Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Custom Moves/Skills Opened up again....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of personal custom moves. One per character and you can't teach it.

You essentially get to 're-skin' a move from another skill set. Could be a block or an attack, something that fills in your defensive holes or takes advantage of a gap your weapon might have vs other defenses.

Reskinning Spears Overhead Thrust or Nelsor's Reverse Sky Arch could be a popular choice. Obviously retooling damage type (ie: bludgeon, slashing, piercing).
    Or Avros Sunrise Block? Which is amazing according to the wiki?

I think utility skills would be off the table, like weapon hooks or foot stomp/knee break. Though what a dream to not have to go into brawling.

Comment

I've always seen this as the mark of true mastery of a particular technique, the precursor to the creation of a real style or school. With this in mind, it brings a level of prestige to the originator of the technique. It immortalizes your name and solidifies your place in history. Not being able to pass this knowledge on would detract from that legend. For a time you would have the stories of the man that uses his own slash, but that's nothing compared to generations learning a move that carries your mark and with it the stories of how this man reached such levels of perfection.

Because of this I think it should improve an existing move, not allow for closing an existing hole or otherwise changing the skill set. It's mastery, not invention, and I believe this helps for mechanical reasons. We have enough complaints and imbalance and allowing for shifts in that will only cause more. That isn't to say being able to "improve" a particularly strong aspect won't. I'd be happy with a duplicate of an existing move, just with a new style and textual description. This would have the advantage or increasing the options for rotation.

I think this also can serve to greatly restrict the addition of these moves. Not only will it need to balance within the skillset and not upset the balance between skillsets (whether you believe such exists or not) but it come with a burden of proving worthiness. There would be, in my mind, no option to receive a custom skill in exchange for RP but instead the option to apply for a custom skill. You would need to back up your claim that your character is deserving of the honor. I will grant you that this relies on the interpretation and impartiality of the GMs.

I also think it should be available to non-combat skills. Much like a custom pattern or edging taught only to your favored tailors. The actual utility for healing is minimal, and the most difficult in my opinion to incorporate. Outdoors practitioners could open options for custom whittling shapes, embellished torches or cosmetic difference (or even mechanical benefit) to constructed tools. Locksmiths could operate similarly with picks and keys. Who doesn't want a key with a skull-shaped handle?

TLDR; I've always seen the difficulty in doing this, but it's something I would like to see more of. I would enjoy a character proudly stating that she was a disciple of a particular school or master and the rivalries that might arise.

Comment

Originally posted by ToothlessRebel View Post
        Because of this I think it should improve an existing move, not allow for closing an existing hole or otherwise changing the skill set. It's mastery, not invention, and I believe this helps for mechanical reasons.
        Cool. I like that as well. Great idea.

Comment

I'd honestly be happy even if it was the same damage and difficulty as any other move, but with different flavor text. That alone would make combat seem more lively. And really, doing it that way is basically just an emote and has no impact on mechanics. That was what I originally thought custom moves were, way back in the day.

Comment

Custom moves will never work if the GM's have to consider weapon balance every time.

Custom moves should simply be a rewriting of the prose involved for a move. That way I could change 2HAX sap as follows:

Old: A man in a hooded cloak slides both hands together near the head of his two-handed tin axe, then snaps the haft towards a thug! He suffers a bruise to his head.

New: A man in a hooded cloak raises his two-handed tin axe high in the air, then brings the flat of the blade down at a thug's head as if hammering a massive nail! He suffers a bruise to his head.

No balance issues, no repeat penalty circumvention, simply interesting prose for the same combat system.

Comment

Ilkilyn's idea is a good one. It would introduce an interesting roleplay dynamic to combat. A player might customize the prose for several moves, making it seem like they have their own unique fighting style. Essentially, it could work like a custom character description.
              • The skill has the same name on your skillsheet.
              • The custom prose you choose replaces the normal skill prose permanently for your character.
              • You can still teach/learn the move from/to anyone (but they won't get the custom prose).
              There may be some minor guidelines/restrictions needed. For example, probably any "stepping" move would still need to include a phrase in the prose that indicates you are getting "more aggressive." But besides that I don't see how this would cause any problems.
              [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

This to me would be a very awesome compromise. You get the uniqueness of a custom move without the headache of balancing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
                  Custom moves will never work if the GM's have to consider weapon balance every time.

Custom moves should simply be a rewriting of the prose involved for a move. That way I could change 2HAX sap as follows:

Old: A man in a hooded cloak slides both hands together near the head of his two-handed tin axe, then snaps the haft towards a thug! He suffers a bruise to his head.

New: A man in a hooded cloak raises his two-handed tin axe high in the air, then brings the flat of the blade down at a thug's head as if hammering a massive nail! He suffers a bruise to his head.

No balance issues, no repeat penalty circumvention, simply interesting prose for the same combat system.
                  I would run out of RP's if they made this a thing. I always used to think that custom moves was just this.
                  TEC Discord Link!

VOTE FOR TEC!

Originally posted by Dyro
                  "Good RP is consistency."

Originally posted by Cloudy
                  "Shiloboy wins.
                  Fatality.
                  Keep up the good work."

Comment

Honestly, I'd love to see a simple prose change for current moves available to make characters appear to have a more custom fighting style. Don't add it as a new move, just change how it displays when you use it. Adding it as a new move (which was what used to be done) is what caused combat balance issues. If all you do is change how it looks without adding a new skill entirely, then you don't have to rebalance anything. That said, I recently requested this and the response was a description of what was and will not be done again. I'm still not sure if my request was fully understood as a personal prose change with the same command instead of adding new skills with a prose change and new command. Either way I think it would be a coding nightmare.
                    Wombat responds from afar, "Allupindat Booty is probably less acceptable than President Clinton."
                    Tale responds from afar, "Downs Endrum? Really?"
                    Arconn9 in "Best gladiators of all time project" thread - Wehttam (for beating Rizer,Drexus and like 5 other characters with a bow in the first Gladiator fights I ever been too and when we were are all newbie characters, just for that time lol)

Comment

Ilkilyn's Slow Grab

[Success: 5, Roll:92] Ilkilyn stands right in front of you, his eyes locked with yours, as he reaches down... and forcefully yanks the biscuit right out of your hands. He then turns and walks away without saying a word. You feel violated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
                        Ilkilyn's Slow Grab

[Success: 5, Roll:92] Ilkilyn stands right in front of you, his eyes locked with yours, as he reaches down... and forcefully yanks the biscuit right out of your hands. He then turns and walks away without saying a word. You feel violated.
                        I support this move with the following changes.

1) Like CKF wrist slash, make it only executable after a certain trigger.

2) Make that trigger you taking a bite out of whatever food you're holding.

3) Change the description to yank it out of someone's mouth.

4) Make it an auto-5.
                        A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                        A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                        A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                        X