Archery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evocatus View Post
    I recently started training with the bow on one of my characters and have to admit I'm sort of confused. Starting out as a complete newb, no ranks spent, sometimes I will get a Success roll of 30, other times 50, other times...you get the idea. For the last couple of days, despite broad daylight and light breeze, I'm consistently getting a 70 on the target up by the training wall, north of town. Is this typical, or am I missing something?
    Started a new archer. As far as I can tell a light breeze increases the difficulty by about 50. So 70 is expected.
    It is really hard to start an archer in this game.
    Were I a developer I would put a () in the character creation by archer (Recommended for experienced players).

Still really happy the class exists, lookin forward to having fun with this guy.

Comment

The damage nerf is annoying, but it's only temporary. Instead of getting the skills to 101 to cap them, you have to get them to 151. Parting shot, however, the damage was actually nerfed. Tale's explanation for this was "You're moving backwards, so the arrow isn't going as fast." Huh, so all the other weapons in the game's parting moves do boosted damage, but archery seems to be the exception. I'm pretty sure I've got the only archer in the game that bothered training parting shot that high to try to cap the damage only to realize Tale walloped it with the nerf stick for literally no reason, meanwhile Staves has a parting move that fractures at 15 over. Sweet.
      Iron arrows are fairly easy to farm if you have fishing and know how to get into the nehal villiage. So easy, in fact, I use them to train on the archery target. I have no complaints about.

Comment

Originally posted by Evocatus View Post
        I recently started training with the bow on one of my characters and have to admit I'm sort of confused. Starting out as a complete newb, no ranks spent, sometimes I will get a Success roll of 30, other times 50, other times...you get the idea. For the last couple of days, despite broad daylight and light breeze, I'm consistently getting a 70 on the target up by the training wall, north of town. Is this typical, or am I missing something?
        So distance is the first and foremost factor. Also lighting (if you don't have Night Vision or Hunter's Eye this factor will hurt you). Secondly slopes, up or down both affect a shot's difficulty. The Archery Target is typically well lit so lighting won't be a problem really. Just narrow it down to distance. This is all assuming you are using Basic Shot. If you are using Head Shot, Rapid Fire, or Hand Shot...well, things get tricky.
        "...only you can prevent forest fires" The Legendary Smokey the Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Launrentinus View Post

Started a new archer. As far as I can tell a light breeze increases the difficulty by about 50. So 70 is expected.
          It is really hard to start an archer in this game.
          Were I a developer I would put a () in the character creation by archer (Recommended for experienced players).

Still really happy the class exists, lookin forward to having fun with this guy.
          LOL Dude, see you in about 3 years when you get 'good' enough to have 'fun' with this guy and realize you just wasted your life training a character that will never be good.

Sorry to be so negative, but you are really not doing yourself any favors by using the worst skillset in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadius View Post

So distance is the first and foremost factor. Also lighting (if you don't have Night Vision or Hunter's Eye this factor will hurt you). Secondly slopes, up or down both affect a shot's difficulty. The Archery Target is typically well lit so lighting won't be a problem really. Just narrow it down to distance. This is all assuming you are using Basic Shot. If you are using Head Shot, Rapid Fire, or Hand Shot...well, things get tricky.
            I am certain I narrowed it down to wind conditions. Shooting the target. Well lit, though the character has hunters eye any way. It is easy to use the weather command to check wind conditions. When the wind is still success on the target is 5. When there is any wind it adjusts.

Comment

I am certain I narrowed it down to wind conditions. Shooting the target. Well lit, though the character has hunters eye any way. It is easy to use the weather command to check wind conditions. When the wind is still success on the target is 5. When there is any wind it adjusts.
              From my understanding each rank in windshot/slope shot/long distance targeting offsets the penalty by 2. I've been wrong before though.
              Archery is easily the most buggy, and most difficult weapon to utilize in group and solo combat. Enjoy!

Comment

Volirex was a vet 10 with 200 perception. He also had the legio trainer in Franlius so selftraining wasn't an issue. Otherwise I would've hated archery. It's a fun skillset but it has its flaws. It doesn't really shine til you're 101 or I guess now 151 in shots and have atleast 50+ in each of the timing skills.

Comment

Will training basic shot past 10 turn off SP gain from the archery target?

Comment

No, you can use the target range forever.

Comment

BTW, basic shot is your MOST IMPORTANT skill to have trained. Hands down.
                      "...only you can prevent forest fires" The Legendary Smokey the Bear

Comment

My archer hasn't any other attacks yet. He's got over 700 sp because there is no one to train from. I think he needs to go take a salt bath and get some clams...

Comment

Doesn't Fern teach archery?
                          Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

Working...
                          X