Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

Mozilla Firefox ESR

An alternative for all users, but especially for Mac users, is Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox that branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2016, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but one that should work for a while longer.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

GM and SG Kudos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So nice to see Tale back. Kudos to Tale and the other GM/SGs who have been active lately and making Iridine a more dangerous and exciting place.

Comment

• Yeah Good job murderating everyone Tale!

Comment

• Thank you SG Physos for some interaction in the forest. Need to turn off the spawning brigands on that particular site though...lol.

Hopefully, the Shrine project can move forward and you will not disappear until it is accomplished.
        Back to Expat Living...but not to a war zone area

_//*ll^ll*\\_

Sceadu responds from afar, "I'm going to test something on you if you don't mind. "
        Sceadu responds from afar, "What just happened? Anything?"

Comment

• Thanks to Sideways for quick help with that mystery club issue. I still don't get where it was!!

Comment

• I have been so impressed over the last few months with our SG and GM team. Thank you for keeping us on our toes and keeping our world rich, unpredictable and enjoyable to explore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pranzor
              The Skills command will now display Total Combat and Non-Combat ranks at the top of the output.

This is so so so helpful. Thank you!

Comment

• Once again, super impressed. Especially by Castael and Cyradis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sceadu View Post
                  It is now possible to tell what a garment (armor/clothing/etc.) covers when you look at it. That being said, there may be some inconsistencies out there that will need to be address, so please feel free to report any you may notice.
                  Absolutely Awesome work 8)

Comment

• Thanks for all the GM support for our masked party!!

Comment

• You remind me of a girl I went to school with, leave an apple on the teachers desk type she was.
                      Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

• Originally posted by Felisin View Post
                        You remind me of a girl I went to school with, leave an apple on the teachers desk type she was.
                        I refuse to believe that I am the only one who has things to thank our GMs - most of whom are volunteers - for. If Iím one of the few who chooses to publicly thank them, then so be it.

Comment

• I can't speak for the other GMs, but personally, having someone take the 10 seconds to simply acknowledge the fact that we're trying can and has meant the difference between taking a break to try and motivate myself to start the process all over again or actually diving back into things for another round of work knowing I'm not futilely churning out things into a vacuum. It does a lot to keep me motivated or interested in spending my free time this way.

Especially when I've finally finished something that I've been working on for months off and on trying to wrangle the new code into submission, or untangle the cluster of spaghetti code cobbled together by almost a dozen different past staff members into a kludge of textual nightmare fuel (I'm looking at you, Tailoring, NPC Jobs, Shelter Building, and Plants! ) that have had to be detangled in order to rebuild it the way it was supposed to have been built in the first place just to begin working on the new stuff.

Just my two sens.
                          Game Master Tale
                          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

• We've always loved ya Tale.

Cant wait til you get more questing/jobbing systems in place

Comment

• - Kudos to Tale for fixing Franlius cell strangeness. Kudos also for the smoke and smell tweaks, and the ever-growing development of the outdoorsy/hunting lifestyle.
                              - Kudos for Cyradis presumably for the whole ton of interesting new covers debuting in the arena recently.
                              - Kudos Sideways for the wagon tweak!
                              - Pranzor, for continuous vigilance on combat balancing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tale View Post
                                (I'm looking at you, Tailoring, NPC Jobs, Shelter Building, and Plants! ) that have had to be detangled in order to rebuild it the way it was supposed to have been built in the first place just to begin working on the new stuff.
                                Plants? Herbalism? (this is how rumors get started, I know.)

Even though we can't see the behind-the-scenes spaghetti code, we have faith in you! Maybe it'll turn out like that scene in Lady and The Tramp...

Comment

Working...
                                X