Defense Calculations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Calculations

Do defensive mooves stack, or is the most effective used to block with? I am finding it difficult to grasp in game. So are shield just more HP and a stun attack? To be direct.
    Thanks!

Layers stack, yes. 1st layer provides 100% of your rank bonus as defense. Second layer provides 50%, 3rd layer provides 33%.

For instance if your rank bonus in dodge, shield block and sword block are 100 each, you'll have 100+50+33=183 defensive bonus for attacks that target those specific skills

Each attack though may trigger different skills for each layer though. For each layer, a dodge or block will only cover one "hole", so two blocks or dodges will never stack with each other

In other words, you need ranks in all your dodges and blocks to cover all possible attacks. If you only train shield block high, then any attacks low will be undefended against by your shield layer

The wiki page has an incomplete breakdown of what attacks go against which blocks and dodges, but it gives you a general idea: http://eternal-city.wikidot.com/blocks-and-dodges

Comment

Ilkilyn explained it well, but here's a real world example that may help.

Say you are a swordsman with the following ranks:
      Basic Rank Subskill Rank Defensive Rank Bonus
      Sword Basics - 60 Overhead Block - 10 38
      Shield Basics - 10 Overhead Block - 7 18
      Combat Manuevers - 50 Swaying Dodge - 15 42

Your total defense against some example moves looks like this:
      Opponent's attack Blocked by Total Defense Defense Calculation
      Staves Longarm Strike Swaying Dodge
      Sword Overhead Block
      Shield Overhead Block
      67 42 (42 * 100%)
      + 19 (38 * 50%)
      + 6 (18 * 33%)
      Spears Overhead Thrust Swaying Dodge
      Shield Overhead Block
      51 42 (42 * 100%)
      + 9 (18 * 50%)
      Whip Short Entangle Swaying dodge 42 42 (42 * 100%)

Note that the examples above assume you're standing in a Defensive stance. If you're standing in a Normal stance, your rank bonus would be half of this.
      [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

Wasn't the 2nd layer at a higher percentage if there was no 3rd applicably layer?

Comment

Thanks! This really helps. Shields are certainly more than heal and stun attacks.
          Smart design.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorico View Post
            Wasn't the 2nd layer at a higher percentage if there was no 3rd applicably layer?
            I'll admit that it has been a few years now since I last tested it, but I am pretty confident it is 100/50/33 no matter how many layers you are using.

This seems to be agreed upon in all forum posts after 2011 that I can find.

I think that at one time in the past a greater percentage of the second layer was used if you didn't have a third layer, but it led to bugs/weirdness (example: If someone was rank 1/1 in shields, wielding a shield as a third layer would actually make their overall defense worse).
            [Success: 95, Roll: 5] Pharse swings a cestus-covered fist sideways, lashing out at you with the blades of his weapon, but misses. You use the broad head of your short whip to knock aside the attack with a brute-force swat.

Comment

I thought it was 100/60/30 and 100/75?

Comment

Originally posted by Irisa View Post
                I think that at one time in the past a greater percentage of the second layer was used if you didn't have a third layer, but it led to bugs/weirdness (example: If someone was rank 1/1 in shields, wielding a shield as a third layer would actually make their overall defense worse).
                I'll see if I can test it. I had 100/60/30 and 100/75.

Comment

Using 10/10, 10/10, 1/1 yes you'd have initially less RB. But would automatically surpass 10/10, 10/10 0/0 at like 5/5 shields.

Comment

This made me curious, so I tested it again.

With two layers of defense, I am getting numbers that are consistent with 100% of my primary RB and 50% of my secondary RB.
                    Stance Pod Beetle
                    Success
                    Basic Dodge RB Crossing Block RB projected attack success
                    if layering is 100/50
                    projected attack success
                    if layering is 100/75
                    bers 9 0 0 9 9
                    agg 37 22.3125 12.625 37 40
                    norm 65 44.625 25.2565 65 71
                    wary 93 66.9375 37.875 93 95 (103)
                    I don't have any character with three layers, so I can't test that. Would be interested to hear from someone who can.
                    Last edited by Irisa; 09-22-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Aye we can test this asap and let folks know.

Comment

Now also tested this for three layers using two different one-handed weapon blocks.

The results were 100/50 when using CMs and weapon, and 100/50/33 when the shield block was added.

Also worth noting, it would seem you are limited to three defense layers maximum, even if you use a weapon with theoretical access to a fourth layer.

Comment

So no brawling blocks? I can't think of what else a fourth layer would be.
                          Does brawling trigger when your main weapons doesn't? Whip and axe not the best of blocking weapons...
                          I assume it brawling blocks turns off when your character wields a weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Launrentinus View Post
                            So no brawling blocks? I can't think of what else a fourth layer would be.
                            Does brawling trigger when your main weapons doesn't? Whip and axe not the best of blocking weapons...
                            I assume it brawling blocks turns off when your character wields a weapon.
                            Avros and Pardelian both have a block that could be considered fourth layer in certain circumstances. I believe this is what she's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantraste View Post

Avros and Pardelian both have a block that could be considered fourth layer in certain circumstances. I believe this is what she's talking about.
                              Forgot all about those. I bet the kneeling one calculates no mater what.

Comment

Working...
                              X