Most Effective Way to Train a New Character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Effective Way to Train a New Character

I'm just going to ask this since I can't seem to find a decent answer on the forums. Additionally, it takes forever and a day to get to the point where I can enjoy some of my favorite hunting areas again and I want to maximize training efficiency to get there. So with that being said:

1. What should I focus on in the Ludus before being kicked out? (Spears, CM, Shield)
    2. Once out, what should my primary focus be for human oriented NPCs?
    3. Is there a recommended increment to training? Meaning, All skills to up by increments of 10, or take basics to GM and then one skills at a time to GM?
    Nothing much to say.

http://eternal-city.wikidot.com/hunting-grounds
    This is actually a decent guide. After the Ludus, you can hit the alleys at night, vale, dumps? maybe start to handle tree house or bandit complex.
    I like to get my basic to 50, most my moves to 10, then basic 100, subs to 30 then 50 then take favorite attacks/dodges to 100, also factor in reflexes, grip etc., try and keep offense and defense about even as I level, depending on what hunting grounds I want to go to. If you want to fight more humanoid's you benefit from offense, but if you like fighting creatures, defense often prevails.
    This is simply speculation and preference, I am sure that some members of the community have done an absurd amount of number crunching.

Comment

I'm only going to answer on the first one.
      The ludus is meant to give new players an advantage in being useful, and as such, Train evenly, keeping offense and defense equal in number of ranks, not number of rank bonus.... ie for the first area, 125 offensive ranks, 125 defensive ranks. Skip things like stat skills, and get them after the ludus, and train evenly, that way, when you get out, you're able to branch off and become whatever you want, while still being effective. I do not recommend training your basics higher than your subs, in the ludus, due to how it works.

Comment

You get the most rank bonus for your SP, by training 10/10/10/10, then 20/20/20/20, better than 100/1/1/1/1/1/1/ or w/e.

also you get to stay on certain hunting grounds longer training like that, so generally it's the best option.

Comment

I've discovered it's extremely freeing, and peaceful, to entirely ignore posts from certain posters. Glorious!

That said, Roast, my take on some of your questions is:

2) During the acquisition of your first ~250 SP/week SP cycle, humanoid NPCs give higher SP per hit than animal NPCs. Higher ranked humanoid NPCs give more SP. Certain areas in the gameworld have a minor bonus on top of that, due to the difficulty. I wouldn't say your "primary focus *should* be for human oriented NPCs," but what I said in the previous sentence is why combatants seeking SP seek human NPCs during the first few days. Once or if you reach "min gains" (0.025 SP/combat attack), then there is no humanoid-bonus or difficulty-bonus or area-bonus to be had for combat.

If you simply can't hit humanoid NPCs during the first 250/cycle, or they damage you so severely that training against them is inefficient, then don't seek those out. All of these SP bonuses aren't so enormous that training against animal NPCs is shot.

Training entirely on Signaltower Island for a while, for example, is fine - easy, safe, steady spawn.

There is a rank limit on Signaltower as well. At some point, you will damage the critter so severely in one hit that it's useless to train on Signaltower.

3) The rank bonus from your basics ranks is not very good, compared to evenly raising subs along with your basics.

For the Ludus, having good Stats, which are not counted towards your Total Rank Count, gives you a nice leg up.

Having a shield at all will absorb damage, even if you are very bad at it. A wall shield has the highest absorption.

Comment

In the ludus i have kept my easy abilites at rank 10 and took the average ones to 20. I learnt the most useful weapon blocks, some weapon blocks can be niche and best learnt later.

I took each dodge to 10, when I got into the second area of the ludus I was 80 in the weapon basic and 20 in two average moves and one average block. 45 Basic CMs and 10 in the dodges.
            Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Yea my suggestion of 10/10/10 , 20/20/20 is if you're going to be fighting island, and sewers.....

I do that to avoid being kicked off too early.... because when I was 40/40/40 in the sewers, and got reflexes to 90, everything began dying one hit, and you get the most rank bonus for your sp going that way.

However, if you want to fight the Ludus, then I suggest getting all the armor you can possibly wear, to cover every part of your body that your weight allowance can allow....

If you have great strength and about 80lbs of armor... You can fight in there berserk without ever losing so much HP that it drains fatigue... I did it quite well.

Also, if you really want to make life easy.... quit for a month and come back, then only get 300 sp per cycle from now on.
              Last edited by yezrah7; 01-31-2018, 12:12 AM.

Comment

thanks to Arch magi telling me it was 100% 50% 33% for layering... I use the RB calculator on TEC WIKI and did the math...

