Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Christmas Wish List, 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Wish List, 2017

Dear TEC Santa:

My 2017 wish list is as follows:

1. That the furniture shop begins stocking "an enormous oaken chest with bronze corners." This will be a massive container that hides in a room description, with the capacity of 2-3 wagons. It'll cost 25 talents. That way, people can actually use their inn rooms for living in, not just see a sea of loot on the floor all the time.

2. A Christmas promo to give away your RPs at a tax of 10%.

3. A sponsored contest to contribute to the TEC Wikidot, with the "top three contributors of the month" being awarded 500 Rps. Or, if #2 gets implemented, I'll give away RPs to host this.

4. At least minor updates and fixes to the TEC website. A link to the unofficial TEC Wiki would be nice. Googling "TEC Play Now" generates a top link that is useless. https://www.skotos.net/games/eternal-city/playnow.shtml

I would like more crafting skillsets. Weapons, armour and furniture!

Comment

Some type of storied event or two would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by VBaehr View Post
        Some type of storied event or two would be awesome.
        I'd love for those to be coupled with some sort of game-altering story arc. Examples:
        • The Cinerans change their tactics and start sending ships of soldiers to Blackvine, which becomes a war zone. Legio mobilizes the counter offense, while hunters/outdoors people scout to see how far the invasion has spread. BVG could re-resurrect and join in.
        • A little-traveled area of Iridine's harbor has a cave-in and collapses into the sewers. The Harbor Rats are worried this is some kind of attack on them, healers are worried about the return of the plague, problem reveals an infrastructure problem that needs player-funding to fix.
        • There's a flood in the coastal woods, washing away trees and changing the topography ... revealing a previously unknown ruin on the forest floor. Fighters are needed to explore the area, hunters/outdoors people to try to help rebuild, Nurturing Light comes to investigate the impact.
        • A building in Iridine is burned in a fire. Constables have to determine if this is a crime or an accident. Senate is investigating, giving patricians something to get involved with in terms of intrigue. Building is dangerous (cave-ins, falling ceilings), but can be explored by creative puzzle solvers (search for and then push a board to get into the next room).
        I realize all of these would require (some? much?) work but... this is a wish list, right?

Comment

What GM Tale Wants for Christmas:
          • Paid.

*eyeshift*
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Who doesn't want to get paid to do actual work?

Comment

I'd like the game to be better, so that it attracts more players. Then it might have funds. I think I'm done posting for the year, cos putting words into posts explaining problems with this game also takes IRL time and effort.

Comment

A "Once in a decade" level snowstorm:

Shiver outside unless by a fire draining fatigue slowly.

Locks being outside freeze and require you to bash them a few good times before unlocking them.

Fountains freeze

Snowball fights

Hardy barbarians from the high mountains decide to raid for food and supplies cause the hard winter.

Extra tailor turn in quests for wool blankets and clothing.

Turn in quests for woodsmen to bring in firewood or wild game cause ya know...it's cold and food is more scarce.

Make the entire month of Jan be "The Winter of 284-285" That everyone talks about for years and years.

Comment

Aw, you made me post again, and so soon, Matt. I love the Mega Winter idea. Ideas like that is why I made this thread.

Comment

Wish list Xmas 2017
                    Ice fishing event
                    Any of the Traevant story lines to continue (yeah i know im greedy for my group)
                    Something like hoplights to come back (cool gear, hard to fight, risk vs reward)
                    A decent sized event for all of types from role playing to combat to healers to tailors (an Iridine outpost needs clothes, healers, to fight off bad guy invaders, someone who strictly translates to organize different types of groups, working together, woodies for food/torches/fires)
                    Kered to get a catapult
                    The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

Long range killing blow
                      Tal​​​​​​e to get paid so he can create weaponsmithing
                      Mining
                      Gathering
                      Loggin​​​​​​g (As in tree logging for carpenters to use the wood)
                      Non com stat increases
                      A custom description for syden so hes not so ugly

Comment

For the love of Ereal, a bridge between hunting and tailoring so I can do something with the thousands of pelts and hides I've hoarded over the years.

Comment

Hmm...perhaps hunters could give pelts to someone in Stromheim for a small fee and wait a couple days (like having something mounted or stuffed) and it becomes leather "cloth" tailors can use to make clothes? Toss some dyes in there and maybe extra charge for modifers and you could make yer own Green supple deer leather. Different animals have different lengths. Like a bear could have two full lengths, and a rabbit could have a 1/4 of a length.

PS, I am not very tailoring saavy, so take size and basic mechanic assumptions with a grain of salt.

Comment

there's a tanner in rock valley, already in place, so could make that functional... but no customization, so it'd be the pattern of the hide or fur in question, with the ability to modify things with rps aka item alterations.

Comment

I like the idea of a story-arc that changes the fabric of TEC...

The Republic gets overthrown.
                              Monlon is Captured
                              A renaissance of sorts, no longer a single religion state.
                              something that changes what has been the status quo of TEC for all these years that will put people's characters into conflict
                              Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Working...
                              X