Announcement

Collapse

Downtime Report: Wednesday Night

We had an abrupt and unannounced downtime for all games and services starting sometime after 9pm PT on Wednesday evening. This was due to a massive power outage at our cloud computing facility of the sort that redundant systems are supposed to ensure never happen. After about an hour they were able to diagnose that the power was out. It took a few more hours for them to start restoring service.

At this moment, everything is back up except for Ironclaw and TEC. At the rate they're restoring things, I hope those will be back up in the next 15-30 minutes, but it's entirely in their hands.

As is typically the case with a sudden reboot, TEC and GR have to be rolled back. This is already done with GR. The TEC rollback should be just a few hours due to the more recent backups recently instituted, but I need to get the machine back before I can verify that.

Update: Ironclaw and TEC are now back too. The TEC rollback was 2.5 hours, from 9.30pm PT (when everything crashed) to 7.00 pm PT.
See more
See less

Lets talk about staves.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, sorry. Staves are broken.

All it takes is one person going off and banditing to prove it to the masses.

Comment

Super balanced. You guys are crazy.

A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
      A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
      A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Give all skill sets stepping parting and defensive moves.

Comment

With defensive stepping, the RB should likely be taken AFTER the stance change, not before. Y'know, to be consistent with offensive stepping.
          A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
          A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
          A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

So...we ask to nerf staves and instead axes and 2haxes get nerfed instead. Oversight or not...you just nerfed the hell out of them. Five chopping moves for 1hax and four for 2hax...adding a second +/- to a skill is one thing but you just gave knives, 1hax, whips, swords, and spears an extra layer of defense versus an axe user and gave axers no balance for that change.

Comment

Originally posted by herdias View Post
              So...we ask to nerf staves and instead axes and 2haxes get nerfed instead. Oversight or not...you just nerfed the hell out of them. Five chopping moves for 1hax and four for 2hax...adding a second +/- to a skill is one thing but you just gave knives, 1hax, whips, swords, and spears an extra layer of defense versus an axe user and gave axers no balance for that change.
              Shields:

Cross Block will now block chopping attacks that are aimed mid. I believe that this
              was an oversight and has now been corrected.

Oversights in code, aka bugs, are not nerfs, they're bug fixes. Rebalancing a weapon after fixing a bug is something that can be done after the bug is fixed.

Edit: break their shield, edge gone

Comment

Yes. A 20 year old "bug". If that's the change it is what it is but consider the following:
                This is a huge DPS loss for both. You now have to focus on breaking a shield firstly or deal with a new 3rd layer of defense that wasn't present. No tweaks to chops were made to compensate for this because it was a "bug".

So let's say it takes you 6 shieldbreaks to destroy a shield. EVEN if you can spam it with no repeat penalty that's effectively 10-20 seconds of dps lost to focus on their shield. Take into account that you're probably gonna rotate attacks you're going to have to rotate 6 times all at a higher success than previous until you remove that shield's new bonus.
                so you've now lost X % of dps because of increased success and reduced uptime focusing on their shield with shield-break.

I thought we got out of the habit of knee jerk changes based on the whines of the masses?

Comment

Change falling strike for 2HAX to also move you 1 step defensive. Make this an average instead of difficult move
                  Change Stepping slash for 2HAX to approach (like a charge) (Do the same for 1HAX and give whips the same attack)
                  Allow arm hook on an already kneeling or prone target to throttle target like choke, doing damage to the arm. The current damage mechanics should allow this to build up enough damage after a few successful throttles to cause minor wincing before they're able to free themselves.

Reduce Stepping spin for staves to 2 attacks instead of 3.

Increase clubs base damage slightly.

Increase damage of backhand strike for CKF
                  Increase stun time of CKF face slash to always be 1 second more than round time of attack at stat skill speed for boison daggers. Remove auto-bleed (effectively makes it a feint all high/mid/low + damage)
                  Change CKF forward and back motion to give a solid +5 attack bonus per shift up to +20 max.

