Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"you lift a pouch without drawing any attention to yourself"

You walk into the next pace..

Player constable comes moving from the west, and steps into the pace you were just in; among a THICK CROWD.....

He happens to see the guy whose pouch i just lifted... (1 out of 100 chance if there's a room of 100)

And some how knows, he was wearing a pouch that day?

And then, comes a pace more my direction

and accuses me of stealing.... of a hundred people in a room...

This guys pouch.......

That he never saw me bother, and the guy himself didn't even know, nobody in the room knew...

He comes into the room, after I already left...

and some how knows?

when he wasn't even in there to see it....

and he can see in a thick crowd, this man's belt line.... to check to see if he's wearing a pouch that day?

and just assumes if he isn't that it must've been stolen?

Maybe he left his pouch at home today.

It's really OOC based info, that constables or players are using to catch thieves, based off broken mechanics, that are not in favor of real roleplay.

"Drew no attention to yourself"

The fact this "Patrician" is pulled out of the crowd for your character, is ooc...
    He was merely selected by my character. He shouldn't even be visible to you, unless you like, search for patrician, then you would have to search every patrician, to make sure they have pouches, and if there's 5 or 6 patricians in a room...

You would maybe find one who is missing theres after a careful examination, and inquiry.

Comment

Lets play pretend for a minute...
      The crowd you pulled the patrician out of... lets pretend that they're all moving around, walking from place to place, which is why they don't really stand out...
      Then you pull a patrician from the crowd, because that's what you do when you look for a patrician, you pull them aside.
      now that patrician is not walking around, sticking out like a sore thumb from the rest of the crowd.... so people notice the lone patrician just standing off to the side.

now, lets go back to your example, of cut and lift.
      You did not mention how you approached, or how you retreated.
      All you mentioned was that you succeeded in not calling attention to the fact that you just robbed the guy.
      It's plausible to assume that said patrician noticed you approaching him, due to any number of reasons, one being he couldn't keep walking away, as you interdicted him...
      Even skipping that, you didn't slice the pouch and fade away, you sliced the pouch without being noticed slicing the pouch, so maybe he noticed when you retreated, and walked away, then, noticing he was approached, then some guy retreating from him, he checks his stuff and is like holy crap, batman, I'm missing my pouch.

Now along comes mister pc constable, sees an npc out of the crowd, notices he's missing his pouch (lets pretend that the patrician told him, because all npcs dress similarly, so, leeway for the gms not emulating every npc you pull out) and then sees you, a known thief, nearby.

In this game, you gotta prove you're not guilty, not the other way around, the constable currently has enough to go on to arrest a known thief for stealing, it's up to you to prove you had nothing to do with it, despite evidence saying you did.

Comment

I really shouldn't have to say more than....

it says "without anyone noticing" and "without drawing any attention to yourself."

I think we should roleplay based on that information....

and not be ooc about the fact you can see (by mechanical error) a patrician that I had selected among a crowd to do work on...

there could be like a 10% chance (being extremely generous, in RL there's like 0% chance) of an entire thick crowd, you take notice of the same guy who i just robbed after you come in the pace I just left...

but 100% chance that of the entire thick crowd passing by... you see the patrician I just stole from every single time...

It's mechanical error, unrealistic, and ooc.

Comment

My advice, so you might enjoy the game more, is to not try to convince others how they're playing the game wrong, but to figure out how to play with the existing mechanics to become a successful thief. I won't and can't stop you from banging your head against the wall though.

There's areas in the game where there are no NPC constables. There are areas where PC's rarely visit. There are areas and times where and when both are true.
          Signature.

Comment

Welcome to TEC.

Comment

I don't want to hear any whines or complaints from you players about "Roleplaying" or "RL"

anymore.

You have lost your rights, by ignoring this issue.

Comment

Yezrah7, you're missing the point, you got away with being noticed taking the pouch, not interdicting the patrician, as people generally notice when they can't keep walking, because you've engaged them, nor did you get away without being noticed leaving... so, said patrician, if this was real life, would be like... wait a second... that guy just robbed me! And actually tell the constable, but since npcs require emulation to do that, and since the gms don't emulate every npc you pull out of a crowd to rob, certain mechanical limitations are in place so that it's easy to tell if someone was robbed. as an npc anyway. PC's can just notice, and report for themselves.

Comment

If you admit, it's OOC, and Unrealistic.... (but you really dont care about PP skillset, because it doesn't effect you...) Then that would make me more happy to hear... at least your honest.

But, that a constable could walk into a room with a thick crowd, like at a party, or festival....

and of the entire crowd... and many patricians enjoying the festivities...

100% of the time that he walks into a room... this constable can know who has been stolen from, automatically.....

No real life constable, would walk into a crowd.... and 100% of the time, know automatically who has had their items stole (who they themselves [the victim] haven't even noticed yet)

So, i'm not even being rude Syden.. Felisin said nobody cares...

I said, since nobody cares about RL and OOC complaints....

