Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Creation story as it is now has been that way for at least the last RL year and a half or however long it's been since I started playing again. If it's been reworked from the original, I have no idea when it was done.

This project is only to fill in gaps in already existing Erealite lore, not a reboot of the religion.

According to how things currently exist for lore, Ereal gives the World her space on a regular basis, that is how winter is explained. The Cataclysm is when the world was plunged into darkness (aka Moonfall). In Erealism it is because Ereal was pissed at Man for turning away from him and using magic unwisely. It was Iridine's unwavering devotion and encouraging those who were still faithful that finally softened his anger and convinced him to return.

This is lore taken from both the Creation and City Founding stories as they are in the help files. As I said, if there's been changes I'm not aware of them, and they had to have happened some time ago. It's been much too long since I first read them to know if there was any alteration, so this is something the GMs might be able to answer.
    I cannot pretend to be impartial about the colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. (Winston Churchill)

Comment

the current ?creation story is about 3x longer than the old one, includes a hell of a lot of details like animals and man and stuff, and draws toward a totally different event at its conclusion. At the end of the 'genesis' world story, world is abandoned.

Ereal later returns and takes part in the iridine story for the erealites, which has ALSO changed dramatically in the current 'official' version, no longer taking place on Basran hill. These are IC 'changes' that are supposed to be noticed. They are not retcons.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
      HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

I'm actually looking at the old GM forums. The original creation story comes from Phil, who posted it on 7:59 pm, Sunday, July 11, 1999.

What you see in the ?creation in-game help file is exactly the same as that post, with the exception of the first and last paragraphs that were not included in the original.

Incidentally, the creation story was originally introduced as a quest event item - a document entitled 'The Tome of Creation.' It was then stored in the temple library.

Comment

Considering how much the lore around the moons have changed since the early days, I honestly hope you aren't suggesting that adding to Erealite lore is a problem. This is just to try and fill some very large gaps and catch up to the amount that's been added to the moon lore and give it the same level of depth. *shrug*

And again, what is currently there is not a sudden, new change. If it was sudden, it happened quite some time ago. There has only been one addition to the Erealite lore approved and introduced IG recently as canon: a Cult version of the Priestess Iridine's life.

Could a mod move this discussion to a new thread? It really deserves to have it's own outside of the actual lore request thread. Thanks!
          Last edited by Xianna; 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM. Reason: added mod request
          I cannot pretend to be impartial about the colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. (Winston Churchill)

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
            Ereal later returns and takes part in the iridine story for the erealites, which has ALSO changed dramatically in the current 'official' version, no longer taking place on Basran hill. These are IC 'changes' that are supposed to be noticed. They are not retcons.
            I just read ?creation again, there's nothing different in there that hasn't been there for a very long time, I think perhaps you need to read it again, because you're coming to incorrect conclusions, for instance, the iridine story DOES take place on basran hill, the cataclysm isn't anything to do with abandoning world, and winter doesn't involve ereal saying bye, I'm not coming back, it's more along the lines of whoa.... I'm going to be over here... you let me know when you're not so angry.

plus, the animals were always there, it demonstrates why man is better than animals. Maybe you should talk to someone about your understandings, so you'd be able to understand this better, a sounding board, is always better than nothing. just don't do it with a closed mind thinking that your way is the only way.

Comment

EDITED: Cleaned up
              Japes, Pascal got attribution for the creation myth didn't he? Not Phil?

There's also a much shorter version of the story. The story that is 4 paragraphs instead of 23. It's been in a game for just as long, perhaps even longer. Armataan had a copy in 2003? Culexus got a copy in 2008? mythos evolve with every new edition the gms have made to it since 1997. There definitely were long conversations with Abeldor's champion of Ravan as early as 2001, with Iotrus and Surtoi and Dre and... oh god I can't remember the friggin unraveller's name.. theological discussions in game with Tharius Allende over what exactly a thinking feeling knowing creature that existed along with Ereal before anything else exists can possibly be, if not a god. These are active parts of the game world that have been breathign since creation.

The whole mythos of Ereal is being expanded and modified, or having elements added wholecloth in the same way that an actual Cthulhian god named after a famous Shakespearean deity was put into the game in its entire original form with no modification.

Adding new stuff to the game is awesome. Expanding the old stuff is great. But there is a much shorter creation myth than the one in "?creation" that shares a lot of similarities, but is also different. It was my first exposure to the myth so it stuck with me. It is also currently in game.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

?Creation has had that same '99 version of the Ereal story for years and years. The only difference, really, was the first and last paragraph - which themselves seem to be nearly as old as the original story. And it was Phil that posted it.

I'm not sure how you're getting the idea that the Erealite mythos have been heavily expanded based on whatever it is that your characters have been reading. It's been operating under the same fundamental creation story and guidelines since the inception of the religion, circa 1999.

There are some other random things to note.
                - Shakespeare predates Lovecraft.
                - Gods based on celestial objects are not the only types of gods worshiped in the gameworld. (see, e.g., Parcines).
                - Texts and messages communicated by GM NPCs can and will be biased, slanted, or outright deceptions. People trying to get you to believe in the existence, or nonexistence, of supernatural beings almost certainly have an agenda.

Whatever the case, all this is a bit beside the point. Long story short, there hasn't been a 'retcon' or 'ic changes' or whatever of the Erealite story. Fundamentally, it's the same as its always been. Any additions, whether player-made or from the GM side (as with the recent Bright Hope Codex), are simply elaborations on vague elements of the faith.

Comment

Shakespeare predates lovecraft. And Lovecraft may have created Cthulhu but the mythos is not just by him.

The Tempest is a great story that brushes very very briefly upon a certain character's faith.

Browning is far more responsible for the modern treatment of the 'god', and since that time the god that would be has received writeups in quite a few Cthulhu dictionaries. I am sure I am not the only one who saw the wholecloth lift of the myth.

HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Like the kitchen sink construction approach of Forgotten Realms, many 'Lovecraftian' compilations freely pick and choose from a wide range of cultural references, then bulk up those references with details that assimilate the idea into their mythos. To say that Setebos is a 'Lovecraftian' god is to say that Tyr originates in D&D.

Browning wrote the poem 'Caliban upon Setebos.' Caliban is, of course, a savage and violent individual, imprisoned and tormented. The poem is a sophisticated dialogue in which such a brutal character reflects upon the nature of godhood and divine power. That the imagined figure mirrors Caliban's own thought process is, perhaps, no surprise.

If you believe Browning wrote that poem to create a myth about a fictional god, then you're missing quite a lot of nuance. Some commentators have suggested that Browning was critiquing certain forms of theology prevalent during his time.

Given all that, the inclusion of a Setebos reference in TEC was far from careless 'whole cloth lifting.' It was an intentional allusion to the relationship between the faith of the worshipers and the identity / personality of the deities being worshiped.

Anyways, Erealite lore needs more submissions. Send mails to Xianna's player if you have ideas.

Comment

Aphellia, if anyone remembers, did a well received play about the creation story. If anyone has information on that, it would do well in the accepted gameworld lore.
                      Blame Skotos.

Signatures should not exceed the length of this.

Comment

Working...
                      X