 ranks in slash, 30 ranks in hoplite stance

Same as hook smash, only you hook the blunt side with your shield, and make a high slash with the blade. Fumble presents a chance to bruise yourself.
                          "Gasp!"

Eat more. Fat people are harder to kidnap.

"I have 16 fingers on each hand, for a total of 22 sir!"

Comment

Good idea. I talked to Jenn about spear/pardelian she said not to doable but like I said before I think I didn't explain myself very well. Also two optio's, a decurion, and the centurion requested the GM's for this idea. Just sucks for those spearman with no access to Pardelian. I wouldnt mind Pardelian, basic, and hoplite style combat for spears though.
                            I know why this clowned died....it's cause he is full of candy!!!

Comment

Pardelian has a penalty when not done with a wall shield -- I assume it's simple enough to give hoplite fighting a penalty if it's done with the wrong kind of spear.

Comment

Working...
                              X