Arrow Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Costs

Just wanted to talk about arrows costs here and see others point of view on this.

I know crappy arrows are free and you can go to the treehouse to get them and or craft flint tipped for free as well with the proper skillsets but I am more focusing on the bronze and iron arrows in this post.

The test I did was on iron arrows which cost 16 denar each (and a few sens) I went to a few different hunting areas like the treehouse and grey sands. Solo in these areas it takes approximately 12 to 14 arrows to knock out an opponent. The cost of these arrows is 192 denars to 224 denars and they are not recoverable because they break on impact, or are stuck in the corpses.

The average amount of money you retrieve from these corpses after carting back all the loot is near/around 120 to 210 denars unless you get the rare iron tridents in grey sands which dont happen often. It seems that the cost of arrows is always producing a negative result when using good arrows and I know I can use crappy arrows but like any other weapon you want to use one that outputs good damage in a fight or everyone would be using wooden weapons.

All other weapons have a one time cost for high quality weapons and I understand arrows are different obviously, but can we please cut down the costs to around half of the current. Somewhere around 8 denars for each iron arrow would be much easier to deal with because as it sits in one fatigue bar of hunting it costs around 1 and a half talents of lost arrows and the gain of loot is just barely pays for the arrows and sometimes doesnt even cover that.

So instead of changing the prices of arrows, why don't we make them retrievable to a certain extent? Makes sense to me.

Comment

But make them do crap damage with a starting bow?

And the best bow to get the most damage out of the arrow would cost upward of 80 talents?
      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
      Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
      Originally posted by Tale
      My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Either lowering the costs of arrows or even lowering the costs of the tips to add them to PC-made arrows would be good. And Tel's numbers are pretty accurate. Even "saving money" by having an outdoors person make them for Kal, it still barely clears costs, especially if prices are down for the loot market.

Being able to recover them would also be fine. Maybe even just the shafts and therefore, you need to buy new tips? (which you do not need an outdoors person to add a tip to an arrow, just to make the shaft and fletching of them) That would be slightly realistic as well. I actually do archery, and occasionally, I have to replace tips, even after only shooting into a hay bale.

Frankly, I don't even plan on making money anymore if I have Kal go on a hunt where she uses her archery, because if I use arrows worth a damn, it just isn't going to happen.
        This isn't a bakery. We aren't gonna sugar coat sh*t for you.

Tell a lie often enough and with enough conviction, it will become truth to all who hear, and say, it.

Comment

Banditry is the best way to buy new arrows.

But yes, they are oddly expensive. I wouldn't think an arrow should cost more than a sterce or denarii regardless of tip. It's not right for an archer to not make positive money while hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by urek23 View Post
            So instead of changing the prices of arrows, why don't we make them retrievable to a certain extent? Makes sense to me.
            I always thought this was the case. If a corpse has arrows in it, you can get arrow from corpse to retrieve them, unless they broke.
            "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Livak View Post
              I always thought this was the case. If a corpse has arrows in it, you can get arrow from corpse to retrieve them, unless they broke.
              You lose a ton of arrows.

Comment

Yeah, I agree that they're too expensive. Just wanted to make sure they were aware they can get some of them back.
                "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

Yeah, I agree that they're too expensive. Just wanted to make sure they were aware they can get some of them back.
                  I say we change all misses to just having the arrows drop to the ground. Just like a spear throw does, except lets do it with arrows. Make the arrows that get stuck to NPCs or whatever <target> you are shooting at actually count properly and give you back the same amount. You could buy a set of 50 iron arrows and always get your 50 arrows back each time you went hunting.

Comment

I say we change all misses to just having the arrows drop to the ground. Just like a spear throw does, except lets do it with arrows. Make the arrows that get stuck to NPCs or whatever <target> you are shooting at actually count properly and give you back the same amount. You could buy a set of 50 iron arrows and always get your 50 arrows back each time you went hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenerai View Post
                      And then complain in a months time that archers have too much money and we need a money sink for them.
                      Argued with GM Tale on forums.
                      Character wakes up with 2hp and 2 fatigue, mangled face.
                      Skotos didn't care.

Originally posted by Elowynn
                      It's not a good sign if glenh makes more sense than you, L.
                      Originally posted by Tale
                      My apologies to Glenh.

Comment

Originally posted by glenh View Post
                        And then complain in a months time that archers have too much money and we need a money sink for them.
                        How is it different from any other weapon once you acquired a Retalq weapon?

Comment

You can craft your own iron arrows FYI, I am not sure how much you would save though.

Sure arrows are expensive and it sucks as a new archer, but I think it is fine the way it is.

Comment

Bronze and Iron arrowheads now come in bags of thirty instead of twenty. The price was not increased with the quantity, so they're slightly cheaper overall per arrowhead.

The better recovery of arrows is a good idea. I would @report it as a Suggestion ticket.
                            Game Master Tale
                            Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
                              Bronze and Iron arrowheads now come in bags of thirty instead of twenty. The price was not increased with the quantity, so they're slightly cheaper overall per arrowhead.

The better recovery of arrows is a good idea. I would @report it as a Suggestion ticket.
                              Thanks for coming up with an option that makes arrow crafters more viable, I wish there was more reasons for people to buy stuff from other players.

Comment

Working...
                              X