Next time you want to complain yourself.... slap yourself... because you're a huge role-playing hypocrite, to complain using phrases about "RL" and "OOC" when you don't apply that rule across the board.

You only want to apply it when it appeals to you, but not when it doesn't effect you.

Comment

One the one hand, I can see where you're coming from. On the other, unless you're in 'that' set of skills, the approach and retreat are pretty obvious.
                    If you've been arrested before, especially for theft, a constable is likely to grab you. Innocent or not.
                    Flamboyant

Comment

A successful, street approach, unseen lift, and fade..... walking into the next room...

it is Impossible, of the entire crowd.... that the constable, even if he does see that a patrician is missing a pouch..

Can come into the next pace, and pick me out of the entire thick crowd, and know i'm the man who did it...

when I have already discarded that mans pouch who I stole (while the constable wasn't in the room when I did it...) and have no way to be linked to the crime.

How the hell of an entire thick crowd, can you see the patrician, and the thief.... (when you weren't in the room when it happened)

You walk into a pace, and see a guy missing a pouch of an entire thick crowd.
                      You walk into the next pace, and pick 1 guy out of an entire thick crowd and with 100% accuracy you found the thief, without searching everyone in the crowd... you search this 1 guy, with 100% knowledge he did it, only because of the oocness of the mechanics.

If you see a player char, in a thick crowd... you automatically know he did it, but that's ooc... there's lots of people in that crowd to search and inquire about what they're doing there....

and if the thief doesn't have the patrician's pouch that he just stole... and has more or less money than the patrician had stolen from him.... there's no possible way to know he did it.

Comment

Here's my final say on the issue. Then I will stop commenting on this thread (except to reply to anyone who has something to say to me) but i'm dropping the issue...

because, I really dont care.

I can go play somewhere else, and do something else in game...

But, i just want everyone to be aware, the only reason I have the need to go do something else, somewhere else...

is because of OOC Mechanics, and unrealistic constables and players.

But, anyone who doesn't agree with this thread.... is banned from using "RL" or "Unrealistic" arguments in their posts anymore.

You have to apply that rule across the board, and not only when it is fitting to you.

I dont care if you leave pickpocketing a crappy skill set.

Leave it a crappy skill set.

let the game be a piece of crap on this area...

what do I care?

I can go play another game if i want to...

I'm just saying, it's ooc and unrealistic, what's happening in game.... spotting a patrician in a thick crowd, knowing he's missing his pouch, then spotting the thief a pace away, of an entire thick crowd, and knowing he did it... with 100% accuracy; every time that you see a patrician missing a pouch, and a player in a room...

In RL it would take, inquiring the entire crowd and searching them all... to find any evidence on who did it...

But, please shut up anyone who doesn't care about this issue, next time you want to say something about something being OOC, or Unrealistic....

you're unable to do that. you lost your privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by xiaozh View Post
                          My advice, so you might enjoy the game more, is to not try to convince others how they're playing the game wrong, but to figure out how to play with the existing mechanics to become a successful thief. I won't and can't stop you from banging your head against the wall though.

There's areas in the game where there are no NPC constables. There are areas where PC's rarely visit. There are areas and times where and when both are true.
                          Yes.. I know how to avoid broken mechanics, (to stop playing in a certain area, and stop doing a certain action) just fine.... to be a "successful" or "unknown" thief.

But, I am just pointing out....

I only have to play somewhere else, and do something else, because of OOCness, and broken mechanics...

Not because I'm not a good thief. But because of broken mechanics for thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by yezrah7 View Post
                            I don't want to hear any whines or complaints from you players about "Roleplaying" or "RL"

anymore.

You have lost your rights, by ignoring this issue.
                            This has been discussed for the last 18 years by the playerbase with nothing changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Telvanni Guard View Post
                              One the one hand, I can see where you're coming from. On the other, unless you're in 'that' set of skills, the approach and retreat are pretty obvious.
                              If you've been arrested before, especially for theft, a constable is likely to grab you. Innocent or not.
                              I agree with the idea that if you've been arrested before, (a constable has reason to suspect you took the missing pouch) but that argument doesn't work... if you were only arrested the first time, based on oocness and unrealistic, broken mechanics...

see?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                                Yezrah7, you're missing the point, you got away with being noticed taking the pouch, not interdicting the patrician, as people generally notice when they can't keep walking, because you've engaged them, nor did you get away without being noticed leaving... so, said patrician, if this was real life, would be like... wait a second... that guy just robbed me! And actually tell the constable, but since npcs require emulation to do that, and since the gms don't emulate every npc you pull out of a crowd to rob, certain mechanical limitations are in place so that it's easy to tell if someone was robbed. as an npc anyway. PC's can just notice, and report for themselves.
                                I disagree.

I lifted a pouch without drawing attention to myself. There is a thick crowd.
                                I walk away to another pace, or out of sight of the patrician.

There's no way he could see me in the distance leaving his line of sight... (into the next pace)

and notice his pouch missing, then say..

HEY... -That guy- stole my pouch.

when there's hundreds of people around him.

Comment

Working...
                                X