Announcement

Collapse

Downtime Report: Wednesday Night

We had an abrupt and unannounced downtime for all games and services starting sometime after 9pm PT on Wednesday evening. This was due to a massive power outage at our cloud computing facility of the sort that redundant systems are supposed to ensure never happen. After about an hour they were able to diagnose that the power was out. It took a few more hours for them to start restoring service.

At this moment, everything is back up except for Ironclaw and TEC. At the rate they're restoring things, I hope those will be back up in the next 15-30 minutes, but it's entirely in their hands.

As is typically the case with a sudden reboot, TEC and GR have to be rolled back. This is already done with GR. The TEC rollback should be just a few hours due to the more recent backups recently instituted, but I need to get the machine back before I can verify that.

Update: Ironclaw and TEC are now back too. The TEC rollback was 2.5 hours, from 9.30pm PT (when everything crashed) to 7.00 pm PT.
See more
See less

Lets talk about staves.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post

I agree that Knives should have some moves reduced by 1 second rt, but not all. Other than that I disagree with most of the sentiment here. Shield sap for stun, pushaside for disarm. And the critical part... seriously??? my knifer doesn't even have over 200 dex and crits more than twice as often as my "strong" character. Because of this, he can do equal or more damage because of markad slash, doublecut and whirling slash and double critting the body and faceslash critting the face. You want the multi's to aim high or something? why? so they hit the hands and arms and those crits do less damage?

And btw, when 2 HAX and knives go berserk against each other, knives win. Why? Crits and stuns. Your faceslash will stun far more often than my sap. Your random crits will knock down, change my stance, stun me, disarm me, etc. All my hits just do base damage. Check my out my last fight vs Amyn, this is exactly what happened. Despite me getting devestating cut after devestating cut, fractures to the head, that base damage is NOT what it seems to be, while those knife crits took 20-40 hp per attack and most often also changed something else like disarm.
    First: Pushaside and Faceslash are both absolutely useless in PvP. All Pushaside does is diswield you and doesnt even put you in cooldown. 90% of the time, a knifer wont even get to attack before you rewield. Furthermore, Faceslash also serves absolutely no purpose, you make me want to throw up by your constant mentioning of it. I couldn't land faceslash on someone in an aggressive versus aggressive fight. It has a -50 + to hit or some crap. It receieves the penalty as if you were aimming for someone's face. The only actual 'useful' stun a knifer has is edgebash which every shield user has. Shield push is also vastly more valuable as a 'Crowd control' technique than pushaside. Knives itself has no useful crowdcontrol techniques, anything they have come from a completely unreleated 'support' skillsets. Unless you know, you decide to Berserk versus berserk one and make faceslash 'landable'.

Do you actually think you're suppose to win in a straight up DPS with what is suppose to be a pure dps weapon? Also, why would you even -go- berserk against a knifer. By going berserk, you basically -give- them an actual fighting chance without a sheer amount of luck needed. I'm not sure what you expect here? It's like a tank in a rpg saying, I'm not going to tank you rogue, lets see who does more damage! Virtually is, your weapon is one of the few weak enough to lose this anyway. Syden's whips would tear a knifer's face in, or ankletrap it in. Staves would destroy a knifer berserk versus berserk. Spears would sweep and spam impale over and over.

I never asked for Knives to aim high, but you are aware that them aiming mid-section automatically means they always go into the three usually, 'easy' layers yes? Comparison, Doublecut mid on a gladius user: That's Shield simple, Sword simple, oh and sidestep. Staver? Simple block, sidestep. Another knifer? Sidestep, simple, CKF slashing. It's not a hard logic to understand that when you force aim mid and avoid absolutely 'no' weaponblocks/shield blocks because of your style of weapon. You're aiming into a billion RB in a game where defense already wins unless you're abusing something to bypass it or have just an extremely accurate skillset like Pankration/brawling or Staves. There's an issue when a knifer basically needs a berserk versus berserk fight against a lower totem weapon like Two handed axes to have any remote accuracy.

Two handed axes are utterly as bad as knives. The only thing they have ever been good for is for their mechanical bugs from their hooks and abuse of them and more than one 'chop' for bypassing shield blocks by aiming mid. (Obviously changed now) Reality is: In a fight for your life of berserkers, you wouldn't of lost to Amy, you would of used ankle hook to pin him to the floor unable to stand up and headbutted his face in in the process. Unless they changed the fact you can't free yourself or stand while ankle hooked on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post

I agree that Knives should have some moves reduced by 1 second rt, but not all. Other than that I disagree with most of the sentiment here. Shield sap for stun, pushaside for disarm. And the critical part... seriously??? my knifer doesn't even have over 200 dex and crits more than twice as often as my "strong" character. Because of this, he can do equal or more damage because of markad slash, doublecut and whirling slash and double critting the body and faceslash critting the face. You want the multi's to aim high or something? why? so they hit the hands and arms and those crits do less damage?

