Crowdsourcing: Symbols of Countries!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowdsourcing: Symbols of Countries!

I won't tell you exactly what I'm doing with these, but I need your submissions for countries and their symbols. I'm sure some have been put out there and defined, but when I look at something and it says, "engraved with the symbol of Cinera" and I don't know what the heck that is, I want to.

So. Submit your ideas, or if you have first-hand experience KNOWING what they are (if a GM has documented this in the past to you, etc.), post here!

Proposed NATIONAL Symbols:

Aestivan League
    -Two crossed spears over an oval shield
    -Two crossed spears over a fortress
    -Hammer, chisel, stone, imposed over construction in the background
    -Lamda over a straight line of red or grey

Altene
    -Fist
    -A white pentacle on a black background
    -A hand clutching a heart

Cinera
    -A black eagle over a red sun
    -A bull's head comprised of clean lines

Gadaene

Iridine

Parcines
    -Brown horse on a green background
    -Alpha symbol with crossed spears

Remath
    -Three circles forming triangle ruin

Safelands
    -Three ears of wheat

Sostaeran

Tuchea
    -Sun and Ducos over wavy lines representing the sea
    -A series of blue crescents over a white background

Windward
    -A large, copper leafed oak tree with a vast network of roots
    -An angled, ripple C with an arrow overlaying

These will be the countries' unified symbols. Sure, warlords, cities, factions, would all have their own symbols, but these are for the COUNTRIES themselves. Thanks again and keep them coming.
    Last edited by Bian; 09-08-2013, 08:43 AM.

Aestiva - Two crossed spears over an ornate oval shield. The symbolism should be fairly obvious with Aestiva being a largely militant nation with a focus on expert spear wielders. I don't really remember there being any instances of an actual symbol being used in game history, just a reference to 'the symbol of aestiva' on cloaks and such.
    "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

I think we should refrain from using 'sword and shield' like symbols for countries where ever possible. Altene and Cineran might make sense but otherwise we should get a little more creative. For instance, Aestivans are actually more well known for their engineering. Iridines would probably be based around the Sun. Tucheans might be ocean related.. and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by sammus12 View Post
        I think we should refrain from using 'sword and shield' like symbols for countries where ever possible. Altene and Cineran might make sense but otherwise we should get a little more creative. For instance, Aestivans are actually more well known for their engineering. Iridines would probably be based around the Sun. Tucheans might be ocean related.. and so on.
        Aestivans might be famous for their engineering, and being incredibly stubborn, but they're ruled by a military council and military service is as big a part of their culture as it is in Altene. I'd say a militant symbol for them isn't pushing it by any means.
        "You don't need to kill him or anything. Just give 'im something to think about on the way to surgery."

"Any day you have to take a bath and go to bed early isn't a day off in -my- book."

"We've got to contend with vortexes and light speeds! Anything could go wrong! Of course we need to wear goggles!"

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

I was actually going to suggest something architectural for Aestiva. They're also known for their bridges and their ability to turn barren wastelands into lush, verdant areas suitable for farming.

But, that's not to say if people wanted spears that I would not give them spears!

Comment

Tuchea: A free-range chicken running so fast it's kicking up flames.

Cenath: A sailing ship encircled with pearls (or round spheres)

Altene could have a few different symbols depending on which company but, i guess a fist would do
            Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
            Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

The Aestivan League is purported to have a history as long as Iridine's, but
              its constituents have only begun to keep written records in recent centuries.
              What is known is that the Aestivan League's ruling council has always been
              made up of seven generals who keep the land under strict organized rule and
              are usually 'elected' for life, whether through prowess in battle or a talent
              for superior strategy. Despite this military slant to life, the Aestivan
              League has had few revolutions, and everyday life is not unduly harsh or
              oppressive, being, in fact, better than many other 'freer' countries. The
              people of the Aestivan League take to order, discipline, and duty as ducks
              take to water, and thus, military rule is no hardship. It has been surmised
              that far in the past, the ancestors of the current Aestivan people were
              a landless company of soldiers, either a legion or mercenaries, who chose to
              settle in what is now the Aestivan League and carve a permanent home for
              themselves. No records exist to prove or refute this, though Aestivans are
              inordinately proud of their military accomplishments, holding them up against
              those of Altenes and Iridinians for comparison.
              Well, just going from their history, and my own personal experiences of playing Aestivans (most of my mains have been Aestivan, with one being rather well known for it), I've always seen Aestiva as an extremely militant society.

