Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Shield Edge Bash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shield Edge Bash

Does Blade Mastery work with Shield Edge bash?

There's really no way for me to test this or figure it out.... for myself.

I don't know the answer, but I do wonder, why would it? And if it does, why does it?

Comment

Well, Shield Edge Bash does Cuts, and if it is a bladed weapon, the rim of your shield....

Then, I don't know why it wouldn't, but it is discouraging if it doesn't, because then...

I unlearned sap, and learned rim bash for nothing, lol.

Does Pardelian Stab and Twist, work with sword Basic Lunge?

Comment

Like, Cineran Blade mastery works with a fang stave..... or spiked mace, i was hoping it worked with Edge Bash

Comment

Knives, Swords, Cestus. Shields aren't one of those three weapons. The search button at the top right of the screen is real handy for these kinds of questions. There were about fourteen pages of posts about blade mastery.

Comment

Well, Blade mastery works with Cestii, and spiked clubs, and fangstave....

I just wanted to know if it worked with this Edge Bash, because it does do blade/cutting damage.

But anyways...

What is the author of the Arkham by Night question answer? I can't find it on google

Comment

Does cineran blade mastery work with GLadius at least?

Comment

The reason I was asking is because, I unlearned a bunch of sap ranks, to learn edge bash...

Thinking the blade mastery would go with the cutting damage of edge bash....

To learn a 3rd slot skill, over a 1st slot difficult sap, is stupid... and i lost a lot of ranks unlearning to learn edgebash, if this cineran blade mastery doesn't work for it's cutting damage.

So I hope it does... because otherwise, i'm learning a 3rd slot sap, over a 1st slot sap.... and lost sp in changing over.

Comment

Originally posted by yezrah7 View Post
                  Well, Blade mastery works with Cestii, and spiked clubs, and fangstave....
                  No. You really need to take time and look at what the search button returns. Mechanics change in TEC, and often with little or no announcement. I actually gave you the correct information, but I guess spamming the thread to bump your post count was more important. The nonsense that followed is in no way constructive to the next person with the same question who actually bothers to search for an answer instead of making a new thread and dropping five of the first seven replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantraste View Post
                    Knives, Swords, Cestus. Shields aren't one of those three weapons. The search button at the top right of the screen is real handy for these kinds of questions. There were about fourteen pages of posts about blade mastery.

No. You really need to take time and look at what the search button returns. Mechanics change in TEC, and often with little or no announcement. I actually gave you the correct information, but I guess spamming the thread to bump your post count was more important. The nonsense that followed is in no way constructive to the next person with the same question who actually bothers to search for an answer instead of making a new thread and dropping five of the first seven replies.
                    Which is it? Is the information from 6+ years ago relevant, or have the mechanics possibly changed? Yeah, I searched for "blade mastery" in the search box. The closest thing to come up was from Tale, when someone asked what Blade Mastery affects:

Originally posted by Tale View Post

Knives, daggers, and dirks?
                    This was from 9/19/2013

The next most relevant and helpful thing was from 6/13/2011:

Originally posted by SirLocke View Post
                    Blade mastery's crit bonus isn't nearly as much as it once was. Plus perception and dex both add far less to crit chance than they used to. There was a time when us knivers with exception-inhuman dex/perception, blade mastery, and hand of fate could crit at 1 over, albeit it not very often. Since the crit changes a few years ago, my crit rate was dropped probably by about 90%. Granted, I suspect it may be because blade mastery isn't applied to dirks like it is to knives, but who knows.

Long story short, I suck.

I actually gave you the correct information, but I guess spamming the thread to bump your post count was more important.
                    Is this kind of thing actually necessary, and conducive to a positive gaming environment?

Comment

Lovecraft is the author, we have another game with the Lovecraft theme for those campy low budget gore-horror fans

Comment

Blade mastery was changed to only work with "weapons where you could control the cutting surface". Nothing more detailed was ever really explained. Then later on Tale only listed knives when someone else asked about it. But with just about anything mechanics related in the game, you'll rarely get a straight or correct answer from a GM. Of course unless it gives you an advantage... then it will be nerfed.

As far as new changes, none have been announced since Japes left, and they only real changes are usually accidental ones due to the code being cleaned up or modified.

Comment

Originally posted by extraha View Post

Which is it?
                          It was the first three words of the post you were quoting. That didn't seem too hard to figure out, but maybe I'm giving people too much credit. I actually spent a few minutes going through stuff to make sure I wasn't giving him a shit answer instead of cherry picking the first couple of results that came up.

Originally posted by extraha View Post

Is this kind of thing actually necessary, and conducive to a positive gaming environment?

