Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Archery

    I am looking to start an archer and I dont seem to be able to find any helpful get started stuff. I know the skill is a pain to get going and I would appreciate any advice on it. I have PVE plans

  • #2
    It's a tough skill to get going, but fun when you've got good stats and traits and ranks. There are a lot of pre requirements to access the good moves.
    I recommend the following :
    Night vision and hunters eye is a must IMO, blend in presence of mind or Adren rush, athletic, worldly knowledge, neutral could be anything, they're all viable depends on your Rp, or what you want to do.
    Reflexes, fall back, etc are critical, be prepared to learn cm's
    Archery pairs well with brawling/panik, some choose spears or staves also.
    Hunting/outdoors is always a solid non com to go with, same with healing.
    You want perception>stre>dex>agil/end etc. stat priority.
    You can always shoot the archery target. maybe have a outdoorsie build a leanto nearby.
    Other than that, GL have fun, reference the wiki for more details or, PM me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Its an old character that I unskilled. I have good stats (vg or better) aside from the end and
      str. Finesse. I have worldly and athletic.

      Comment


      • #4
        Could work pretty well. I highly recommend Night vision+ hunters eye allows for scanning in the dark, especially combined with high end perception, it really adds to the viability of your skill. And make being an archer that much more fun.

        Comment


        • #5
          except it's an old character, so can't change traits.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Itsarka View Post
            I am looking to start an archer and I dont seem to be able to find any helpful get started stuff. I know the skill is a pain to get going and I would appreciate any advice on it. I have PVE plans
            I'll help you out to get started.

            Learn a different weapon. The GMs nerfed archery into a skill that is unusable. It will save you many hours of headache.

            Comment


            • #7
              Disappointing to hear.
              Agility: very good Appearance: slightly below average
              Charisma: slightly below average Dexterity: great
              Empathy: below average Endurance: slightly above average
              Judgement: slightly below average Memory: slightly above average
              Perception: very good Reasoning: average
              Speed: very good Strength: above average
              Willpower: above average
              Finesse
              Worldly Knowledge
              Athletic
              what skillset do these stats recommend?

              Comment


              • #8
                Staves probably most viable. Knives, Pankration, spears, Anything really, those traits are actually pretty strong if you plan on investing RPS, you could have a solid end game character.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Archery is not useless. It's just frustrating in many ways.

                  It's best if you have an armor/shield or skilled friend and have lean-tos made, as your energy goes faster.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think you just made the case that it is useless. You gotta spend a bunch of time at the range losing arrows. Then you have to have a meat shield handy and near leantos as well. As a primary skill itís trash as a secondary weapon itís ok. Iíve got an archer character that is fairly skilled but donít play him because of that. And I really wanted to learn the skill I thought itíd be a cool hunter class.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Archery can be a fun skillset, but it is not a skillset that is going to let you game the system or dominate other players. If your primary interest is roleplay, it can be fun. It does have more bugs than other skillsets, though they are mostly descriptive oddities rather than issues that actually affect your ability to use the skills. Unfortunately, the_thief is correct that traits have a huge effect on the viability of the skill. Without selecting all of the "archer traits" and having a very high perception stat, the skill requires more careful planning because you can't really use it at night or in certain situations unless you want to drop torches across the entire hunting ground.

                      I have it as a secondary skillset. I train it occasionally and find it to be amusing in small doses, usually a few weeks at a time.
                      [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Irisa View Post
                        Archery can be a fun skillset, but it is not a skillset that is going to let you game the system or dominate other players. If your primary interest is roleplay, it can be fun. It does have more bugs than other skillsets, though they are mostly descriptive oddities rather than issues that actually affect your ability to use the skills. Unfortunately, the_thief is correct that traits have a huge effect on the viability of the skill. Without selecting all of the "archer traits" and having a very high perception stat, the skill requires more careful planning because you can't really use it at night or in certain situations unless you want to drop torches across the entire hunting ground.

