20 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 questions

I am an avid RPG player, TEC is the only CRPG I play with any regularity anymore, though I have played a dozen MUDs and MUSHes as well as 10 MMORPGS. I have also played well over 30 pencil and paper RPGs, and own well over 200 books on the subject, from perhaps 16 different world settings.

Before you say anything; Yes. I am fully aware of how pathetic this makes me. But honestly I don't really mind, I enjoy reading them, I enjoy playing them, I enjoy running them, I enjoy creating worlds for my players, and I even enjoy the mechanics and the feel of rolling dice for the fate of a fictional character.

More than anything though, I love creating. At it's root every RPG asks that every player create, the gamemaster has the tough job he has to create an entire thriving living world, but the players have to create too. Their character is not just a collection of stats, or at least it shouldn't be. Your character has a life, has emotions, has a soul mind and body of their own outside of you the player.

Early on in my gaming career I was treated to the first edition of Legend of the Five Rings. The game is in it's 3rd edition now because it is a fun world with a fun system, and a creative group behind it. I have met the producers of L5R and I must say they are lovely people. One of my favorite parts about the original Legend of the Five Rings RPG was a small section called "20 questions" This idea had been done in the home before by some, but they were the first to release it inside of their book. At it's root this is a set of 20 questions that you answer as if you were the character. It helps you to flesh out your character.

I now use the 20 questions I found there for every game I run, and for every game I personally play in. This comes after initial development, but before you sit down to play. Because of the fact that Legend of the Five Rings was an oriental based game with a strong emphasis on Bushido some of the questions have to be modified heavily for each game I play, and sometimes I have to totally create my own, but the process is easy enough.

So since the game was crashed out when I decided to play today, I decided to modify the 20 questions for my own amusement, and I am posting it now. If you want to post with your answers for a character, feel free. I might post it for Armataan, but the real reason for this is for private character development. So that your new characters can be run through these questions in the privacy of your own computer.

1.) Where do you come from?

2.) How would you describe yourself?

3.) What do you do for a living?

4.) What about your family?

5.) What is your main motivation in life?

6.) Who is the one person you trust most?

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness?

8.) What do you think of honor?

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth?

10.) Do you have any prejudices?

11.) Are you married?

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty?

13.) What are your favorite things?

14.) what are your least favorite things?

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms?

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant?

17.) How would your parents describe you?

18.) What are your highest ambitions?

19.) How religious are you?

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine?

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
    HAIL CULEXUS

Re: 20 questions

Meletia:

1.) Where do you come from? Tepsin

2.) How would you describe yourself? A scholar

3.) What do you do for a living? Nothing. I mean I own land, and my tenants pay me rent. I'm assistant City Justice of the Harbor to avoid getting married off, not because it pays.

4.) What about your family? I have an intelligent father Maurus and a nitwitted mother named Nicasia. I have two older brothers whose lives are very boring.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? To find out everything I can about subjects that interest me.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Senthian.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? My strength is my intellect. My weakness is my near total lack of empathy.

8.) What do you think of honor? Honor is fine for people who have time for it. I focus on duty.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? Iridine is the greatest place in the world. But foreign places are exotic and romantic, especially Cenath.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? I'm prejudiced against stupid people. Other than that, I don't have many. I had a Cineran slave tutor as a child from whom I learned a lot.

11.) Are you married? Hell no. And never will be if I have anything to say about it.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? My patron, Baelan Nelsor.

13.) What are your favorite things? Stories, the sea, exotic cultures, poison.

14.) what are your least favorite things? Dogs, resurrected people who try to kill me, sirens.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? I nibble my lip.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? Lecture them. I like practicing oratory.

17.) How would your parents describe you? My mother thinks I'm reckless and weird. My father thinks I'm brilliant.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? Socially-approved ambitions have already been fulfilled -- I never aspired to much beyond an assistant justice post. I sure as hell don't want to be Tribune or Asst. Steward of Games. I once thought I'd like to be Legate but I'd really rather let someone more callous do that. I hope someday to retire and travel to exotic places, once I'm past marriageable age.

