Announcement

Collapse

The Great Skotos Split Is Here [UPDATED]

The long-planned Skotos split is here. We are going to be separating Skotos into the four games that we're passing off to individual players (Marrach, TEC, the game formerly known as Ironclaw Online, the game formerly known as Lazarus Sleeping), and in the near future the core Skotos site will shutdown.

Here's how it will work:
* On Monday, we will turn off the ability to make any purchases through the main site. This will be the end of credit card purchases for Skotos games.
* We will run final automated credit card purchases on Tuesday morning. This is typical, in that our regular subscriptions are always set to run on the 1st through the 28th.
* On Wednesday, we will begin converting the games over to the new auth server that I've been working on for the last month and a half. All data will be converted over from the moment I grab the database. This means that all of your account information, including all payments (but not including any credit card information or Paypal information) will be duped to all the games: you'll be able to play any of them for the time you'd previously paid at the main Skotos site.
* We'll then start integrating the individual sites for each game with the new stand-alone setup.
* And likely I'll be resolving bugs in the auth server that only turn up through extensive usage.
* Meanwhile, we'll start handing off games to the individuals who will be running it in the future. I'm at this point over the time I'd initially committed to Skotos by a bit more than three weeks, but I'm expecting I'll need to offer support a little into May to make sure everyone is running well and that I've helped Christopher, Skotos, and the game leads deal with any intricacies of the hand-off.
* We'll request that all games remove all information from users who didn't stick with their game within a year.

I hope this will go as smoothly as possible. There will surely be bumps in the road. In particular, expect some random downtimes on Wednesday, when I convert over the games to the new servers, and expect the potential for problems on *next* Thursday, when I see how things work in the new setup.

A Few Updates as of 5/3:

1.) Castle Marrach, TEC, and Allegory of Empires are now split out from the main Skotos UserDB, which is the first (and biggest) step in separating these games. Multiversal Revelations will follow on Monday.

2.) Each site has a new login page of the form login.itsdomainname. This is the proper place to login to that game, and where you should access all UserDB functionality. Anything you do on the main Skotos users pages will no longer be reflected. Yes, that means you should be using the new pages to update your accounts, purchase months of play, and purchase subscriptions. Credit card payments are no longer possible, but Paypal is.

3.) Skotos is still running the games as of this moment, but they'll be transferred to the individual teams by this time next month.

4.) We've had some problems with credit cards continuing to run on the older UserDB system. We've refunded any bills that went through on the main system following the split, and apologize for the inconvenience. The plan is to turn the old UserDB off tomorrow, so that will absolutely stop the bills at this point. If you were accidentally billed, do note both that the amount was refunded the same day AND it isn't reflected on the new systems. [And as of Monday morning, those old charges seem to have been halted entirely.]

5.) We've discovered that about 20 accounts have credits of various amounts of them. This is a concept that is no longer supported in any meaningful way on the new UserDB, so we'll convert those credits to days of play at the most generous ratio.
See more
See less

Auto 5's and rogues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto 5's and rogues?

Lately, with all the increased bandit and MEGA ROGUE spawns that have been happening across the game world, the old conversation has come back into the spot light: Auto 5's.

Curious, how my toon can go up to the ravines and fight Rogues/Ruffians all day long, battling back hordes with some danger, but not instant 'I win button' pushed, but now walking down the road I get auto critted by every single rogue and ruffian that spawns. Yesterday, during the event push of mindless NPCs attacking, I had a ruffian hitting me harder than the Cineran Marines or the BHC. How is this thrilling game play? How is this remotely interesting? The entire point of training up your skills to levels to be able to handle packs at a time is there is an end game you can reach for PVE.

Now we can continue to scream 'realism' but this isn't RL. This is a damn video game. A texted based video game. We shouldn't have literal years of training turned to crap because of lazy combat fixes. Danger is still present every time you have normal large scale battles. Having feinting NPCs, massive amounts of combatants, impaling, etc coupled with lower level fighters entering the fray and higher ranked players having to discard layers of defense [I.E. unwielding to drag out unconscious lower level players] creates a sense of danger and exhaustion. Putting in NPC level Ciaran/Syden auto 5 spawns is.....lazy. It's disappointing.. it's pointless.