If you do, 100/100/100/100 in acms and leave sword blocks 1/1/1/1/1/ you get less RB total than if you did 50/50/50/50 acms and sword blocks 40/40/40/40 by about 10 RB, and 10 RB is equal to going from 200/200/200 acms to 400/400/400 acms.... so that's a lot of difference.

You'd have more RB doing 50/50/50 cms 40/40/40 sword blocks, than 100/100/100/100 acms, 1/1/1/1 swordblocks.

*If your weapon is lacking one place, like knives with no low.... put extra sp into shield low block, or leg/jump.... whereas you would have put it into 40 ranks in knife low block. Something like that, to keep equal defenses.

and regarding diffiult and impossible moves... you get way more rank bonus by going 10/10/10/10 than 100/1/1/1/1/1
                1-10 3
                11-30 2
                31-50 1
                51-100 0.5
                101-150 0.25
                151-200 0.125
                201-500 0.0675
                501-1000 0.025
                1001 and Up 0.01
                Rank Bonus added to SubSkill Rank Bonus by Basics Ranks
                Easy 0.75
                Average 0.5
                Difficult 0.25
                Impossible 0.1
                The reason easy moves have so much more RB than impossible moves at the same rank, is due to the basics ranks adding more RB... but both easy and impossible moves get 3 RB per rank 1-10; so you can either get 0.1 rb per rank from taking basics to 100, or go 10 in an impossible move, to get 30RB.

Oh, but if you want to go to better hunting grounds, then maybe go, 50/50/50/50 attacks, before following the defensive layering formula....

Now, based on the logic that 2nd layer = 50% RB.... 1-10 = 3, 11-31=2 31-50=1

So, 1.5 is 50% of 3RB per rank; which doesn't occur until after rank 31-50.

So, take 1st layer of defenses to 31, then second layer to 10, and 3rd layer to 1

Then 1st layer to 51, 2nd layer to 31, and 3rd layer to 10.

then, 1st layer to 151, 2nd layer to 51, and 3rd layer to 10.

then, 1st layer to 201, 2nd layer to 101, and 3rd layer to 51.

then, 1st layer to 501, 2nd layer to 201, 3rd layer to 101.

then, 1st layer to 1001, 2nd layer to 501, 3rd layer to 201

then, 1st layer stay 1001, 2nd layer stay 501 , 3rd layer 501

then 3rd layer forever stay 501 because it never gives .01 RB, after 501 3rd layer it only gives .008.

So, you would go.. 1st layer to 1001, 2nd layer 1001, 3rd layer 501....

then after 1000 in 2nd layer, you never do anymore in 2nd layer... because you'll only get .05

So, do 500000000000 1st layer, 1000 2nd layer 501 3rd layer.

Basically the algorithm i'm trying follow is that, every 3 times the RB drops on the chart; it's 33.33% of the earlier 2... like, 3, 2, 1.

So, you want to raise your 3rd layer, every 3 steps on that chart, and your 2nd layer every 2 steps on that char, and your first layer every step on that chart.

But due to the cap of 1000 the 3rd layer eventually almost catches up, and steps twice, before it hits is cap.

See what i'm saying?

That's how to get maximum rank bonus.

So, if you can only get as Archmagi said, 125 offensive ranks and 125 defensive ranks... Choose your layering according to this algorithm to get maximum RB with those 125 defensive ranks.

Or, you could just so gloriously ignore me. Which is fine...

My math chart appears kind of jacked up because, sometimes I chose the bottom end of a step, and on others chose the top end of the step...In mathematical truth it would make more sense to choose the exact middle of each step, to take steps, to keep the most equal layered defense. So when you climb the RB ladder, you're choosing the most equilateral distance.

Rather than going... bottom end 201, top end 1001, going.... 333, 666. stuff like that.

I've been awke for like 48 hours with mad insomnia... I might look at this math tomorrow and be like.. what the ????
                Last edited by yezrah7; 02-01-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

you didn't understand.

Comment

Im not sure how to explain this and I am certain someone else will do a better job and fill in the gaps.. howevever..

CMs wont block every attack,

For example if i have a RB of 10 with and easy ability and that ability is blocked by an average CM that has a RB of 7, then I wont block or dodge the attack (or the success will be higher or something).

However if that easy attack is blocked by a shield block that is easy and I have 10 RB in it, then that block will catch the attack and I will be able to defend myself.

Once again, someone that can bring more clarity is welcome! I could be wrong but this is my basic understanding of how it functions.

Don't forget that aiming attacks will also trigger different possible blocks and dodges.

