No announcement yet.

A Very Rough Guide for Making a Combat Character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any benefit to getting where you want to go with your primary weapon and then swapping the skill sets around to make Combat Manuveurs or Shield the primary? Is the SP savings worth the RP?
    Nothing much to say.

Comment

Originally posted by roast View Post
      Is there any benefit to getting where you want to go with your primary weapon and then swapping the skill sets around to make Combat Manuveurs or Shield the primary? Is the SP savings worth the RP?
      In my opinion, it can be worth it for certain weapon types. Essentially, if any particular combat set has less than 6 moves you'll use in it, it should be behind CM's. A good for instance might be knives. If you plan to have 3 OHK moves high and 3 CKF moves high, then CM's should be first, then either CKF or OHK depending on which you plan on devoting more time into. This way you save on 6 moves instead of 3 whenever you dump SP into them. CM's is generally the safest to have in slot 1 other than your primary weapon as defense is hugely important in this game, and I personally recommend taking dodges to extreme ranks if you're going to do it with anything.

I wouldn't recommend it for say, 2 handed axes though, as many of the skills you want to train are difficult, meaning higher cost than the 3 easy/ 3 average moves that CM's has. So putting those difficult moves in 2nd slot would be counter productive if you plan on training them high.

The differences are small at first, but over years could be hundreds or even thousands of ranks difference.

Comment

To those who have been around, added to this topic, shared some insight, and just been helpful in general thank you for doing so. As someone who come back in the past few months and had catch up on a boat load of changes I really appreciate the time and effort put into this thread for the community at large!
        TEC Discord Link!

VOTE FOR TEC!

Originally posted by Dyro
        "Good RP is consistency."

Originally posted by Cloudy
        "Shiloboy wins.
        Fatality.
        Keep up the good work."

Comment

Originally posted by roast View Post
          The way I look at this is thus:

Say I want to train 1000 ranks of a skill that is in 3rd slot. If I moved it to 1st slot it would save me 2000 skillpoints. How long would it take me to train 2000 skillpoints? If 250 a week, then 8 weeks.

It would cost me 500 Role Points to move said skill to slot one and save those skillpoints. How long would it take me to save 500 Role Points? Let us estimate 4 weeks.

So in this example Role points are cheaper to spend than Skill points so I would move the skill to slot 1 then train it.

Generic example with generic numbers. Generally the bigger numbr of ranks you want to train, the better idea it is to move it up in slot order though.

Comment

Bumping for new players to read over!
            TEC Discord Link!

VOTE FOR TEC!

Originally posted by Dyro
            "Good RP is consistency."

Originally posted by Cloudy
            "Shiloboy wins.
            Fatality.
            Keep up the good work."

Comment

Bumping my own thread for visibility, given lots of returning players.

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
                Bumping my own thread for visibility, given lots of returning players.
                Shameless.
                Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Working...
                X