Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

Idea for combat balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for combat balance

I think a good way to balance combat across the board would be to provide all weapons with attacks that increase and decrease stances. As is stands now only staves and spears have moves that can increase and decrease your stance. This provides these weapons with an increased versatility that other weapons are definitely lacking, and I think it would go a long way into bringing all the weapons on an even playing field.

Send a @request in for it.

Comment

actually, the correct one would be @feedback

Comment

you missed swords
        Bring it on you lovers of flame it turns my crank.

Slave to RP.

We believe in euthanasia here in TEC. We'll kill you any time, just ask.-Tale

Comment

Looking for input or feed back from other players.

Comment

OK I'll bite.

Pard has one that throws you in berserk, 1hax and 2hax have a stepping attack and tridents have a defensive catch.

I think global balance would be unrealistic and undesirable, I think the rock-paper-scissors paradigm is the best way to go and was intended from the start. If this were the case, every weapon would have some good match-ups and some bad ones. I don't really know much about what's going on in the meta at the moment because I don't participate in much PVP, but from what I've read, staves are the current flavor of the year. I've fought along-side with some stavers and have seen what they can do in a PVE setting. Let's just say the grass looks greener on the other side. Getting to a place where every weapon has some nice strengths and weaknesses would be a good start. Some are closer to this purpose than others.

My swordsman uses Avros, which is a fairly slow skillset. Many attacks are also silly gambits that leave openings, making them extremely dangerous against intelligent AI and would be a significant disadvantage in PVP. OHS has great defense with a shield, but unfortunately Avros and Nelsor are designed to work against that strength. OHS crit quality is among the worst in the game, Avros and Nelsor attacks however, seem to do well enough. No idea about Pard, but I'm assuming it's good? I think a stepping move would be helpful for OHS, Avros and Nelsor, though it definitely wouldn't be my first choice for improvements. Pretty much any quality of life improvements would be appreciated.

My spearsman hits hard, has parting attacks and takes full advantage of stepping stab and parting slash. Spears has a long-range only feint (really annoying), sweep is difficult and is countered by rolling rise or can sometimes be stood out of. This is a good thing though, because impale paired with a guaranteed sweep would be overpowered. The skillset is a good example of balancing strengths and weaknesses. Using a spear two-handed sacrifices some defense for a stronger offense, with a good mix of attacks. It feels pretty balanced imo. It suffers some penalties when at close range but performs well at a distance.

I don't know that giving every weapon a way to change stances would be the best way to make a difference. My preference would be to work on balance the hard way, slowly improving weaker weapons and adjusting their strengths and weaknesses so they all feel like they have a place in combat.

Comment

Originally posted by The_thief View Post
              Looking for input or feed back from other players.
              I think you should just give up on the topic. Top tier pvp/ranks characters have been complaining for awhile about the current state of some skillsets. The realization is nothing is going to be done or added unless something is caught being abused. I'm still waiting for people to stop going aww, such awesome crits for Knives and realize I have zero accuracy outside of chop.

That's just my input though, not trying to be a negative nancy but you really are fighting a losing battle. The only one who was willing to make actual changes was Japes and all he did was leave the game in more chaos because he left before finishing them. Maybe that's what they're afraid of, touching combat and making the chaos even worse than it is now.

One does always tend to pick comfort over improvement.

If they were going to leave skillsets with weaker offense that way, it would be nice if they removed the penalty for aiming toward specific sections of the body to open up more ability to counterplay dodges/weapon blocks without losing -20+ offense. No point of having a -20 penalty for aiming somewhere other than default in my opinion anyway. Unless they're trying to chop you in a specific body part such as neck, then that deserves a penalty.

Comment

^ That.

However, it looks like the GMs have been making efforts towards changes that encourages involvement, turnover and character development lately. Here's to hoping for more good things.

Comment

As someone who has been in the game forever, there will always be unbalance, combat upper tier isnt supposed to be balanced its supposed to be a group effort (see fran) pvp is a whole nother horse and buggy. Play the game with the weapon you want, regardless of what weapon there is always someone who is gonna have 9088979789 ranks and will beat you so just have fun out there.
                  P.S
                  Fish still hurt throwing them at people
                  The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
                    there is always someone who is gonna have 9088979789 ranks and will beat you

How many people in this category has knocked someone out and looted them recently? I don't understand why people are worried about those with huge ranks if those people sit in there RP lane and dont for the sake of it just go around knocking people out..
                    Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran View Post

I think you should just give up on the topic. Top tier pvp/ranks characters have been complaining for awhile about the current state of some skillsets. The realization is nothing is going to be done or added unless something is caught being abused. I'm still waiting for people to stop going aww, such awesome crits for Knives and realize I have zero accuracy outside of chop.
                      Summed it up perfectly.

Although I had a little hope when I saw them doing minor combat changes, I've accepted that combat mechanic fixes and balances on a grand scale aren't coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post

How many people in this category has knocked someone out and looted them recently? I don't understand why people are worried about those with huge ranks if those people sit in there RP lane and dont for the sake of it just go around knocking people out..
                        I should reword how I wrote that so it sounds more correct, people put to much into this weapon is better than that weapon, I play OHS it used to be best ever with multi-ability to swap stances, then the weapon of the month would switch every couple months to what is the best, just play what you want even if its cestus, and enjoy. I remember when knives that that faceslash unblockable and the forums blew up about this weapon is op, then staves with triplebash, then whips, then tridents then catapults.
                        We get it, pvp to some folks is the end all of end all, other folks just want to log in play what little time they have talk to a couple people make a good story and go on, cause in a few months spears wont be the best ever, and something else will be.
                        The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

Working...
                        X