Gladiatorial 'skill sheets'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladiatorial 'skill sheets'

I'd like to propose a suggestion for gladiator fights, that might aid in fixing some of the problems we see with bad match ups and stale high tier competition.

It would be amazing if we had a menu system, where we could pick and choose from ranks our characters have already learned, and create 'skill sheets' that we could take into gladiatorial combat. Expand this to self-imposed caps on your own stats, too. Something that would allow players to create fair match ups, or challenging match ups where they might not exist now.

This would open up room for players to define their own 'tiers', kind of like weight classes, or a total points allowed in a 40k army. It gives everyone an exact idea of what they're going to compete against, and it allows player far more variables in strategy. Someone could go through the effort of building a 'skill sheet' for each tier, or take it even further and make one against every weapon in each tier, playing into deep combat knowledge. people with 10,000 TCR can compete against people with 1000 TCR fairly.

This is probably a bit of a programming undertaking, but I think the dynamics produced by it would lead to a really healthy gladiatorial arena. As a side effect, it also lets players voluntarily correct their own perceived imbalances in high tier combat in the defining of their own tiers. There would still be room for the clash of Titans, too, if people wanted.

I think another interesting side effect you'd see from such a system, is the competitive tier shifting from what is currently high tier to somewhere in the middle. Their will be a tier where it will be far more about how you disperse your ranks and stats, rather than just having them, where combat knowledge will play a much higher role.

It's a VERY rough idea, but I wanted to put it out there to see what others think. Is some variation of this even implementable? Where would you improve on it?
    Last edited by Rupert; 07-27-2018, 11:09 PM.
    Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
    I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
    Originally posted by Phwoar
    Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
    Originally posted by Elowynn
    Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

I like the idea, but I doubt they will implement it due to the coding and possible bugs that would ensue.
    The person doing the match making needs to have a better idea of where everyone is at combat wise. There were a lot one sided fights last night. Having combat assess helps, and being one of the gladiators that actually fights all these people and knows where the stats/ranks/player skill is at is critical to fun fights.

Comment

Why not just code in a better combat assess?

There is also the Fight Command. Maybe people would consider that as well.

I'd suggest adding an NPC that can see ranks and do the assessments for us. Would be easier.

Say to Old Worn Gladiator 'Assess Syden and Kyrah'

An old worn Gladiator looks over Kyrah

An old worn Gladiator says to Kyrah, "You know knives, whips, and one handed crushing. What will you be using?"

Kyrah says to an old worn gladiator, "Knives."

An old worn Gladiator nods.

The NPC would auto assume both shields + CM's being used

It could then look over the other person and be able to say stuff like:

An old worn Gladiator reports: Kyrah is a grandmaster of Knives, Shields, and CM's. Syden is a grandmaster of Staves and CM's. This is a good match (This is a poor match, This is a one sided match).

And the coding is already in place. Steal some of the code from the guards in Franlius and build off that.
      TEC Discord Link!

VOTE FOR TEC!

Originally posted by Dyro
      "Good RP is consistency."

Originally posted by Cloudy
      "Shiloboy wins.
      Fatality.
      Keep up the good work."

Comment

Originally posted by Shiloboy View Post
        Why not just code in a better combat assess?

There is also the Fight Command. Maybe people would consider that as well.

I'd suggest adding an NPC that can see ranks and do the assessments for us. Would be easier.

Say to Old Worn Gladiator 'Assess Syden and Kyrah'

An old worn Gladiator looks over Kyrah

An old worn Gladiator says to Kyrah, "You know knives, whips, and one handed crushing. What will you be using?"

Kyrah says to an old worn gladiator, "Knives."

An old worn Gladiator nods.

The NPC would auto assume both shields + CM's being used

It could then look over the other person and be able to say stuff like:

An old worn Gladiator reports: Kyrah is a grandmaster of Knives, Shields, and CM's. Syden is a grandmaster of Staves and CM's. This is a good match (This is a poor match, This is a one sided match).

And the coding is already in place. Steal some of the code from the guards in Franlius and build off that.

This used to actually be a thing I think have an ancient memory of this, maybe 10+ years ago there was a guy in the Colosseum who would tell you how good you were.

Comment

An old worn Gladiator reports: Premius has four maxed out stats, Basicus has one.

Comment

I'd be totally down for a better combat assess. I don't think it fixes the perceived problems of high tier gladiator combat, though.

The NPC's name was Sabinus. He was removed, regardless of overwhelming player protest, I believe because he was deemed by the GM's to be 'working incorrectly'. Players have been asking for him or some variation of him to come back for years. I think if this was easy to do, we would have seen it by now. Hereagain is also 100% correct on the stats part of the equation. Two tier 3's aren't exactly both tier 3, if one of them has 3 inhumans and the other is stat skilled.

I think some changes are worth investing more heavily in, despite perceived difficulty. Just look at all the great stuff that came out of revamping the way hunting ground spawns work. Gladiatorial combat is something 95% of the playerbase enjoys, and probably 70% or more take part in. Quality changes in this area go a long way to improve player experiences.
            Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
            I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
            Originally posted by Phwoar
            Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
            Originally posted by Elowynn
            Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Sabinus adjusted his rating based on stats as well I believe, at least to some extent- including stat skills

Comment

Working...
              X