19.) How religious are you? Very.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? It pwns, except for the dogs and idiots and sirens.
    "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Comment

The thing with Meletia is that much of her personality developed as a result of the patrician auction. And even more has developed in response to things she's dealt with IGly. I gave her a sea fetish because she won the "ring of foam" (to which I added a curse story to make it more interesting, and because I picked the jinxed trait). I made her more eccentric than I'd planned because I bid stupidly high on medium-high dignitas.

I don't do a lot of pre-planning with characters. Her bio, which I submitted to the GMs, is quite short. I'm not a 'method actor.'
      "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

Comment

Interesting. I don't consider myself a method actor at all, I just enjoy the creative act of giving birth to a character.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Mikaela:

1.) Where do you come from? Cinera

2.) How would you describe yourself? Cold; easily annoyed by the general population of Iridine, and especially by couples who cuddle and giggle in public and strangers calling me sweetheart; dedicated to training.

3.) What do you do for a living? I wield a gladius, and spend most of my time simply training. When it comes to earning money, I'll go pearl diving so I can make enough to train and to save for a better weapon and armor in the distant future.

4.) What about your family? I have no family in Iridine. In my past I only had my poor, drunk, abusive father, so I ran away from home young and made my way into Iridine. I have not heard anything about my father since I left.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? To master the gladius and be one of the best. After that, I would be open to learning other things. To have some structure in my life since I grew up with none.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? I can only trust myself fully. I don't really know anyone in Iridine yet, and very few people have gotten me to actually open up, and even then they learn very little. Even if I get to know more people, it's unlikely I'll ever trust anyone else completely.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? My strength is my desire and dedication to master the gladius. My weakness is that I keep all emotion inside and stay distant from people.

8.) What do you think of honor? This is something I strive for. I eventually want to be known by many people for my dedication and skill. And when I eventually die, I want to die honorably.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? I grew up in a bad home, and that weighs in heavily; I left my country because of that. But, if anyone says something bad about Cinerans, I'm likely to get into an argument about it.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? Not against people of other races; I ran away from home and ventured into a few other countries before deciding to make the trip to Iridine. I, being young and inexperienced, had no real aim as to what country to settle in. I hate stupid people, and touchy-feely people, and people who I have just met wanting to know my entire life-history. Few people will get that.

11.) Are you married? No, and I don't plan on it. I don't believe in love, which comes from my bad childhood with the only family I had treating me poorly, and from having to do whatever it took for me to survive after I ran away, and before I went into Iridine to change my life around and focus on training alone.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? To myself. Leaving Cinera at such a young age and wondering countries and doing what I needed to survive, I learned that I had to depend on myself alone.

13.) What are your favorite things? my gladius (of course), my mind, my looks, my ego.

14.) what are your least favorite things? Stupid people, Leda's being empty, objects on the floor all around the city, being told what to do or looked down on.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? I chuckle lightly. But that's because I don't find humor in the everyday things or greetings or questions that others find hilarious. I rub the back of my neck a bit. And when I'm bored or waiting for people to spar in Leda's, I'll lean on the walls, and lean on the walls of the baths.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? Unless it was a major thing, yell at them a warning about what happens if they do that again, and give them a suitable punishment. If it's something really major, then kill them. That'll send a nice message. I don't feel bad about people dying because of mistakes they made.

17.) How would your parents describe you? My mother died when I was too young to remember anything, and I never got to hear from my father how my mother felt about me. I felt that my father thought of me as something unwanted and disgusting. I really don't care though; that's all in the past.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? To train until I can no more. Eventually I'll want to join something, but I'm not sure what yet. Right now, it's just important that I keep training. I'm currently learning Nelsor.

19.) How religious are you? Not at all. I live for myself, and believe in myself.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? It's all right. Except it's full of too many stupid people; there has been very few people I've met and actually liked or just considered them to be better than other people (I can think of 4 I've met). People show affection in public way too much. But now that I have entered the city, it should improve, along with the lives of everybody I meet.
          Originally posted by Tempest:Ha! Well she is the dumbest thief ever by far. I mean if it was anyone else you would be in a private cell waiting for the podium. You're a one woman crime spree but on a lighter note. Buy a Lanciuss t-shirt. "Making women walk funny since..."

Comment

Attica Nostraque Caelum Balasarre-Thelon (Longest name evarr)

1.) Where do you come from? Tepsin

2.) How would you describe yourself? Strong, emotional, fake.