And btw, when 2 HAX and knives go berserk against each other, knives win. Why? Crits and stuns. Your faceslash will stun far more often than my sap. Your random crits will knock down, change my stance, stun me, disarm me, etc. All my hits just do base damage. Check my out my last fight vs Amyn, this is exactly what happened. Despite me getting devestating cut after devestating cut, fractures to the head, that base damage is NOT what it seems to be, while those knife crits took 20-40 hp per attack and most often also changed something else like disarm.
      I agree with most of what you are saying, especially with regards to base damage. My toon gets tier 3-5 base damage constantly and can't keep up with any solid multi hitters that crit. Pankration/Brawling double hitters dispose of more mobs than my dev cuts and gapping wounds. If you add that to the insane upgrade amount of critical hits multiple hitting attacks get, it's almost unfair. There is a reason that for decades the bandit weapon of choice has either been knives or staves. Maybe the Meta right now favors more to staves, but just a few years back, it was only knives.

And I get rather annoyed when people complain that their weapon is 'broke' now because there isn't an I win button. Like OHCrushing's Crush mid. Or the old Flicker Feint bug, or the old Trap bug,

Comment

From my personal experience at least the changes to staves have balanced them a bit..I've only done two fights since the changes so I don't know if it is just something I need to get used to but I'm definitely not as effective as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by VBaehr View Post
          There is a reason that for decades the bandit weapon of choice has either been knives or staves. Maybe the Meta right now favors more to staves, but just a few years back, it was only knives.
          Because banditing is all about using surprise, high DPS and exploitable mechanics. Most bandit victims panic, go defensive, are afk, don't have a great understanding of mechanics or are compromised because of fatigue, injuries or weight. It had little to do with the viability of the weapon and more to do with quickly dispatching prone targets.

Comment

So I have not read all these posts..

However one of the reasons I would personally choose to roll a Staves is for a couple of reasons.

1. Access to trainers: There are far more trainers for Staves than most weapons in game, if not the most then its up there with a small group of weapons that new players can easily find people to learn from. Access to trainers is rather frustrating in game. Its something I am struggling with right now using a 2 Handed Axe and if I know rolling a staver will mean I can get lessons far easier than other weapons then that is appealing.

2. I also find Staves to be a simple skill set to get around and understand, comparing my own experiences with 2HA, where I have to pay more attention to whats a range/melee move. Its also far simpler to go with Staves (or other polearms) over skill sets that require subkills/shields. When you only have to worry about your weapon and CMs it is much easier to know what to train and how best to efficiently progress.

3. It is also a fun weapon, for all the reasons already listed... multi hitters, stepping moves.. these make it enjoyable even when fighting NPC's. So I don't think we should take that away from the skill set, while the abilities should be balanced so far as speed, damage and aiming, I would prefer to see other weapons have their own unique aspects built in as oppose to remove the ones that make staves... staves..

One idea I would like to float is removing the cost of learning from NPC's, I just feel this would make access to other weapons much easier for those who want to take them up. Or at the very least a severe reduction in the cost of training, I can't imagine many negative side effects from doing this.. Perhaps at the very least have all trainers provide free lessons until something like 1500 total ranks..
            Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

Originally posted by Felisin View Post
              So I have not read all these posts..

However one of the reasons I would personally choose to roll a Staves is for a couple of reasons.

1. Access to trainers: There are far more trainers for Staves than most weapons in game, if not the most then its up there with a small group of weapons that new players can easily find people to learn from. Access to trainers is rather frustrating in game. Its something I am struggling with right now using a 2 Handed Axe and if I know rolling a staver will mean I can get lessons far easier than other weapons then that is appealing.

2. I also find Staves to be a simple skill set to get around and understand, comparing my own experiences with 2HA, where I have to pay more attention to whats a range/melee move. Its also far simpler to go with Staves (or other polearms) over skill sets that require subkills/shields. When you only have to worry about your weapon and CMs it is much easier to know what to train and how best to efficiently progress.

3. It is also a fun weapon, for all the reasons already listed... multi hitters, stepping moves.. these make it enjoyable even when fighting NPC's. So I don't think we should take that away from the skill set, while the abilities should be balanced so far as speed, damage and aiming, I would prefer to see other weapons have their own unique aspects built in as oppose to remove the ones that make staves... staves..