                        I have it as a secondary skillset. I train it occasionally and find it to be amusing in small doses, usually a few weeks at a time.
                        This about sums it up. Unless you -really- want to dedicate yourself to a skill that can and will be frustrating, it's best as a secondary skill. [Mind you, my character will NEVER EVER FREAKING admit something like that]
                        "...only you can prevent forest fires" The Legendary Smokey the Bear

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think what truly killed archery this time around is the damage nerf. Currently, there's absolutely no incentive to learn archery over another weapon, beyond the "I can shoot from another pace" aspect - an aspect that is largely invalidated by spawn, guarding, being berserk, etc. and many other things, in terms of PVE. "Hanging out" with people while being an archer ain't all that fun when you're always a room away.

                          For archers to be less of the joke they are now, I think at least these two things need to happen:

                          (TALE PLEASE READ!)

                          1) Archery damage needs to be boosted. This is the -only- reason anyone would want to shoot at something. Currently, why spend coin on iron-arrows just to hit something meh-hard, when you can learn pretty much ANY other weapon to hit something harder, and for free? These other skillsets even let you learn defenses! Tale, you can make "arrow impact," or something similar, into another subskill as an SP sink, if you really want to.
                          2) Iron-tipped arrows need to be much cheaper. It is a real pain in the ass to shoot crap with expensive arrows, then have to spend more time ripping them all out. The amount of time it takes me to rip arrows out of dead Cinerans is longer than the time it takes to loot them. By the time I'm done, I could have rested half a bar. Um... expensive or so time consuming. Extra dangerous. Low damage. Can't hang with my friends. All equals a big no, thank you.

                          Some other suggestions that are just for fun:

                          a) Weaving could make bow-strings out of reeds, intestines or hides.
                          b) Maybe some other equipment could be introduced to give archery bonuses. Armguards? Archery gloves? More coin sinks.
                          Last edited by Elowynn; 09-21-2018, 04:10 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
                            I think what truly killed archery this time around is the damage nerf. Currently, there's absolutely no incentive to learn archery over another weapon, beyond the "I can shoot from another pace" aspect - an aspect that is largely invalidated by spawn, guarding, being berserk, etc. and many other things, in terms of PVE. "Hanging out" with people while being an archer ain't all that fun when you're always a room away.

                            For archers to be less of the joke they are now, I think at least these two things need to happen:

                            (TALE PLEASE READ!)

                            1) Archery damage needs to be boosted. This is the -only- reason anyone would want to shoot at something. Currently, why spend coin on iron-arrows just to hit something meh-hard, when you can learn pretty much ANY other weapon to hit something harder, and for free? These other skillsets even let you learn defenses! Tale, you can make "arrow impact," or something similar, into another subskill as an SP sink, if you really want to.
                            2) Iron-tipped arrows need to be much cheaper. It is a real pain in the ass to shoot crap with expensive arrows, then have to spend more time ripping them all out. The amount of time it takes me to rip arrows out of dead Cinerans is longer than the time it takes to loot them. By the time I'm done, I could have rested half a bar. Um... expensive or so time consuming. Extra dangerous. Low damage. Can't hang with my friends. All equals a big no, thank you.

                            Some other suggestions that are just for fun:

                            a) Weaving could make bow-strings out of reeds, intestines or hides.
                            b) Maybe some other equipment could be introduced to give archery bonuses. Armguards? Archery gloves? More coin sinks.

                            Bumping to say I agree. Please listen to this person.

                            "...only you can prevent forest fires" The Legendary Smokey the Bear

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I recently started training with the bow on one of my characters and have to admit I'm sort of confused. Starting out as a complete newb, no ranks spent, sometimes I will get a Success roll of 30, other times 50, other times...you get the idea. For the last couple of days, despite broad daylight and light breeze, I'm consistently getting a 70 on the target up by the training wall, north of town. Is this typical, or am I missing something?
                              “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
                              ~Robert E. Howard

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X