Increase Spawn Rate = Encourage Group Hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tale View Post

It's being seriously looked into at the moment and possibly updates are being explored on the dev server. But since that system handles over 200 areas every 'tick', the progress is slow as it is exceedingly difficult and time-consuming to double-check everything to make sure nothing wonky happens for each change made as we test what works and what doesn't, and out of the things that work, what works best and doesn't add to system strain.
    This is what i was referring to with the changes that are probably needed, hopefully it opens up opportunities for the GMs.

Could we all just choose to ignore people trying to detail this thread, if we keep focused on exploring the problem we might actually get some gems of solutions

Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Entered BHC with a group of three. At first, we were unable to tell whether BHC had its spawn increased to correspond to # of PCs hunting within the caverns. For the first 10-15 minutes, spawn seemed slow. Our companion claimed no previous hunting experience in BHC, but nevertheless crit, stun and killed things quickly, contributing to keeping mob deaths all within 30 seconds or so, and commented BHC seemed "pretty easy." It seemed business as usual, with enough downtime to chatter and wonder where spawn was hiding.

During the last half, however, we were swarmed constantly - presumably this is because BHC is large and twisty, and the increased spawn groups just took a little longer to find us. With many mobs on us, we weren't able to "crowd control" and kill as quickly, leaving many un-stunned/swept mobs to do damage on us. Soon, our hunting companion's response was "er, okay, now it's hard."

BHC is a difficult place to leave, with the guards, hounds that split groups and break guards, etc. The increased spawn has made it more-so. Even more than before, I would recommend folks only enter BHC fully prepared, with solid group members that pull their weight (P.S., you did well), and an exit plan.

Was fun, I'm pleased this has revived the "this place is dangerous," feel of certain hunting grounds.

Comment

Only concern I'd have is, is Franlius Docks now impossible to hunt in solo? Seeing as you're literally kicked out of all the other areas after a certain number of ranks, if I can't solo in the area, then I'll never be able to hunt in Franlius. This was already true for BHC, but BHC doesn't have a major item mall with reforge tickets, squamatas, faceplates, etc. I'll try to go up there soon to test for myself but having a feeling it's going to be painfully obvious that hunting alone up there simply isn't doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
          Entered BHC with a group of three. At first, we were unable to tell whether BHC had its spawn increased to correspond to # of PCs hunting within the caverns. For the first 10-15 minutes, spawn seemed slow. Our companion claimed no previous hunting experience in BHC, but nevertheless crit, stun and killed things quickly, contributing to keeping mob deaths all within 30 seconds or so, and commented BHC seemed "pretty easy." It seemed business as usual, with enough downtime to chatter and wonder where spawn was hiding.

During the last half, however, we were swarmed constantly - presumably this is because BHC is large and twisty, and the increased spawn groups just took a little longer to find us. With many mobs on us, we weren't able to "crowd control" and kill as quickly, leaving many un-stunned/swept mobs to do damage on us. Soon, our hunting companion's response was "er, okay, now it's hard."

BHC is a difficult place to leave, with the guards, hounds that split groups and break guards, etc. The increased spawn has made it more-so. Even more than before, I would recommend folks only enter BHC fully prepared, with solid group members that pull their weight (P.S., you did well), and an exit plan.

Was fun, I'm pleased this has revived the "this place is dangerous," feel of certain hunting grounds.
          It could have been a case of the current spawns not immediately calling for backup, but later spawns hitting that lucky trigger more often causing a disparity in spawn rates. I will be looking into BHC balance a bit more, as with all hunting areas to adjust how often each 'tick' happens and each area's maximum critter-limit to be sure there are no unreasonable hordes being kicked out. The BHC may also go through a minor redesign in terms of layout, depending on if a better "strategic exit" solution can be found. Now that Franlius has taken the 'hot spot' for top-tier hunting, I'm thinking the BHC is due for a bit of pizazz anyway.

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
          Only concern I'd have is, is Franlius Docks now impossible to hunt in solo?
          The name of the thread is "Increase Spawn Rate = Encourage Group Hunting" If you browse any and all of the Franlius release notes, you'll see it was built as a 'group-only' hunting area. It was never meant to be easy to 'solo'. The fancy item mall is the 'extra' reward for going to the trouble of grouping to hunt. We can't completely negate the possibility of soloing, as some builds/characters are just so min/maxed and/or have so many RPs sunk into them, that we can't fully balance both the 'average' player and the 'uber' player together for the lower areas. But the most difficult area has a little more leeway, as the skill gap between the average and the uber at that level of combat is considerably less.
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Are all sections of Fran group hunting or just the docks area? Like the sub sections, feel like they were ment for one or two people but the spawn when i was there was to much for me to be successful?>
            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

All of the Franlius areas are meant to be 'group' hunting areas. It just works out mechanically that the higher tiers generally require more group members and/or better tactics & preparation.
              Game Master Tale
              Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

When hunting alone, the spawn rate on the Docks does not seem to have increased significantly. Since increased the maximum number of mobs that can be active at once, (from like, 12-15 to 20-25+ or so? Rough guess), if you "don't keep up" with a quick rate of kills, you'll see more and more Cinerans until there's 20+ on top of you instead of 10-15 from before.