Judging from my encounters with these NPC MEGA ROGUES, it would seem that they had their RB altered so they have:
    1) UNGODLY Ranks and stats.. Like higher than 20k.
    2) Their RB modified so their attacks are RB'd as if they were in berserk and their defenses RB'd so they are in defensive.
    3) There should be literally no reason why my toon 1 v 1 should have 95's and the rogue 5's BUT still feintable?
    4) You can easily Feint rogues, which would suggest that they are in wary or defensive stance yet their offensive RB would suggest that these rogues are berserking.

GMs: You've been doing so well with all of the interactions IG and the constant various supply of intriguing story arcs. Don't ruin it with lazy combat mechanics and bullshit auto 5's.

Been facing them for a bit, yes it stinks. But not unbeatable all of the auto five npcs have giant holes that are exploitable by different weapons. My beef is instant stand ups and retreats.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Need to work with others in a coherent group...having a strategy helps

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Bubba View Post
        Need to work with others in a coherent group...having a strategy helps
        That is hardly the issue. Strategy to take them down isn't the issue. The issue is literal walking Ereals, when grouped up, can take out anyone at any time with one unlucky insta crit.

Auto 5's and ungodly skills/stats of run of the milll mass spawned NPCs is terrible game play regardless how you cut it.

Comment

I admit, I didn't realize I was going into GM-spawned bandits, and was surprised when my defenses went from wary/95's to wary/17's. A bit of a shock.
          Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

I took a massive beating yesterday feinting ruffians that instant retreat over and over facepunch
            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Catuluscaesar View Post
              I admit, I didn't realize I was going into GM-spawned bandits, and was surprised when my defenses went from wary/95's to wary/17's. A bit of a shock.
              I actually @feedbacked that the difficulty shift when the hordes are spawned is a bit obnoxious. Like, it's nice they're doing in game stuff, but dial the auto-fives and super bandits back a bit.
              Originally posted by Mast3rmind
              Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
              Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
              Ravenlark pats you.
              Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Hey Folks,
                I'll look into this, as the groups that have been spawning SHOULD only have one higher-skilled NPC in them (and even then, should cap at a certain multiplier of their standard ranks). Given I've seen a couple other incidents of odd math lately, I wouldn't be surprised if something's off by a factor somewhere.
                GM Scolve

Comment

The auto 5s are annoying, but feints followed by CC solves the issue. The only thing that sucks is trying to figure out which one the super bandit is when 3-4 of them have the same description.

Comment

I'm gonna be the odd one out and say that I like that there's a non-obvious super bandit in the pack. It makes it far less boring to have to actually pay attention to identify which one is the megabandit, and then have to actually talk to your group members to coordinate a takedown. (i.e. Vladmir gasps, "Ereai' that jug-eared one packs a punch!") Before, when the strategy was "kill the intimidating/massive/roided" one first, that felt rather mechanical and boring.

For folks getting facerolled - remember that uberbandits (unlike Docks spawn in certain stages of the fight) are uber feintable, even by yourself. Be patient and time your feints just right.

I'd love to see more intricate NPC group mechanics, along the same lines. Like, one bandit seems to give the other ones a bonus and shouts encouraging things. Or a glass-cannon ranged bandit is protected by melee guards, similar to archer and oaks packs mechanics that already exist. Or, even worse - one bandit seems to be able to call in reinforcements. Definitely kill him first, guyz.

Correspondingly, it'd be great if megabandits have a tiny chance of interesting loot.

Hey, Scolve - would GMs be interested in a thread with player generated loot suggestions? Short, long descriptions, tiny flair items, etc?

Overall, it'd be nice to see less massive numbers but more interesting opponents - chasing the same ole spawn x200 has diminishing returns when it comes to getting folks motivated to fite.

