Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Footshot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rinduck View Post
    I would really like to see a more open interaction between players and GMs BEFORE and after combat changes. BRP should still exist. I would like to see a more active role in combat balancing than simply 'Nerfing the moves people complain about most'
    The tweak to group hunting grounds was one of the most positive interactions I'd seen in a while (despite some folks' attempts to derail it). Player raises an issue, there is some agreement from other players, GM shares why it's challenging to change, more discussion, GM makes a change, there is some tweaking, people are (for the most part) satisfied.

I understand why this approach won't work for everything. But my sense is that most of the folks involved in that change felt even more satisfied about it because they contributed and helped 'own' the solution. I think that's what most people are looking for - to be heard, have transparency and a chance to be involved. It goes a long way toward community building.

Comment

I agree with GinaDana. I know that the GM staff is underpaid, overworked, busy and dedicated - so, I'm not trying to complain too much. However, the change to Footshot is significant enough to warrant a dialogue between staff and players, considering that what may seem to be a small change is actually a big deal to archers, considering how few attacks they have.

Here's an attempt at some constructive feedback: I've never seen an NPC nor PC fail to free themselves from a Footshot on the first try; how about since the range of Footshot has been nerfed, the power could be enhanced? Find a balance between a knock-down and an impale?
      [color=dark yellow]Verbal Crushings[/color]
             &nbsp ;[color=dark yellow]Now Serving #[/color][color=royal blue]7[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by GinaDana View Post

I understand why this approach won't work for everything. But my sense is that most of the folks involved in that change felt even more satisfied about it because they contributed and helped 'own' the solution. I think that's what most people are looking for - to be heard, have transparency and a chance to be involved. It goes a long way toward community building.
        I disagree, what people are REALLY irritated by is how every combat change is a nerf instead of a balance. Nerf's can be a balance but they are also usually accompanied by a set of changes rather than just one change to one ability.

I understand the need to try and make sense of people's gripes by saying its because we want to 'own' the changes, but I think that is not correct. We have actually become to accustomed to no change that when a change to the docks takes place... although certainly positive is still not much of a change. In fact its not really a change, its now operating as intended upon first release.
        Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post

I disagree, what people are REALLY irritated by is how every combat change is a nerf instead of a balance. Nerf's can be a balance but they are also usually accompanied by a set of changes rather than just one change to one ability.

I understand the need to try and make sense of people's gripes by saying its because we want to 'own' the changes, but I think that is not correct. We have actually become to accustomed to no change that when a change to the docks takes place... although certainly positive is still not much of a change. In fact its not really a change, its now operating as intended upon first release.
          Nail on the head, Felisin
          "...only you can prevent forest fires" The Legendary Smokey the Bear

Comment

Archery is a purely offensive skill, no 'realistic' hope of defense. This change with Footshot totally changes the play style of ALL archers. Archers are now limited to basic shot, head shot, hand shot, rapid fire at range. The only way I can see this being a feasible change is to allow archers to wield shields, or block with an arrow in hand <insert facetiousness>
            "...only you can prevent forest fires" The Legendary Smokey the Bear

Comment

I like the idea of being able to block with your bow

Comment

If you start giving archers weapon block, you're gonna have to do something to counter their overpowering offense against two handed weapon users who don't have the benefit of missile defense from shields. Or, its gonna end up being another cluster of stupidity pvp.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran View Post
                  If you start giving archers weapon block, you're gonna have to do something to counter their overpowering offense against two handed weapon users who don't have the benefit of missile defense from shields. Or, its gonna end up being another cluster of stupidity pvp.
                  Kind of like where staves is at now with all the buffs they got?

Comment

Originally posted by The_thief View Post

First, Staves haven't gotten any recent buffs. Been a few nerfs, but no buffs.

Followingly, don't mouth off like I have ever said Staves weren't the most broken shit in the game. In fact, I have made multiple posts, as has Syden pointing out Staves surpassed our primary weapons at a 3rd of the ranks. You can also thank Syden for #spamming sspin/dsweep for anything at all being addressed in the skill set.

I simply pointed out you can't give archers blocks without facing the reality that a barbed arrow will crap on every two handed weapon users. News flash: There's more two handed weapons than just Staves. In fact 40% of the game is two handed axers?

Comment

Originally posted by The_thief View Post

They haven't been buffed in a long time, there just weren't any players who took advantages of the obvious advantages. Lol hell I got the trident stance changes nerfed with 2 hours of gameplay.

The major problem I have with TEC combat changes is that they are usually heavy handed nerfings or unbalanced buffs that seeming weren't tested. Weapons/skills that have excelled in the past are neutered to he point of being useless then forgotten. There's rarely a readjustment past the initial nerfing to try to find an area of balance.

Comment

A few things I'd like to touch on that have been brought up in this thread. (And this is as someone who had nothing to do with the alterations made to Footshot):

As far as an archer's ability to kite, there is Parting Shot, which was (until today), the fastest archery attack in the game.

Whether you measure hit-for-hit or rank-for-rank, archery is the most damaging bang-for-your-buck skillset in the game. This was true even when the only attack was Basic Shot before rotation penalties were introduced. You need a fraction of the ranks, and no particular stat to make it a truly powerful skillset, as its damage is primarily based on ranks. And the rank requirements are set very very low compared to melee skillsets. Yes, it's a glass cannon...but a seriously deadly one. Forum user Matt was very accurate in his breakdown of this.

"Realism" may have been a small part of the change, but in reality, AI is restrictive for ranged combat in terms of being able to 'hunt you down'. Archers continuously keeping a mob pinned to one place and never letting it up to move around while firing at a distance was a tactic that basically made it a risk-free-auto-win in terms of single mobs. Also, not allowing it to move around and 'find' any players could and did cause a lot of mobs to despawn, thinking there was no target in the area. Effectively timing out. And on top of all of that, the skill was originally meant to be a "let me run away and kite" skill and not a "let me hold you 4 squares away and murder you slowly from the safety of this area outside the mob's hunting area' skill.

As far as 'effecting your sp', there is a new archery attack that negates that fear entirely. Meant to be a less accurate/damaging, speedy attack, Quick Shot is meant to be a replacement in a 'distance training rotation', and should prove very valuable to anyone who trains at 'min gains'. Please read the Minor Changes thread for more info about it.
                        Game Master Tale
                        Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Thankyou Tale, Ill let you know how my testing goes.

Can you code stance changing moves and parting moves into the skillsets that dont have them now? Whips parting slash and Stepping scourge would be great

Comment

Suggestion for quick shot ------ > Have quick shot round time be the same as a regular shot, but have it load an arrow then fire with one action ( instead of quick load --> quick shot ). This would add the versatility I believe you are looking for.

Comment

Kudos, Tale, kudos.
                              [color=dark yellow]Verbal Crushings[/color]
                              &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;[color=dark yellow]Now Serving #[/color][color=royal blue]7[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post
                                Thankyou Tale, Ill let you know how my testing goes.

Can you code stance changing moves and parting moves into the skillsets that dont have them now? Whips parting slash and Stepping scourge would be great
                                And have 2HAX parting chop also move you one step more defensive while you're at it. Perhaps we should move this to the christmas thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X