For example Felisin with is stave can block gladiators for days with no problems, however when I transition to my axe I have a much harder time.. My CM's have not changed but my weapon blocks have, thus making me an easier target.
                    Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post
                      Im not sure how to explain this and I am certain someone else will do a better job and fill in the gaps.. howevever..

CMs wont block every attack,

For example if i have a RB of 10 with and easy ability and that ability is blocked by an average CM that has a RB of 7, then I wont block or dodge the attack (or the success will be higher or something).

However if that easy attack is blocked by a shield block that is easy and I have 10 RB in it, then that block will catch the attack and I will be able to defend myself.

Once again, someone that can bring more clarity is welcome! I could be wrong but this is my basic understanding of how it functions.

Don't forget that aiming attacks will also trigger different possible blocks and dodges.

For example Felisin with is stave can block gladiators for days with no problems, however when I transition to my axe I have a much harder time.. My CM's have not changed but my weapon blocks have, thus making me an easier target.
                      If that's the case... which I'm certain is true... that, some things wont block others... then it's probably stupid to follow the guide of taking your 2nd layer up by 50% rate... idea...

because you'll have holes....

So, then back to my original post i said in the beginning... go 10/10/10/10, 20/20/20/20, 30/30/30/30 and train like that, on all layers. Just so you have less holes.
                      Uness you want to go to TEC Wiki, read about blocks and dodges, and train the skills that cover all holes only; high, and the 2nd layer of those same spots, 50% rate and 3rd layers of those spots, 33% rate of ranks.

But i can't write no guide on that... i got lots of freetime, but not for that.

Which is when... pard/acms/swords/shields becomes so retarded... and avros too.... because you're 1 slot attacks, 1 slot cms, 1 slot sword blocks 1 slot shields.... so annoying..

I wish when you picked a style since you can't use another style while in that style.... it would just put all your sword blocks in that style's slot, along with the prerequisites of that style's from OHS into your style slot under style heading....

Like...

Skills/Actions Rank Rank Bonus Skill Points
                      ----------------------- ----------------------- ---------- ------------
                      Nelsor Gladius Combat

Sword Slash
                      Sword Chop
                      Sword Simple Block
                      Sword Cross Block
                      Sword Overhead Block
                      Sword Round Block
                      Sword Low Block
                      Sword Base Block
                      Nelsor Tiger Stance
                      Reverse Sky Arch
                      Arch of the Sky
                      Kicking Slash
                      Tiger Slash
                      Leaping Cross Strike
                      Kicking Leap Strike

So when you learn, Nelsor, all ohs moves automatically are trained in it's slot.

and all cost 1st slot SP.... then 2nd slot acms, 3rd slot shields.

However, if shields didn't keep you from swapping between styles,, Then i would keep swords it's own slot, and let you learn whatever moves from whichever styles you wanted... and be like... Extended armspin! Needlestrike with Stab and Twist!

When i came back to TEC playing Prudentiae, I had planned to do Avros Pard, because of fantasizing about, needlestrike with stab and twist.... and found out i couldn't do it. So... then....

I had a stupid build that sounded good.... Cineran blademastery, hand of fate.. Stab and twist, using only these moves...

Lunge, Stab, Shadowthrust, Jab, Hidden Thrust, Shield Edgebash.

Swords/acms/shields/pard.

easy to train hidden thrust 4th slot....

And so, my blademastery would kick butt with stab and twist effecting lunge.... so much better than that shield bash move...

and all the stab and twist damage, bonus to those moves, i'd be hitting like a two handed axer.

and only training those 5 moves, with defenses the max.

But... found out it was lame, so deleted him... and the crits were so annoyingly predictable and monotonous.

The staggers in agony one was cool, but i got sick of it.

Comment

Lol, sorry Felisin I know you can't read that crap.... I'm just delusionally awake right now..... with insomnia. I really wanted to take your advice and speak coherently.... i'm trying....

Comment

and, I dunno but I always thought, ACMs have no holes, it was only weapon blocks.

but i'm not saying felisin is wrong, i honestly dont know, i just always thought acms cover everything.

Comment

CMs do not block everything. Weapon disarms/traps/pushbacks for example, are not blocked by CMs. Think bite, clasp, wrist slash, also aren't blocked by CMs, and so on.

Comment

Take for example OHS Jab Low an 'easy' ability, so aimed low ie 'jab fel low'

Now for CM's Leg Dodge which is average would dodge the attack if I know it well enough. However Leg Dodge is average difficulty.

Now if I also know Staves Simple Block at the same rank as Leg Dodge and the same rank as Elowynn's Jab.. then Simple Block with a higher RB than Leg Dodge and equal RB to Jab will be the preferred block for the attack.

Does this make sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X