Iridine Culture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iridine Culture

Are there any sources of information on the Republic and culture aside from the help file? If so could someone point them to me? What era of the real Roman Empire is this game near and are there any glaring differences in culture I should know if I look at a history book for help? I want to play a citizen for the first time ever and I would like to come into it knowing my stuff.

Originally posted by Itsarka View Post
    Are there any sources of information on the Republic and culture aside from the help file? If so could someone point them to me? What era of the real Roman Empire is this game near and are there any glaring differences in culture I should know if I look at a history book for help? I want to play a citizen for the first time ever and I would like to come into it knowing my stuff.
    For the most part the historic period is set between the first and second triumvirate. The population and size is closer to the late roman kingdom, or a more helpful explanation might be to just consider this to be early aetolian league period/location.

Despite the slave to citizen count being roughly 1:1 in story, you will NEVER see slaves in game. Despite the citizen/roman-borne non-citizen count for the same period being roughly 1:1 as well, those will basically be treated as non-existent.

Patrician/plebian dynamics as well as citizen/foreigner dynamics are largely ignored by most of the players, and are treated more like the sir/sar situation in 19th century england (between patircians/everybody else) and patrician/foreigner interactions are basically treated as in all ways identical to patrician/citizen interactions by virtually everybody.

Yhe culture is strictly monotheastic despite it being radically out of period, and despite subtle sexism (no females in any high office besides assistants, at any point in recorded history), women are for the most part treated without the inherent sexism that would otherwise exist in a similar culture.

</opinion>

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
    HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
      For the most part the historic period is set between the first and second triumvirate.
      Has this been stated outright? I would put it nearer to 100 BCE, just after the Marian reforms.
      Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

Comment

I doubt there is hardly anything "official" to be honest, but Orasca Calsuan seems to very clearly be based upon Marcus Licinius Crassus.

Which would mean the first triumvirate officially ended with Orasca's death. Therefore, logically, 20 years later the 2nd triumvirate would have begun but lots of other things would have happoened before then... and NOTHING happened since Orasca died. At all. There has litearlly been nothing meaningful in TEC in that time. (we lost 2 minor battles and the territories they included, and won 2 minor battles at the exact same locations to regain the now ruined territories. So basically the whole world froze for 20 years, and then kept being frozen for the next 20.)

Which means we're floating in a time-loop somewhere after the end of the first triumvirate before the rise of the second.

Originally posted by VinianQuartz
        HAIL CULEXUS

Comment

Originally posted by Armataan View Post
          Orasca Calsuan seems to very clearly be based upon Marcus Licinius Crassus.
          I'm not seeing the comparison. What's your case for it?

I'd say Orasca Calsuan is best compared to Sulla, but even that one doesn't line up well. My opinion is that Orasca was not based on any historical figure.
          Why: Talius has a burr up his butt

Comment

TEC is only loosely 'based on' roman republic.

On the paper (helpfiles, etc..), the Republic of Iridine is really early Republic in mater of size, society, army and demography and before the marian reform for sure.

Regarding the Senate, politics and the events, it is managed as late Republic. And to be honest, all wait to have events that would lead the Republic to civil war or to the Empire. But to achieve that it would require an investment of the staff in the political area that has been lacking for about 10 years now.

Regarding Religion (and Justice system on many aspects) is Empire with the monoteism victory (Even if Ereal isn't Mithra, they are quite similar in the facts).

So Iridine is Iridine... and we shouldn't try to investigate too much because the building doesn't stand well, but who cares? As Amartaan said, Iridine is trapped in a time loop where nothing important really happens.
            Vinian whispers to you, "[ brb just had a naked guy fall into my backyard....WTF!! ]"

Je suis Charlie

Comment

Working...
            X