Announcement

Collapse

Downtime Report: Wednesday Night

We had an abrupt and unannounced downtime for all games and services starting sometime after 9pm PT on Wednesday evening. This was due to a massive power outage at our cloud computing facility of the sort that redundant systems are supposed to ensure never happen. After about an hour they were able to diagnose that the power was out. It took a few more hours for them to start restoring service.

At this moment, everything is back up except for Ironclaw and TEC. At the rate they're restoring things, I hope those will be back up in the next 15-30 minutes, but it's entirely in their hands.

As is typically the case with a sudden reboot, TEC and GR have to be rolled back. This is already done with GR. The TEC rollback should be just a few hours due to the more recent backups recently instituted, but I need to get the machine back before I can verify that.

Update: Ironclaw and TEC are now back too. The TEC rollback was 2.5 hours, from 9.30pm PT (when everything crashed) to 7.00 pm PT.
See more
See less

Constructive Feedback on Culling Event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive Feedback on Culling Event

No doubt we all recognize that the GMs have put a fair amount of effort into this event, the island and everything surrounding it. Id like this post to serve as a constructive feedback loop for the GM's.

For example I will kick it off...

Perhaps leave lethal animal spawning until half way through the culling, searching for materials only to be killed by an NPC is a little bit of a disappointment. Perhaps using strong NPC's as the event progresses can encourage players towards certain areas (ie out of the Thick Forrest and into just the regular Forrest)
    Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

I am loving the excitement of finding random items that seem like treasure to me but the area is honestly too big in my opinion for the amount of players on at a time .

Comment

I couldn't figure out how to play the puzzles. I tried everything i could think of and was using @command all to try commands I hadn't thought of.

The island has some SERIOUS caches in it if you're willing to put in the time.

The island is massively massive.
      Originally posted by urek23
      On a scale from spawning-monsters-is-an-event to three-armors-fit-in-a-sack-on-purpose, how useless am I?

Fixed12345

Comment

The island is less like a small carabean isle they would film "naked and afraid" on and more like...the second largest island in Hawaii. It was the original "Gameworld" when the game first began, I believe.

Some regions have more deadly wildlife than others. That is just the local wildlife - you learn to avoid or deal with it...or you're eaten. They spawn just like normal animals spawn in the wild on the mainland. There are many reasons why the island was mostly abandoned for the mainland. Imagine a slightly smaller Australia, where 95% of things that move also want to kill and/or eat you.

The puzzles can be difficult, but then again, if you live long enough, you'll have several days to play with it and try new things.
        Game Master Tale
        Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

It sounds amazing. The problem I have is, I'll never see any of it, unless I want to destroy something that has taken me years to train, develop, and create.

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
            The island is less like a small carabean isle they would film "naked and afraid" on and more like...the second largest island in Hawaii. It was the original "Gameworld" when the game first began, I believe.

Some regions have more deadly wildlife than others. That is just the local wildlife - you learn to avoid or deal with it...or you're eaten. They spawn just like normal animals spawn in the wild on the mainland. There are many reasons why the island was mostly abandoned for the mainland. Imagine a slightly smaller Australia, where 95% of things that move also want to kill and/or eat you.

The puzzles can be difficult, but then again, if you live long enough, you'll have several days to play with it and try new things.
            Leech spiders OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post

Leech spiders OP.
              Those things are nuts..

Comment

This isnít a criticism or anything, just some suggestions for next year and then on... I mean we havenít even been doing this a day yet, so Iím sure there will be more things to discuss before itís done.

1. I like the concept of the event. Iím just not sure it can be a yearly thing. As it stands, a lot of the characters who joined are 10+ year old alt throwaways. This is not a bad thing, if this got people to get on their alts and sub, itís only good for the health of the game. Iíd also say that the majority of people who joined donít want to win anyways. Itís not really in my characterís mental programming to suicide to a spider, either. I think maybe bi-yearly or a smaller venue could work... but I donít see 100+ signups a year.

2. The starting spot. What was stopping someone from sitting outside of the ship and murdering everyone who got off after them? That would be bad sportsmanship, imo so I decided not to do it. If the island is used in subsequent events, maybe the boat could be anchored at sea and the slaves could tender people out to different starting spots on the island?

3. The size. Iíve been trying to get my bearings. Iíve mentally mapped an entire quadrant of the area, but I can just wander off in one direction for hours. Iím impressed with the scale, but Iím afraid as the player count dwindles we wonít be able to find other players to Ďinteractí with. Maybe a shrinking map/forcefield like PUBG? I know Iím kinda pushing a magical idea here...

4. Scrying orbs or something in the city, so people can watch some of the highlights?

Iíll add to the list if I can think of anything else. Again, I love the event thus far. Iím more thinking about the future (not that I plan to sign up again anytime soon).

Comment

As far as the scope of things, this isn't a necessarily a 'kill all the other people' situation. It's a 'survive as long as possible' situation. The central locations are easy meet-ups, but...do you WANT to meet up? 'interacting' with other players might well cut your time short, after all. Also, there IS a general map of the island....Here.
                  Game Master Tale
                  Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
                    As far as the scope of things, this isn't a necessarily a 'kill all the other people' situation. It's a 'survive as long as possible' situation. The central locations are easy meet-ups, but...do you WANT to meet up? 'interacting' with other players might well cut your time short, after all. Also, there IS a general map of the island....Here.
                    do you think we'll be able to visit the island without being a part of the culling??
                    Slyteavisius says to Canadadry, "Did someone beat you while explaining how the Beatles were too emo for them or something?"

Rupert1 cheats, "Jeans are too loud. Nothing says stealth like light white cotton and sunflowers."

Originally Posted by urek23
                    Rules only apply to specific people, something everyone that plays will learn very shortly after they start.

Comment

Did anybody else have trouble finding the exit from the village?
                      [color=dark yellow]Verbal Crushings[/color]
                             &nbsp ;[color=dark yellow]Now Serving #[/color][color=royal blue]7[/color]

Comment

I totally want to go back on a nonsuiside run, the place was awesome and sooo F-in huge.... I did not plan to win, heck I stocked the landing place with provisions and tried to help others.

Still had awesome RP on the island, sorry I went first, and off the island...

also names are being announced as I get them, a list is being kept on the Temple Altar
                        Bring it on you lovers of flame it turns my crank.

Slave to RP.

We believe in euthanasia here in TEC. We'll kill you any time, just ask.-Tale

Comment

oh and exiting the landing was buggy sometimes it would say to steep and sometimes you could just walk from the puzzle box

Slave to RP.

Comment

Was I the only one who thought this was supposed to be Hunger Games not Survivor ?

Slave to RP.

Comment

In hindsight... just two days in, my character is becoming harder and harder to continue to want to play.

Thatís all Iím going to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X