Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming Games / Festivals Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upcoming Games / Festivals Stuff

    It has been a few days since Talius was appointed and we're not going to have any official events until the next Festival, so I wanted to give everyone an idea of what my office is doing and where we're headed.

    Where We Are
    On the Games side we already have an active and eager Editor and lots of gladiators clamoring for events.

    On the Festivals side (which isn't going to be nearly as separate as I'm making it sound) there has been very little activity for a long time, no established roles to facilitate it, and not as much pressure from the playerbase to do more.

    What We've Been Doing
    • I've named Lusa to be my direct delegate for non-martial festival activity. I've put in a request to have this role officially recognized as an analog to the Editor role. She and I are working feverishly on an outline for future activity and are reaching out to entertainers / writers / organizers who may have a role.
    • I came to Culexus with my plan for colosseum activity and he has been codifying my ideas, his ideas, and his experience into a single cohesive plan for non-festival Games stuff. We've talked through a rough draft and are very close to being able to share this information with you.


    Where We're Going (or... What You're Going to Get)
    • A framework for weekly (IG monthly) fight-nights with interspersed unscheduled fights. Yes - there will be weekly games, but with organization toward long-term prizes
    • More pageantry - with Culexus's and Lusa's combined efforts, we're aiming for increased Roman-themed immersion and flair for all events
    • Guaranteed special events for every festival containing (at minimum):
      • A bigger, more varied set of games with sponsors and greater prizes. No two will ever be quite the same.
      • At least one non-colosseum event / contest. This could be a poetry contest, a footrace, trivia, archery, whatever.
      • A feast to seal the festival, hand out prizes, honor special attendees or sponsors, etc.
      • Increased religious participation


    We're all eager to get underway but this is a necessary preparation / planning phase we must complete before diving in. It is likely that the Festival of the Conqueror will be the next official G&F event, so please bear with us until then. To keep you satiated, here are the tentative plans for the next festival (subject to addition - not subtraction):

    Friday night: Archery contest at Campus Martius
    Saturday afternoon: Colosseum games - Individual fights, a medium-sized lower-tier open melee, and a finale including three teams, a time limit, a wagon, and a bag of money
    Saturday evening: Feast & prizes with some sort of entertainment

    Please let me know if you have any suggestions, ideas, or if you want to get involved.
    Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

  • #2
    When are magical blessings that give people unfair boosts to HP Regen and Stats going to be banned from Colosseum competition?

    Comment


    • #3
      Can we expect more Colosseum events to be against NPCs? Or GMNPCs, I guess?
      Because there's never going to be a day I can compete with the actual PCs that usually attend fight nights.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by krisslanza View Post
        Can we expect more Colosseum events to be against NPCs? Or GMNPCs, I guess?
        Because there's never going to be a day I can compete with the actual PCs that usually attend fight nights.
        This is a flawed attitude. There are far more PCs in the rank-stat range that your character is, than the Hurroks or Vierra's of the game. The attitude of non-worthyness is what is holding the games back, far more than any inherent build difference.

        Take part. Regardless of skill. It is specifically encouraged.

        Though yes, there will still be gmnpc and sgnpc involvement.

        Originally posted by VinianQuartz
        HAIL CULEXUS

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Armataan View Post
          This is a flawed attitude. There are far more PCs in the rank-stat range that your character is, than the Hurroks or Vierra's of the game. The attitude of non-worthyness is what is holding the games back, far more than any inherent build difference.

          Take part. Regardless of skill. It is specifically encouraged.

          Though yes, there will still be gmnpc and sgnpc involvement.
          I tend to take part in fight nights regardless, but it's discouraging usually when I have to roll really high to hit them, and they can wail on me. It also makes for a more boring experience to watch, I imagine.

          Although I guess in most fight nights, people don't know my stats/skills.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bucaria View Post
            When are magical blessings that give people unfair boosts to HP Regen and Stats going to be banned from Colosseum competition?
            When I get the necessary political cover to do so. Or when I figure out a way to block it without outright banning it.

            As for skill discrepancies...
            There will be a wide variety of event types which will allow for different strategies, including teaming up against superior opponents. While 1v1 will always be the classic staple, we'll try very hard to avoid repetition. For instance, if Hurrok is repeatedly wiping the floor with his opponents, he's going to find himself (over time) in more handicap matches. Gives his opponents a better chance and gives him better glory (and reward).
            Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TaliusNoraetis View Post
              When I get the necessary political cover to do so. Or when I figure out a way to block it without outright banning it.

              As for skill discrepancies...
              There will be a wide variety of event types which will allow for different strategies, including teaming up against superior opponents. While 1v1 will always be the classic staple, we'll try very hard to avoid repetition. For instance, if Hurrok is repeatedly wiping the floor with his opponents, he's going to find himself (over time) in more handicap matches. Gives his opponents a better chance and gives him better glory (and reward).
              Appreciate the response.

              If player usable magic had been in the game fifteen years ago, I never would have started playing. It's a headache now regarding the discrepancies. Hopefully it is either removed or significantly nerfed. I understand the political ramifications of outright angering the cult ICly, though.

              Also, handicap matches are a great idea. The talent pool of potential top tier gladiator dwindles when people quit/die/can't make a particular day. You and the Editor can hopefully come up with some challenging handicaps.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by krisslanza View Post
                I tend to take part in fight nights regardless, but it's discouraging usually when I have to roll really high to hit them, and they can wail on me. It also makes for a more boring experience to watch, I imagine.

                Although I guess in most fight nights, people don't know my stats/skills.
                High ranks in defense just look at luis stats and ranks they were crap but i did ok
                Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

                Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

                Originally Posted by urek23
                Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm looking for two to three people with an extra character slot they wouldn't mind using for throwaway characters for G&F stuff. Please PM me if interested.
                  Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you happen to have a character with artistic interests, please PM me as well.

                    We are going to open up new avenues for role-playing by featuring individuals who can do the following:
                    • Artwork
                    • Singing
                    • Dancing
                    • Poetry
                    • Magic Tricks
                    • Gymnastic/Physical Feat Exhibitions (Non-Martial)
                    • Instrumentalists
                    • Comedians
                    • Storytellers/Actors
                    • Jugglers
                    • And much more...!


                    My online times may not always intersect with those of the people who play characters with the aforementioned talents. We'll use PMs initially for me to at least have an idea of who you play and what times you are typically on. From there, I'll endeavor to arrange ways for us to meet ICly and move this forward. :-)

                    Thank you!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X