That said, I've seen both a melee-range and a long-range still individually able to "solo" the Docks.

However, I think crits seem to also have been tweaked, so I find myself "driven out" of the Docks more frequently by HP loss than fatigue loss. I think that's good, because it keeps the Docks from being an easy farm. Can't speak as to the other areas of Franlius at all, unfortunately.

Comment

I have noticed an increase in marines and uniforms which have made it significantly harder to solo the docks as well as the sheer number of npcs that spawn. I have been crippled ingame the last two attempts at soloing.

So far so good - LFG need tank in Franlius Think for me

These changes are all positive.

Tale - all modern games that have a combat theme are all about the min maxing, its just the way people think now. I will train for 100 hours just to gain a 1 rb advantage against my opponent. We put RPs into our stats because it is by far the biggest and quickest boost to our characters. You seem to indirectly blame the playerbase for things that we have had no involvement in designing. Yes we script, if we couldnt a majority of people who arent at our level already would quit and we would just stand around the bank waiting for black orb humanoids to attack us and only play on new cycle day.

I have been a paying customer to Skotos for the last however many years and have spent a significant amount of $ on my character. It feels like you guys dont want my money .

ArchMagi - please dont respond.

Comment

I agree, except for the scripting part, scripting is not required.

Comment

Did BHC with two - a Docks level and a NE level today - and it was rough. Spawn was too fast for us level of damage to keep up with. A higher damage pair of weapons would perhaps fare better. But since we played it safe, we managed to kill stuff in small batches, and gather a decent amount of lootz. We focused on the "dangerous" mobs first, and we exited to recover frequently so we wouldn't get trapped. Strangely, the exit guard seems to be missing at the moment - he was there two days ago. (Boggle.)

Tale, I don't think it needs nerfing, but I wanted to share our experience in case you were tweaking with the place.

Comment

I see this as a big step forward if it really works. Major Kudos to Tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
                          Only concern I'd have is, is Franlius Docks now impossible to hunt in solo? Seeing as you're literally kicked out of all the other areas after a certain number of ranks, if I can't solo in the area, then I'll never be able to hunt in Franlius. This was already true for BHC, but BHC doesn't have a major item mall with reforge tickets, squamatas, faceplates, etc. I'll try to go up there soon to test for myself but having a feeling it's going to be painfully obvious that hunting alone up there simply isn't doable.
                          Hope you'll forgive the tangent: squamatas? Can you get a squamata from the armband rewards?
                          Signature.

Comment

Originally posted by xiaozh View Post

Hope you'll forgive the tangent: squamatas? Can you get a squamata from the armband rewards?
                            Yes, around 1750 Tier I armbands, or 750 Docks if I remember correctly

Comment

There was a few nights in the alleys, that mobs were like... 18+ thugs and brutes.

It did encourage group hunting...

and even if there wasn't groups... it was endless slaughter and tons of fun, even solo.

Comment

Hi Tale/Pranzor/staff that worked on adjusting hunting areas to have spawn rate increase with number of player chars in it - thanks very much. I just want to offer some feedback, after months of trying to experience these places with characters of various combat ability. TLDR: I think Franlius and possibly BHC as well needs to be adjusted to spawn slightly less.

My experience:
                                Two Docks-level characters in BHC = ok, but rough. Too much spawn to loot at all. When we want to loot, we make a dedicated effort to do it at the end and have a bit of a tricky time leaving.
                                Three Docks-level characters + one NE-Fran level character in BHC = doable, but very rough, and the one NE-Fran level character seems to be a burden to us rather than a help. This is something I think we should avoid, as we we should encourage high level characters to want to spend time with characters less combat capable than they, right?

Approximately similar experience in the Franlius docks.

Places like the Traevant, the Oaks, RV seem like they could benefit from more spawn.

I love that the spawn increases for the # of peeps in it. But I think a slight tweak for less spawn would be great so that it's not an overwhelming spar anytime we want to bring a couple of less-experienced friends along.

Comment

Working...
                                X