Make concealment great again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupert View Post

Or investigate. Yes. Especially if the 'happy medium' is 2/3rd's of the concealment items being effectively useless.
    Last time I checked, investigating won't make a hood jump off of someone's head. And unless we want to go down the path of "I know you did this because I did investigate it and apparently that's all I need to do so instead of trying to catch you red-handed I'm just gonna throw you in jail" I'd suggest keeping uncovering mechanics.
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
    A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's already happening despite the uncover mechanics. Catching red handed requires catching.
      Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
      I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
      Originally posted by Phwoar
      Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
      Originally posted by Elowynn
      Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

The problem right now is that there is effectively a 100% chance (or very close to that) to uncover someone in a hood or mask. The covered person just has no chance at all to remain anonymous. This does unfortunately limit roleplay opportunities, because no one is going to walk around in a cover when they know that they'll be immediately revealed by the first person who tries.

When I last tested about a month-and-a-half ago, a character with mediocre stats was uncovering another character 100% of the time, whether the person was wearing a hood, a hinged plate, or a fixed faceplate. That test was conducted because it seemed like they had made a recent change to make uncovering easier.

I think the uncover mechanic should still exist, but I would recommend that there is some kind of difficulty or tradeoff involved that would make it so that it is still tenable to wear them in public in certain scenarios. I feel like the mechanic had better balanced probabilities when it was first introduced.
        [Success: 5, Roll: 96] Wombat curls his wrist into a tight loop, causing his short whip to snap out at you! A loud, deafening *CRACK* sounds as his piece of dental floss strikes the air before your face, right in front of an eye!

Vote.

Comment

It should be like grapples where you have a fixed roundtime of reaching for the person. If you're hit or they retreat during that time, it effectively cuts it short and they have to try again.

Comment

I think Ilkilyn's idea is the best one so far. I'd be totally down for that.
            Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
            I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
            Originally posted by Phwoar
            Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
            Originally posted by Elowynn
            Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Working...
            X