Yes. The OP constantly makes rambling posts in threads that do little more than clog up search results. By posting that fangstaves and spiked clubs both benefit from that trait he's just further backing up what you were trying to get across in the straw man postings you threw in for your attempt to discredit someone who was actually trying to stop the spreading of goofy information. I hope he read that. I hope it offended him. I hope he stops hitting the reply button every three minutes.

To add to what Lykatos was saying about "control the cutting surface", this trait provides a modest bonus to certain moves. Critical hits are one of the most mysterious mechanics in the game. Testing is difficult and requires looking at a large data set to gather any evidence that something is better or worse. That, or you just have to get a GM to show you code. The OP is worried about an end game bonus that will do him little to no good until the character is well beyond the point of having to worry about needless training. Stats and move rank count seem to play a much greater role in critical hit success, which will make the rate bonus from this trait mean much less until he's pushing moves up past 100.

Comment

Originally posted by yezrah7 View Post
                            Well, Shield Edge Bash does Cuts, and if it is a bladed weapon, the rim of your shield....

Then, I don't know why it wouldn't, but it is discouraging if it doesn't, because then...

I unlearned sap, and learned rim bash for nothing, lol.

Does Pardelian Stab and Twist, work with sword Basic Lunge?
                            Edge bash is better than regular sap in almost every way. Stab and twist works with lunge.

Comment

It was the first three words of the post you were quoting. That didn't seem too hard to figure out, but maybe I'm giving people too much credit. I actually spent a few minutes going through stuff to make sure I wasn't giving him a shit answer instead of cherry picking the first couple of results that came up.
                              "Shit answer"? You mean
                              Knives, Swords, Cestus.
                              ? Your first three words? Are you understanding that you wrote
                              Mechanics change in TEC, and often with little or no announcement.
                              Like, what information did you go through to figure out that your answer is more right than Tale's? Is there a post I missed somewhere? Something on the wikidot I missed? How can you infer that I cherry picked the information? I chose the post from Tale because it was sequentially the most recent, the most relevant, and from a person that has coding access to the game. Also, I read all the posts back to 2009, that hit on "blade mastery", as well as I actually read every change that was written in the GM announcement sub-forum for this game just in case something about blade mastery came up before I posted anything.

Yes. The OP constantly makes rambling posts in threads that do little more than clog up search results.
                              But...if someone has the same question, wouldn't someone hopefully post a correct answer?

By posting that fangstaves and spiked clubs both benefit from that trait he's just further backing up what you were trying to get across in the straw man postings you threw in for your attempt to discredit someone who was actually trying to stop the spreading of goofy information.
                              When people get tough on the internet, and the goings get tougher, they usually bring up the "straw man argument." This is how it applied:
                              You claim that game mechanics change often, and could change without notice. You then told him that knives swords and cestii were affected by blade mastery, nothing else.
                              Your attitude towards his questioning perplexed me, so I searched for "blade mastery" and was startled to find that the most recent question and answers went back to 2013.
                              There's no random argument that I'm trying to bring up. You are jumping on this person about asking questions on a subject that has not had a question asked on it for four years, and when you tear into him you tell him that mechanics change often and with no announcement.
                              My "which is it?" was directed at you. Which is it between the two: Is your answer is correct, because you searched them and pulled them somewhere else out of the forums (apparently from like fourteen pages about blade mastery), or could game mechanics have changed in four years since the last time someone dealt with this?

I hope he read that. I hope it offended him. I hope he stops hitting the reply button every three minutes.
                              Really? That's what you want? A hostile forum environment? A hostile game environment? I guess that's cool if you're content with the same ol same ol people who just simply ignore the forums entirely in its current state. I mean, you can hardly ask questions of people in game. What do you do? You come here and hope to get an answer. The problem is, there is hardly anyone coming on these forums to answer or ask questions at all. Yes, you ARE appreciated for answering questions. The dude waited 22 hours between his first posts in this thread, and then you can see he had a thought process, which lead him to multi-posting within minutes. For shame! He didnt use the edit post button! OH dear lets TEACH HIM A LESSON. Really?
                              Why play a game that is built around interacting with one another, when those others treat you like crap? I mean, if you want to be treated like crap then go to work. Got a good job? Go to the gas station. Dont got a car to fill up? No problem, buy one and hang out at the DMV.

People come here to get away from life, not be told that they should be offended by asking a question about a game.

You know what I find aggravating? That there are those spam posts all over the place and its hard enough to navigate these forums. Why dont you post on those threads and tell off the spam bot? That might do ya some good.

Comment

Working...
                              X