Comment

Originally posted by Scolve View Post
                      Hey Folks,
                      I'll look into this, as the groups that have been spawning SHOULD only have one higher-skilled NPC in them (and even then, should cap at a certain multiplier of their standard ranks). Given I've seen a couple other incidents of odd math lately, I wouldn't be surprised if something's off by a factor somewhere.
                      I feel this would help considerably, and can verify that at least during the caravan fight there were multiple Krypton Bandits in play at the same time.

(i.e. Vladmir gasps, "Ereai' that jug-eared one packs a punch!")
                      Yes. That's precisely how he would phrase it.

Originally posted by Elowynn
                      I'd love to see more intricate NPC group mechanics, along the same lines. Like, one bandit seems to give the other ones a bonus and shouts encouraging things. Or a glass-cannon ranged bandit is protected by melee guards, similar to archer and oaks packs mechanics that already exist.
                      You're saying you want NPC Mob Bards? Like make one a little wimpier, but he riles everyone else up?
                      Originally posted by Mast3rmind
                      Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                      Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                      Ravenlark pats you.
                      Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Originally posted by Vladmir View Post

I feel this would help considerably, and can verify that at least during the caravan fight there were multiple Krypton Bandits in play at the same time.
                        The initial caravan group had multiple supers, I think. A whole slew of them had 5s, and, without feinting, we had 95s on all of them. After about 10 or so were dead, more spawned that were a mix of regulars and supers.

Comment

I haven't fought many bandits in the past because it gets pretty mindless. But I like these new groups better. The make ya think on timing attacks and on who. You can't just turn on your bandit script and go at it.
                          TRproclaim power!

Originally posted by Armataan
                          Did I just get told Synodia was a better RPed character than Culexus?
                          Originally posted by Bucaria
                          The player of Synodia should be made a GM, he seems to have no favorites and hates everyone equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Elowynn View Post
                            I'm gonna be the odd one out and say that I like that there's a non-obvious super bandit in the pack. It makes it far less boring to have to actually pay attention to identify which one is the megabandit, and then have to actually talk to your group members to coordinate a takedown. (i.e. Vladmir gasps, "Ereai' that jug-eared one packs a punch!") Before, when the strategy was "kill the intimidating/massive/roided" one first, that felt rather mechanical and boring.

For folks getting facerolled - remember that uberbandits (unlike Docks spawn in certain stages of the fight) are uber feintable, even by yourself. Be patient and time your feints just right.
                            This is part of the motivation behind having the single mega-bandit in the groups. Incidentally, I've been working on making these new groups spawn based on nearby PCs, in a similar manner to the Arena, so that they're relatively challenging for any particular group of players, so the math may be wonky over the next couple weeks as I tune this. I'll be requesting feedback at random from players of various skill levels while pursuing this.

I'd love to see more intricate NPC group mechanics, along the same lines. Like, one bandit seems to give the other ones a bonus and shouts encouraging things. Or a glass-cannon ranged bandit is protected by melee guards, similar to archer and oaks packs mechanics that already exist. Or, even worse - one bandit seems to be able to call in reinforcements. Definitely kill him first, guyz.
                            This is a pretty big investment compared to a lot of the other stuff I've been working on regarding bandits, but is definitely doable. Trying to make things more dynamic and interesting, and keep a real threat without just roflstomping over characters has been part of the plan here.

Correspondingly, it'd be great if megabandits have a tiny chance of interesting loot.

Hey, Scolve - would GMs be interested in a thread with player generated loot suggestions? Short, long descriptions, tiny flair items, etc?

Overall, it'd be nice to see less massive numbers but more interesting opponents - chasing the same ole spawn x200 has diminishing returns when it comes to getting folks motivated to fite.
                            Another thing I'm working on, higher-risk-higher-reward in these groups. The archers, in particular, now have a chance of non-standard arrows now, though they also USE those arrows after a few shots. The higher ranked spear users may have a non-wooden spear, as well.

As far as a player thread with loot suggestions, I'll post and sticky in the Mechanics forum for that.
                            GM Scolve

Comment

I would suggest less frequent spawn, but more interesting/unique/challenging opponents. Goodness, I think some players haven't slept in days. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X