Why not do something involving both aspects? Combine engineering and military prowess into one symbol and you've got an all encompassing symbol of Aestiva. Bonus points for a symbol that also alludes to stubbornness.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Comment

Originally posted by Kalonis View Post
                Well, just going from their history, and my own personal experiences of playing Aestivans (most of my mains have been Aestivan, with one being rather well known for it), I've always seen Aestiva as an extremely militant society.

Why not do something involving both aspects? Combine engineering and military prowess into one symbol and you've got an all encompassing symbol of Aestiva. Bonus points for a symbol that also alludes to stubbornness.
                The fortress/castle/tower, impenetrable, always standing.

Comment

Originally posted by celticdark View Post

Cenath: A sailing ship encircled with pearls (or round spheres)

Altene could have a few different symbols depending on which company but, i guess a fist would do
                  Let's try to be serious, here.

And no to Cenath. That isn't a country that would be well known enough by anyone to necessitate a symbol. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by celticdark View Post
                    ...The kingdoms cities are overpopulated. In the past this was remedied by great campaigns bent on domination and acquisition. Because of their reputation as skilled sailors, Tuchean pirate ships, as well as ships of the royal kingdom, are a feared sight. A leaning toward a horde mentality has had as a consequence that Tucheans have little regard for human life, their own as well as that of their foes. This has cost them dearly in the past.
                    It wasn't cowardice that was Tuchea's downfall, it was their lack of organization in the face of Iridine's disciplined army. Just like the Celts and Gauls were cut down by Rome's. And let's not forget they take in the homeless charity cases of the world, too.

I would say Tuchea would be well represented by water below with a brilliant star (Ducos) and the sun over it to represent the chief points used for navigating at sea.

Comment

A fortress with two crossed spears behind it? Maybe that would work for Aestiva.

And for Altene, how about a hand clutching a heart? That could symbolize the Hand or Fist of Altene (the five main companies) and the Heart of Altene (the home army) and how they are intertwined.
                      Don't tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Saty-girl View Post
                        It wasn't cowardice that was Tuchea's downfall, it was their lack of organization in the face of Iridine's disciplined army. Just like the Celts and Gauls were cut down by Rome's. And let's not forget they take in the homeless charity cases of the world, too.

I would say Tuchea would be well represented by water below with a brilliant star (Ducos) and the sun over it to represent the chief points used for navigating at sea.

That sounds good. Maybe we could put a sea serpent on the water as well to spice it up a bit?

Edit: I like the Cenath symbol as well. Even if it wasn't a well-known symbol in Iridine, every nation would probably have a symbol that they used on their flags for their ships and on their cargo.
                        Don't tread on me.

Comment

I have "a cured bear hide branded with the symbol of Cenath." I'm not too familiar with Cenath other than the Melangel storyarc, but I always imagined it being a ship with a highly stylized cloud with a face in it blowing curvy lines into the sail of the ship.

Can you add something about Cenath to the help files? Even that it exists and much isn't know of it?

For Iridine, I always liked the idea of a sun just clearing a mountain to represent Iridine's sacrifice.
                          No time for this - there are artifacts to find!

Comment

Cenath is very purposefully vague. It isn't simply omitted because it was forgotten about. It was omitted because it was thought about.

I'll have to look into the bear hide. That's ... well. Interesting. Unsurprising, but interesting. I suppose having a GENERAL "symbol" for Cenath isn't a horrible idea, but it would be one that other people would make up, and certainly not something sanctioned by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bian View Post
                              I was actually going to suggest something architectural for Aestiva. They're also known for their bridges and their ability to turn barren wastelands into lush, verdant areas suitable for farming.

But, that's not to say if people wanted spears that I would not give them spears!
                              A hammer, chisel, and stone with a bridge in construction the background

Comment

Working...
                              X