3.) What do you do for a living? Sing, dance, act, the works.

4.) What about your family? No one particularly knows, but I was adopted into a family that lived in Tepsin after my biological family had been killed in Aestiva.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? To be successful.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Laegar.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? My strength is that people rarely know what to expect of me. My weakness? ...Cineran men.

8.) What do you think of honor? I have some of it. It's alright.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? I don't know much about it ... All I know is what Draithen has told me.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? None.

11.) Are you married? Not yet.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? Shade.

13.) What are your favorite things? Pearls, rubies, peppers, silk.

14.) what are your least favorite things? People killing animals. People assuming things about me, my family or my friends.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? I purse my lips when I concentrate. A lot.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? I wouldn't have a servant.

17.) How would your parents describe you? Incredibly different than from who I am. Probably as a quiet, good child.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? To be well known, successful, and happy.

19.) How religious are you? It depends on which god/dess we're talking about.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? It's just another stepping stone in becoming better.

Comment

Mikare U.d.N.

1.) Where do you come from? Shh! Keep it a secret. Remath.

2.) How would you describe yourself? Outgoing, loud, bubbly, immature. I'm working on the last one.

3.) What do you do for a living? I'm a huntress! Doot.

4.) What about your family? My family? Well, my mum died when I was really young, about seven or eight. My dad worked for the Queen, translating poems and stuff and reciting them in different languages for Her. He taught me the languages I know today.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? I would like to be happily married, in love and respected.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Aestus, Irine.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? I'm not too sure about what my greatest strength is. I'd say my greatest weakness is my physical build and my sickness.

8.) What do you think of honor? I don't know too much about it. All of the people I first met when I came to the city didn't show me much of it. I believe in respecting one another, but I only give respect to those who give it to me.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? I miss the warmer weather. I miss Queenie.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? Not really. I just don't like people who think I've made false claims, when I really haven't.

11.) Are you married? No.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? Aestus, Irine, Queenie.

13.) What are your favorite things? I like lots of stuff. Candy, berries, turquoise, hunting. There's not much I don't like.

14.) what are your least favorite things? People who are mean for no reason. Dumb people.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? Umm. I rub my nose a lot.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? I'd hug them and ask them what was wrong, silly. Sundren was insubordinate once. I just kind of hugged and petted him until he was better.

17.) How would your parents describe you? I don't know how mum would describe me, if she could. Dad would probably say that I was a good student, despite my illness.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? I just wanna be healthy and happy, and have people who care about me.

19.) How religious are you? Kind of. I'm not sure what I think about religion yet.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? It's interesting. A lot more interesting than Remath. But, I still prefer the Parcines over Iridine. I have to say Tuchea and Iridine are about on par with each other.
              <Gaedon thinks aloud: i have a question but its one i cannot say outloud.>
              <You think aloud: I can find herbs to try to help with that! >

Comment

If there are characters IG that are more than a few days old for whom the player can't answer these questions, they don't belong IG. These are very basic questions, and don't even belong as the least someone goes to to develop character depth.

1.) Where do you come from? Windward.

2.) How would you describe yourself? She would describe herself as "right".

3.) What do you do for a living? Optio in the Legio

4.) What about your family? Her parents are dead. They made their money running a general store. Sanna's uncle and aunt are running it until she returns.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? Obligation.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Bidsmuth

7.) What is your greatest strength? Discretion. Weakness? Slow to warm to people. Extremely guarded.

8.) What do you think of honor? Honour? She doesn't think much of it unless it comes to the honour of the Republic or Iridine.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? She's of two minds. First, she considers herself Iridinian because of how her father viewed Windward in relation to Iridine. She's a citizen and considers both lands her homeland. She does want to return to Windward someday, where she considers life simplier and more honest. She considers Iridine the pinnacle of culture and achievement.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? Yes. Tucheans.

11.) Are you married? No, she's been engaged around 14 years.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? She's loyal to the Legio, her fiance, her friends.

13.) What are your favorite things? Favourite things? Her phalerials?

14.) what are your least favorite things? Sewer stench.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? More than one. Up to you for watch for them.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? Depends on the servant. How she handles *everyone* is based upon the other person and how they respond in one way or another.

17.) How would your parents describe you? Dutiful.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? To eventually retire and not be bored while being retired.

