Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Information.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information.

As some more observant players have noticed, the Vigiles have changed leadership. I am constructing this post pre-recruitment period so that the playerbase as a whole and the players of prospective vigiles will have an idea as to what to expect.

I will start off by saying this will not be 'Constables 2'. Quite simply, there is already a constables, they are run well and have some great players involved. Players seeking an experienced focused on crime fighting are better off in that organization. I feel that if the Vigiles were to be merely a second constables but in (the much less populated and much less criminally active) city of Monlon no new niche would be filled and nothing special would be added to the game. While the law enforcement aspect will be there, it is not the major focus of the group.

The focus of the Monlon Vigiles will be religious in nature, the defenders of the centre of Erealism, and preservists of the faith with their roots in the time before Monlon became a part of the Republic. GC expenditures will be geared more towards religious and historical events with the occasional story focused props. This will not be a 'stuff' group. With a solid and enthusiastic initial roster of players and the support of the GM contact, I hope this group will be able to more fully flesh out the Erealite religion including rituals, dogma, etc. and make Monlon more tangibly the centre of Erealism.

When recruitment begins sometime this week it will not be, as has sadly become the trend, a search for the most mechanically able, super-stats, old veteran player/characters but a search for avid and enthusiastic roleplayers looking to be at the beginning of filling this niche in the gameworld. There will be a place for any player or character ability levels, even the unskilled.

If there are any OOC questions to be asked about the group, how it will fit into the game or other related meta-game issues I will attempt to address them on this thread. For IC questions or issues, please wait for the recruitment to be announced IG.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Vigiles; 02-17-2007, 06:08 PM.

A comment: I know Testudo was working on a skillset about augur stuff and some of the items used for the skillset are found in the Via Abscondae. It could possibly be of interest to you, depending on what has actually been done with it so far and what the skillset actually has in terms of skill (if they would only be useful to high priests or something, it wouldn't have much interest for you). Either way, I don't believe there are any other religious skillsets, yet.

Another comment: A new hunting ground very close to Monlon could be created which would contain ravanites and perhaps have quest type stuff (like with tears, but something else). I believe it could bring in more interest into religion and the city of Monlon as a whole. Anything having to do with the gameworld and bringing in more ravanite aspects would be appreciated, as well as Erealite stuff.

Will terms such as 'hell', 'doom' and other non-Erealite sayings actually be punished when using those said terms in Monlon? How strict will the religion be up there? Will a code of honor of sort be implemented within the vigiles in order to have a better faith? Will there be ceremonies to give proper offerings to Ereal (if there is such a thing as offerings) or to show proper faith? If crime ever develops over in Monlon, will the vigiles participate actively into ridding the holy city of crime? Will the vigiles be able to brand people with the 'FUR' sign when they are caught doing ravanite stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post
      Will terms such as 'hell', 'doom' and other non-Erealite sayings actually be punished when using those said terms in Monlon?
      That really wouldn't be necessary. Even though the term 'hell' is a bit of an anachronism to use in TEC's period setting I don't see why either one of those would deserve anything more than a giggle.

How strict will the religion be up there?
      It's Midlight's Jerusalem. Thinking of it like that really helps to set the mood.

Will a code of honor of sort be implemented within the vigiles in order to have a better faith?
      Of course. Codes of behaviour, duties etc. will all be a part of the theme.

Will there be ceremonies to give proper offerings to Ereal (if there is such a thing as offerings) or to show proper faith?
      From smaller personal offerings to large roleplayed ceremonies, I would love to see the Vigiles developing/experiencing these sorts of religious customs and being as involved as possible with the Monlon temple.

If crime ever develops over in Monlon, will the vigiles participate actively into ridding the holy city of crime?
      Yup. That's the idea.

Will the vigiles be able to brand people with the 'FUR' sign when they are caught doing ravanite stuff?
      Since FUR is a branding for 'Thief' that probably wouldn't be appropriate.

Comment

I thought that Ravanites were also branded with 'FUR'? Menelas was branded with 'FUR' because he was a ravanite, no? I know Semptat had 'FUR' because he had stolen entirely too many times and been caught for it.

I guess I was wrong.

Kudos. So far it's quite interesting. I'm sure it will help Monlon become some sort of attraction again.
        Last edited by TEC_Ghuan; 02-17-2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Very interesting...
          [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

I hope GM's help ya out, sounds good to me.

Comment

In the past, Iridinian heretics were burned or tortured to death. Of course we could do just about anything; Romans didn't really set a precedent for heresy. They acknowledged all gods, even foreign ones, to some degree or another. But Fur does literally mean 'Thief'. I personally don't think Monlon would be as hardcore as the SoE about punishments. They seem to have more of a prudish piety than a zealous one.
              Relevant to most forum threads.

Comment

Oh, and you should spend GCs on a ladder from RV to Monlon. At least the ladder didn't just stop working on its own.
                Relevant to most forum threads.

Comment

Originally posted by TEC_Ghuan View Post
                  I thought that Ravanites were also branded with 'FUR'? Menelas was branded with 'FUR' because he was a ravanite, no? I know Semptat had 'FUR' because he had stolen entirely too many times and been caught for it.

I guess I was wrong.

Kudos. So far it's quite interesting. I'm sure it will help Monlon become some sort of attraction again.
                  Wasn't Menelas Branded with an H for heretic?

Comment

In her moment of need, we abandoned her.
                    All glory be unto the lady, all glory be unto our god.
                    In her moment of faith, we the minions of doubt.

When her light returned, the light forbade us witness.

