Mission Impossible: Get the Max out of the Ludus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Impossible: Get the Max out of the Ludus

So a couple of players helped me out in game and straightened me out about how to go about training my character. I ended up unlearning about a hundred ranks to more defensively train.

For the first rank cut off, its 249 total combat ranks, and I believe the last cut off is 750. I totally forgot what the mid cut off was.

It was recommended to me to do 40/10x5 combat skill, and something similar in CM's.

I was thinking, why not use that low level Ludus to train up the impossible skills? They cost more, but the ranks are not weighted, as far as I understand.

So for example, if you have space left in your 249, why not train up like 20-30 ranks in say reflexes or another impossible skill if you can? From what I understand, you wont see improvements to your "X" stat until "y" amount of ranks. At that point though, in a 2nd skill slot, the cost of a impossible skills to rank up from 0-30 compared to an easy skill is just over double the cost.

Does this seem worth it, or am I crazy?

The last time I put a character through there I learned the four easiest attacks and basics to 30, dodges and basics to 30, then went to town on stat skills. I had the exact same idea, get the most out of this insanely high SP area while I can still get in. That base level (all 30) was enough to limp through, but the second level (250-499) could become a nightmare at first. I suggest trying it when you get to about 150 ranks to see what exactly you'll need there so you don't end up nursing broken bones every week.

Comment

Just because a skill is harder... does not mean it's worth doing first. For some people, getting the stat skills is their priority, because it's so hard... but that's nonsense talk, the ludus will become a pain in the arse training that way. What you want to do, to make sure that the ludus is easy, and stays easy, is to be even, the whole way through, you only need five offensive skills, and the six dodges, and your blocks. If you want to be really even, you get more offensive actions to equal out your defense. After you've built your basic foundation, and are no longer allowed in the ludus, if you followed the advice, you can move on to other areas, without really worrying about it. And THAT is when you bust down your weapon stance, your stat skills, and all the support stuff. Unless your stance is required for actually using the skill... then you do that as you go through the different areas, with it finished before you leave the second area, but not before you leave the first.

That's just my opinion, take it or leave it. The ludus is for a foundation, not to master the impossible skills faster, but do as you wish, though I also suggest getting a mentor in the game to teach you how to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by extraha View Post
        I was thinking, why not use that low level Ludus to train up the impossible skills? They cost more, but the ranks are not weighted, as far as I understand.
        In most cases difficult or impossible skills (outside of stat skills) are highly situational and won't be effective or useful at such low levels. There are a few exceptions, but in most cases you're better off focusing on the skills that work in as many situations as possible and land as easy as possible. So for a lot of weapons that means skipping utilities until getting out of the ludus and just focusing on your core easy and average attacks.

My best advice is to have a plan before learning your first rank. If you're not doing PvP or don't plan on fighting a lot of humanoid NPCs (at the start), certain skills won't need as many ranks and can be put off until later. In the end it comes down to your weapon choice, where you plan on going to make coin and how fast you want to be able to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by lykatos View Post

My best advice is to have a plan before learning your first rank. If you're not doing PvP or don't plan on fighting a lot of humanoid NPCs (at the start), certain skills won't need as many ranks and can be put off until later. In the end it comes down to your weapon choice, where you plan on going to make coin and how fast you want to be able to move forward.
          This is such good advice! Ahhh! This is the kind of thing we need for newbies. Look, I've been on and off for many years, and I thought it would be a good idea to get basics up to 90 and work on everything else. All this did was make it nearly impossible as well as unfun to train. Seriously, who knew that you should plan your training out?

To the characters that helped me in game: You are awesome, and its working great!! Also, Im having fun doing it!

Comment

Working...
          X