19.) How religious are you? Like most Windwardians, not at all.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? She loves Iridine, but doesn't want to live there all her life. She needs to escape and has the means to do so when she needs to.

Comment

1.) Where do you come from? Somewhere that I left at the age of six (only the Phoenix Guards know, it seems.) I've travelled ever since, settling in Iridine recently.

2.) How would you describe yourself? On a road to power.

3.) What do you do for a living? I'm a Sergeant in the Black Centurions. Mainly an information broker and other stuff.

4.) What about your family? Useless farmers, from what I remember.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? To constantly better myself and my situation.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? She is dead now.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? Determination, cunning / Arrogance.

8.) What do you think of honor? It is so easy to exploit, and a wonderful weapon to fake with others.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? Dull.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? Idiots. Despite my ego, I try not to underestimate anyone.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? Asthera Penta. Vrixus, to a lesser extent.

13.) What are your favorite things? Success, recognition.

14.) what are your least favorite things? Morons, failure, things taking too long.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? I shift my weight every once in a while because of an old injury that tires my legs if I'm standing for a long time, especially when I'm stressed.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? It depends. If he was just being annoying, I'd throw him out. If he his insubordination was born out of character strength, I'd probably recruit him and force loyalty out of him.

17.) How would your parents describe you? The kid who ran away and didn't come back.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? Godhood would be nice, but I'll settle for full control of the Steps.

19.) How religious are you? I bend my knee to none.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? Wunderbar.
                  Sinecus Vito Habeas

Comment

1.) Where do you come from? Iridine city

2.) How would you describe yourself? Scholarly loner.

3.) What do you do for a living? TN's retainer, scholar, sometimes healer.

4.) What about your family? Really, really messed up bunch. I'm not in contact with most of them.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? I hope to be a priest, and to learn everything I can.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Aschiva

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? Intellect / Impatience

8.) What do you think of honor? It is very... honourable?

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? I sometimes think of moving to Anorad, but I like it here.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? Calsuans are teh suck.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? Aschiva

13.) What are your favorite things? Texts and lores, religious studies.

14.) what are your least favorite things? Being known for a doom codex.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? I tend to frown when I'm thinking deeply or when I'm troubled by something.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? I'd tell him to seek employment elsewhere.

17.) How would your parents describe you? The quiet kid.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? To be a priest of Ereal.

19.) How religious are you? Very.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? Refer to question nine.
                    Alsask Alfiero Kadath, head retainer to Assistant Governor of Monlon Talius Noraetis.
                    Cedant arma togae

Comment

God. Sinecus is almost like Trisidius...I don't even have to fill out a form for Tris now. Just read Sinecus'.
                      Newpatriot frowns to you, "I don't have any open slots. "
                      You ooc to Newpatriot, "Ummmm..."
                      You ooc to Newpatriot, "Are they all full?"
                      Newpatriot asks you, "I've got a man in all 5. Why do you ask?"

<01:28:30> "That Gay Dude": Dude, I'm not even gay.

Originally posted by Bactrian
                      Your signature has been edited to remove a quote from another player. Let's not use signatures to make other players look silly, please (even if you are just quoting their own words).

Comment

1.) Where do you come from? Sostaeran

2.) How would you describe yourself? Quiet, dutiful, introverted.

3.) What do you do for a living? Fight with the gladius.

4.) What about your family? For as many generations as the Kaemons have ruled Sostaeran, my father and all of the males in my ancestry before him were guards for the royal family. I am the first to break this tradition, for reasons I keep to myself.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? To move beyond my past.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? I have not been home in over two years, and do not make any contact with those I knew. I have begun to know some people in Iridine, but I have not been here long enough to develop lasting bonds.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? Tenacity and virtue. I will not break my honor. Weakness: I still have trouble understanding foreign ways, and it often leaves me perplexed and/or misunderstood.

8.) What do you think of honor? It is the strength that seperates man from corruption.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? It was home, but not any longer for reasons I do not share with most people.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? I do not know what to expect from most natives in the outside world I've only been exposed to for so little time.

11.) Are you married? Widowed.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? If I encounter a Kaemon upon my travels, I am duty-bound to assist in any way necessary.

13.) What are your favorite things? Truth and joy. Learning new things.