She sacrificed where we failed,
                    She was charity where we were misers,
                    She was hope where men had been blind,
                    Her love brought the silencing of our requiem for our world.

We are naked, our hair torn, our skin aflame, the father our only judge. Look
                    upon our souls and be merciful.

- scribed on broken pottery, collection of the Monlon Temple

The Vigiles: Beginning
                    According to oral legend, the first incarnation of the Vigiles formed
                    immediately following the return of light to Midlight following the last great
                    darkness. After Iridine's great show of piety in her sacrifice, many of her
                    fellow clergy were overcome with shame and repentance for having given up hope,
                    breaking the faith, or in some instances, abandoning Ereal as he had abandoned
                    them and turning to old deities. For their lack of faith and for their
                    wickedness, faithless clergy were struck blind, never to see the light that
                    Iridine's faith had stirred Ereal's mercy to grant.

The blind priests were pariahs in the culture of renewed faith around them,
                    their sins too great for simple forgiveness. Many never regained their faith,
                    loathing Ereal for denying to them what he had returned to others and many died
                    in the years following the return of the light.

A small group of these blind priests turned back to Ereal, and did so with
                    renewed vigour. From that day a handful of them refused to leave the site of
                    Iridine's burial, they covered themselves in ashes, stripped of all clothing,
                    let their hair and nails grow wild and spent their days reciting chants of
                    repentance even while the populace mocked their blindness by calling them the
                    "Vigiles" (the watchful).

Time of Tulca I: Soldiers of Faith

Over time the tradition of the original Vigiles affected the religious
                    expression of the Kingdom of Monlon. As the religious centre of Cinerans and
                    Aestivans, Monlon was fertile breeding ground for the particularly devout brand
                    of Erealism espoused by the original Vigiles. The military of Monlon in
                    particular adopted the hard-line approach to their religion. Morning, midday
                    and evening chants, the donation of all earthly possessions to the temple, vows
                    of chastity, abandonment of simple pleasures and even self-flaggelation in
                    memory of the repentance and sincerity of the original Vigiles became common
                    among military men.

Of particular note was the importance this tradition placed upon Iridine
                    herself. Prayers were uttered to both Iridine and Ereal in the same breath,
                    and the belief in the divinity of 'The lady' as a gateway to Ereal flourished.

As these practices led to greater patriotic feelings and deep attachment to the
                    city itself, the 'Vigile' tradition among soldiers was actively encouraged by
                    the ruling family and it became difficult to receive prestigious assignment
                    without being known as a 'Vigile' . Soldiers who attempted to adhere to the
                    principles of the original Vigiles commonly referred to themselves by that
                    title, and being publically known as a 'Vigile' became synonymous with being a
                    pious Erealite and Soldier of the Kingdom of Monlon.

Destruction of the Kingdom: The Coming of Granthulius

The final battle of the Kingdom of Monlon was fought in the wee hours of the
                    morning. Granthulius' legions had effectively eliminated all other resistance
                    in the much smaller kingdom, meeting little resistance of note. It is said
                    that before giving the order to attack, he offered quarter to the small
                    remaining Monloni force and was refused without consideration.

Soon, the night sky took on the appearance of dawn, so brightly did the fires
                    of Monlon burn. Not one step into the city was given up easily; the near
                    fanatical brotherhood of Vigiles formed the core of the capitals remaining
                    military and their tradition forbade retreat or abandonment of their posts
                    under any condition. The air was thick with smoke, screams of the dying and
                    the smell of fire and blood. By dawn every inch of the city had been razed to
                    the ground and only a handful of broken and wounded Monloni remained, pausing
                    for breath in the courtyard of the only struture still standing - the Monlon
                    Temple.

Here it is said that Granthulius again offered quarter to the doomed Vigiles
                    and, as the first light of the rising sun crested the horizon, he was again
                    refused. The living Monloni could have retreated to the temple, taking cover
                    and slowing the approach of the inevitable. Instead, covered in the ash of
                    their burning homeland, hair matted with the blood of enemy and friend alike,
                    they gathered as one and began their ancient chants of faith and repentance.
                    So moving was the courage and brotherhood of these men that Granthulius'
                    legions were not ashamed to admit to the scribes of the day that they fought
                    with tears in their eyes as they cut down the remaining Vigiles. The war had
                    ended, Monlon was in rubble and her army destroyed and the day would never be
                    forgotten by those who had witnessed it.

Monlon would have been no prize had it been left in rubble, and Granthulius was
                    not so foolish as to leave it so. The rebuilding of the centre of Cineran and
                    Aestivan religion began immediately. By either misinterpretation or by keen
                    planning, when it came time to select local law enforcement and protection for
                    his local administrators, Granthulius declared that they would be named
                    'Vigiles'. Volunteers were overwhelming, even from his own men, so moved had
                    they been by the actions of the men who last claimed that name. The title even
                    pleased the living clergy of Monlon, who were quick to offer support and
                    education to these new 'vigiles'and even supply learned men to assist
                    Granthulius appointed administrators in re-establishing Monlon's beuraucracy.

So the tradition of the Vigiles lived on; though the form changed, the
                    tradition could continue.

-Submission by Abbot that has been adopted as an official history of the Monlon Vigiles-
                    Game Master Sceadu

Comment

Nice going, Abbot. Truly a nice submission.

Comment

I agree. Sceadu told us to use ?monlon to read that in the WA or IG.

Comment

Thank you for that. That was awesome.

And I'm really really looking forward to what might happen now.
                          [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

Yea, that's pretty good. Makes me want to become a Vigile!

Comment

Then you can sleep off PK's in Monlon, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X