One idea I would like to float is removing the cost of learning from NPC's, I just feel this would make access to other weapons much easier for those who want to take them up. Or at the very least a severe reduction in the cost of training, I can't imagine many negative side effects from doing this.. Perhaps at the very least have all trainers provide free lessons until something like 1500 total ranks..
              I strongly recommend against free training, since self training is an option. The game needs more - not fewer - money sinks.
              Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post

I strongly recommend against free training, since self training is an option. The game needs more - not fewer - money sinks.
                So you would rather it be difficult for new characters of even new players to get lessons for all the under utilised skills?

Hey, welcome to TEC. Oh you want to use a Trident to fit in wit the Character type you are going for? Sure spend many hours looking for a trainer or spend many hours grinding away to earn enough coin to buy those 10 combat ranks.

If you remove pointless barriers it will increase people's gaming experience... I also expect that the total money spent on buying lessons from NPC's is rather insignificant... at the current cost it takes 8t to take any ability to 100 with an NPC trainer. So if you can't find someone to teach you from our already limited playerbase... then you are pushing crap up hill with a fork.
                Tale responds from afar, "Decided to give out t-shirts to all the people I murder. Three so far. This way you can all say, "Tale murdered me! .....and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!!""

Comment

My healer just started tridents, there is no one offering lessons anytime i ask, its always trainer, but hey tridents are goofy fun
                  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

I agree with free lessons for newbs at like under 2k ranks. The real money sinks that help come from belhrads and auctions for established and wealthy chars

Comment

I want to chime in as a new player, and say the cost of training and event experience last night almost lost a paid player. I can't really participate in the community because of having 100's of skill points I can't use because there is no trainer, and grinding 1,000's of denars a day doesn't work because I also can't get armor or other things they character needs to progress.

All week, I had been waiting for a role-play opportunity for my character, and I attend an event where I'm put against someone with a full suit of armor, with non-starter weapons and every hit for them is a 5 and for me is a 95. Then get mocked as if it's my fault I'm not spending any time training on weapons. I then try to join a group of players who are going on an adventure, and I can't, because it becomes a discussion about how one side wants to do something my character can't handle. So was back to the ludus to play alone...

I am still at this point considering canceling my subscription, I can't do anything but fight on the same island and dive for the same pearls

Comment

Brokenlantern there are plenty of new characters around, all you have to do is kinda be vocal and say hey im looking to do something and im basically stuck on the island anyone want to pair up, there is alot folks can do, the old city is great for 2-3 newbies smashing heads
                        I can tell you, on my nameless newling I've bumped into people randomly all over, he's not vocal he's antisocial but getting to kill stuff in the dumps or the pits has been fun

Comment

I don't know what weapon you wield or who you play, but I and lots of other people train everyone who asks, for free. I'm also sure there are lots of people who will help you get a better weapon.

I do agree though, the gold cost of training is pretty high. I have been training cestus this year and because there are hardly any PC cestus wielders in game, it costs me 12talents to take a move from 0 to 80. Multiply that by the 15+ moves I've had to learn and i've spent 180 talents just on cestus lessons this year. There is no way a new player can do that.

#ICantWaitForNewWhipsMoves

Comment

P.S Kered actively tries to ask folks for help, so if you need it yell. Seriously I've been here forever i get being new stinks learning curve, no one ever replies.
                            #Makegladiigreatagainoratleastnotsuck

Comment

Originally posted by brokenlantern View Post
                              I want to chime in as a new player, and say the cost of training and event experience last night almost lost a paid player. I can't really participate in the community because of having 100's of skill points I can't use because there is no trainer, and grinding 1,000's of denars a day doesn't work because I also can't get armor or other things they character needs to progress.

All week, I had been waiting for a role-play opportunity for my character, and I attend an event where I'm put against someone with a full suit of armor, with non-starter weapons and every hit for them is a 5 and for me is a 95. Then get mocked as if it's my fault I'm not spending any time training on weapons. I then try to join a group of players who are going on an adventure, and I can't, because it becomes a discussion about how one side wants to do something my character can't handle. So was back to the ludus to play alone...

I am still at this point considering canceling my subscription, I can't do anything but fight on the same island and dive for the same pearls
                              The event you attended was a gladiator fight. There aren't many people willing to fight at the ranks you have, Kudo's for doing so. Some of the best fighters in the game were there. you could have gotten armor/weapons/coin or lessons from any of us if you had asked. Don't be shy.

Comment

Just a suggestion to the training cost for new characters. Why donít they put a few trainers in the ludus that is free to use while you are able to train there. Cap the trainerís ability at 50 ranks per move. That will allow a new player to get started and up to 750 combat ranks before needing to split time making money and training.

Comment

Working...
                                X