14.) what are your least favorite things? The miserable solitude I've lived recently. Some of the new things I learn disturb me.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? None that anyone has commented on.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? I would instruct him to serve better, as anything we do is a reflection upon our honor. If he persisted, I would remove him from my household.

17.) How would your parents describe you? As a child? Everything they ever hoped for. Now... I have not spoken with them. It is impossible to determine.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? To find answers to my many questions.

19.) How religious are you? As much as the average Sostaeran.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? It is wonderful and intimidating at the same time.
                        Cesil Eberus

Comment

If there are characters IG that are more than a few days old for whom the player can't answer these questions, they don't belong IG. These are very basic questions, and don't even belong as the least someone goes to to develop character depth.
                          Agreed, Sanna.

and Sinecus is so much more interesting now that I as a player know a little more about him.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

1.) Where do you come from? Unknown. Has lived in the Steps for as long as he remembers.

2.) How would you describe yourself? Loud, funny, in the average.

3.) What do you do for a living? Wanted to become a Legionnaire, but a no go.. Then, wanted to become a constable, but a no go.. Then opted for the name Ghuan and became a gladiator.

4.) What about your family? Dead/Long gone, he has a new family in Iridine, now.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? Being the best at whatever it is I do.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Aestas, Lilie

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? Greatest strenght would be his ability to fight and weakness would also be his ability to fight combined with his loud mouth.

8.) What do you think of honor? Honor is the only thing that makes a man be a man. He stands up for what he believes.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? He thinks that Iridine is the best country to live in, even with not knowing much about the other countries. He thinks that the Steps were a bad place to live mainly due to all the violence there was there.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? He does, he thinks that mostly all Cinerans are angry fanatics. He also thinks that Tucheans are possibly the worse fighters ever.

11.) Are you married? No, he isn't. Although he might, one day if his girlfriend would ever wake up.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? Aestas, Lilie, a few others.

13.) What are your favorite things? His favourite thing is to make people bleed or suffer - to avenge himself. He likes being in the center of the attention.

14.) what are your least favorite things? He hates getting trash talked, whenever it happens he feels like beating up the other person.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? He often stretches his right arm, due to an old wound and the fact that he's a right-hander doesn't make it easier.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? He'd flog the servant until he actually does a better job. If it doesn't work, he'd consider choking him into an unconscious state a few times.

17.) How would your parents describe you? The thing they left behind

18.) What are your highest ambitions? Become the best gladiator of all Iridine. Seeking a priest to make him grow taller.

19.) How religious are you? He is quite religious due to the fact that he has lived through so many beatings that he should've never stood up after.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? -same as above

There are other "hidden" things, but I'd rather not make them public. Some stuff is simply better learned IC.

Comment

Fucosus.

1.) Where do you come from? The Steps. I'm so ghetto.

2.) How would you describe yourself? A deeply caring eccentric, once you get past the eccentric part.

3.) What do you do for a living? I steal food and spend most of my time in jail.

4.) What about your family? I beat the snot out of my younger siblings, so my parents don't like me much.

5.) What is your main motivation in life? To become the arch rogue I was destined to be, with a vast criminal empire sweeping across midlight.

6.) Who is the one person you trust most? Arch Rogues trust no one.

7.) What is your greatest strength? Weakness? My rogueness/my hatred of ugly children

8.) What do you think of honor? Honor is for pansies.

9.) What is your own opinion of your country of birth? It's a great place to establish a criminal empire.

10.) Do you have any prejudices? Yes. I hate ugly, snotty children. They should be seen and not heard. Also, Cinerans smell like fish.

11.) Are you married? Only to my ambition.

12.) To whom do you owe the most loyalty? Arch Rogues are loyal to no one!

13.) What are your favorite things? Stealing from children, beating up small children

14.) what are your least favorite things? Getting a broken face.

15.) Do you have any reoccuring mannerisms? Besides beating and stealing from ugly urchins? No.

16.) How would you handle an insubordinate servant? I'd flay them alive in a bed of salt.

17.) How would your parents describe you? A sniveling bastard.

18.) What are your highest ambitions? TO BE AN ARCH-ROGUE.

19.) How religious are you? Ereal sucks, unless he grants me a nice fat pouch.

20.) What do you think of the city of Iridine? Too many stupid kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X