Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

Christmas Wish List, 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except you're forgetting that TEC isn't the real world, and in TEC, magic is real, the various religions are based on peoples assumption that they are real, and the fact that the sun god is actually real... and that all the religions conflict, making multiple religions working together a massive no. I know you want to play a heretic, but not get killed for it, but these are the risks you take when you go against the reality of the gameworld, to do something delusional. But hey, go for it, gives people someone to fight.

Comment

My only wish is for the gm's to work with the players.

Comment

The TEC website should have easy buttons to "Play now" and "Account", which you shouldn't have to hunt around for. Some pages seem to have two sidebars, some pages don't. https://www.skotos.net/games/eternal-city/playnow.phtml - this is one that shows up on many variations of googling TEC/Skotos, and needs a buncha clicking around to get to an account page.

Comment

http://www.skotos.net/games/eternal-city/
          Convenient sidebar on the left, with play now, forums, introduction, create trial account, skotos home, other games, game articles, player help, and tms vote now button...

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
            https://www.skotos.net/games/eternal-city/playnow.phtml - this is one that shows up on many variations of googling TEC/Skotos, and needs a buncha clicking around to get to an account page.
            ArchMagi I am unsure on why you seem hellbent on being antagonizing and just generally unhelpful. I agree with Elowynn, the website could REALLY use some love. It's the first impression of the game.

I would also suggest removing the events from the web site, sometimes it never updates or has no events. This can reflect badly on the game, content that needs updating or contribution for web sites can be difficult to maintain and can make the site look unloved and unattended too which can create opinions in the minds of a would be player that the game is dead.
            Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

I'm not being antagonizing, or unhelpful, that website I listed has everything that was asked for, and the sidebar sticks around almost 100% of the time, giving everything that was asked for, in an easy to find place. It's what I use all the time, and as such, thought I was being helpful by saying that's what you want? here it is!

Comment

Staves and Knives feel like the only complete weapons at this point, my wish is for better balance across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by The_thief View Post
                  Staves and Knives feel like the only complete weapons at this point, my wish is for better balance across the board.
                  Agreed. Take a look at clubs. Fairly balanced weapon with a couple of stuns and a knockdown move. Yet you can be 10x GM in the weapon and in CMs and 3x GM in shields, and get caught by every single weapon trap. Giant holes that have been made larger by other weapon buffs.

Comment

Originally posted by TsunamiJack View Post

Agreed. Take a look at clubs. Fairly balanced weapon with a couple of stuns and a knockdown move. Yet you can be 10x GM in the weapon and in CMs and 3x GM in shields, and get caught by every single weapon trap. Giant holes that have been made larger by other weapon buffs.
                    The same could be said about any weapon. Weapon traps are virtually unavoidable other than Knives being able to dirk balance out of Axe 'Hooks'. That's the problem with this game, normal attacks virtually have no chance of landing. But, ones like ankletrap bypass virtually every defense in the game (but leg/jump whichever is better) and can win a fight by itself.

I'm aware that clubs have no quillion blocks, just explaining even the people with quillion blocks don't do any better against weapon style traps typically. Other than pushaside, but since clubs have crossblock from shields pushaside still isn't landing.

Comment

Something has recently changed with ankletrap where the opponent can stand before my roundtime is ready again so ankletrap and whips are useless again.

Comment

It is certainly frustrating to discover changes to weapon abilities on our own and without any type of announcement, It would be great if the process could be one of saving changes to be released all at once every x months, once a quarter even. Taking advantage of the beta room's to test, collect data and adjust is common practice across all types of games. Why I don't have the privilege of the inner workings of the TEC protocols and procedures, I wonder what type of data is being used to support these changes.

Also allowing us to copy our characters to the beta server would be great also.
                        Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post
                          It is certainly frustrating to discover changes to weapon abilities on our own and without any type of announcement, It would be great if the process could be one of saving changes to be released all at once every x months, once a quarter even.
                          Yup. And double yup to what Ciaran said. We all look for a way to get an edge over someone in PVP. That's why when staves got a buff or whips, people gravitated to that. But I think, given the small playerbase, most would be happy if there was just some balance. Every skillset will have a weakness but glaring holes or one weapon getting a monster buff just seems to frustrate everyone. Some players are getting 1K or more in their basics, which if you really think about it, is insane. It's a minimal edge but it's at least something everyone can grind if they really want to.

Comment

A forum mute button.

Comment

I posted this in a "vote" thread as well, but perhaps here is also appropriate: suggesting an update to TEC's Top Mud blurb, or perhaps on TEC's website or a stickied form post? http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...50#post1738250

Comment

Working...
                              X