Remove the ability of CKF faceslash and whips precise snap to stun even though the hit was absorbed by a faceplate. Saps should keep their stuns as they're impact based
                  Reduce crit quality of all shield attacks. Sorry but decapitating with a shield just makes me sigh. Increase base damage of all shield attacks to compensate slightly.

And Finally, reduce the factor of dexterity's impact to crits by 50%, and add or increase Strength's impact to crits

Comment

I I wouldn’t mind buff to avros damage
                    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
                      I I wouldn’t mind buff to avros damage
                      It would be nice if Avros and Nelsor didn't leave openings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post

Increase damage of backhand strike for CKF
                        Increase stun time of CKF face slash to always be 1 second more than round time of attack at stat skill speed for boison daggers. Remove auto-bleed (effectively makes it a feint all high/mid/low + damage)
                        Change CKF forward and back motion to give a solid +5 attack bonus per shift up to +20 max.
                        I'm confused by this whole post. Everyone of those ideas is like a 'pat' here you go Knifer, we don't actually care about any of your core problems.
                        You can buff faceslash/backhand damage and stun all you want, that doesn't fix their absolutely horrible to-hit chances for a weapon with already horrible to-hit chances..
                        Change CKF forward and back motion to give a solid +5 attack bonus per shift up to +20 max. = This +accuracy boost is pretty much already in place as well? I never get less than a +19 tbh

Comment

I guess they can't ban all of us for disagreeing... I'd like to see clubs be able to block a weapon trap/hook in some fashion or another. I get it, every weapon has holes, but it'd be nice to have SOME chance at blocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran View Post
                            I'm confused by this whole post. Everyone of those ideas is like a 'pat' here you go Knifer, we don't actually care about any of your core problems.
                            You can buff faceslash/backhand damage and stun all you want, that doesn't fix their absolutely horrible to-hit chances for a weapon with already horrible to-hit chances..
                            Change CKF forward and back motion to give a solid +5 attack bonus per shift up to +20 max. = This +accuracy boost is pretty much already in place as well? I never get less than a +19 tbh
                            This is to reduce randomness and make it more clear that your actions are what's giving the bonus, so knowing what moves are front and what are back is important during PVP, and you don't feel like you get screwed when you get a +1 instead of +19

Overall I don't think Knives needs much of a change, my knifer feels well balanced and is just moves like backhand I feel I should be able to do a bit more reliable damage on instead of hoping for a crit. Faceslash change is just coming from the fact that I hate the idea of repeat bleeds from the same spot to cause a ko. Knives should make you bleed from 20 spots, not 20 bleeds from the same one. Knives for me has always felt like a, feint here then crit slash there kind of set, so faceslash to stun, and then a real hit from backhand or markhad to follow makes more sense. Faceslash would be more superficial compared to solid damage to the body from the follow up

Comment

Kudos to the changes.

Bring on Whips Parting Slash and Stepping Scourge!

Comment

Originally posted by TsunamiJack View Post
                                I guess they can't ban all of us for disagreeing... I'd like to see clubs be able to block a weapon trap/hook in some fashion or another. I get it, every weapon has holes, but it'd be nice to have SOME chance at blocking.
                                Think I have said this to you before, that isn't a lack of 'weapon block' problem. Hooks are similar to ankletrap where they're just stupidly accurate. Hooks go into my 500/500 Crossblock and 1150/200 long block and 95% of the time I'm not blocking them. Specifically the npc ones, almost all npc hooks/disarms/pushbacks are unstoppable even with ranks. About the only people possibly benefitting from your lack of a weapon hook defense is pushasides, which is an absolutely useless skill that just forces you to rewield before a Knifer even gets to attack you again. ( Even then, its not really able to just get pass the one layer of cross)

Not saying one handed clubs shouldnt get to block them, just saying, it wouldnt actually matter if you could.

Comment

Working...
                                X