Stats explination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats explination

I would like to say I understand the 'find out in game' reference, please no one reply with that. When asking people to spend real life money on something, an explanation is required, or the purchase will not occur. Also, for many of these how in the world would you ever find this out in game?

Agility: Provides a +1 to defense for every 2 ranks, provides bonus to agility checks IG.
    Appearance: Provides a bonus to purchasing and selling price.
    Charisma: Same as appearance? I know I am wrong, I don't know what else though.
    Dexterity: provides a bonus to non combat skills. "Sets the characters baseline attack bonus?" Is that the +1 to attack for every two points of dexterity? Determines the chance of critical hits.
    Empathy: Affects your character's ability to work with pets. I have a sneaking suspicion this does more than pets alone.
    Endurance: Sets maximum HP. Sets maximum fatigue? Determines how quickly your hp and fatigue are restored?
    Judgement: Sets the number of skill slots on character creation. There is something else here, I don't know what though. Increases the change to gleam SP from watching another player?
    Memory: Sets how many languages and tailoring recipes you can know. This is my speculation, provides a bonus to the SP that can be easily earned each training cycle.
    Perfection: provides a +1 bonus to attack for every 4 points. At some points allows you to see in less than perfect light. Determines how far you can see with a scan. Provides a bonus to the search command. Provides a bonus to noticing hidden characters.
    Reasoning: provides a bonus to learning new languages. Provides a bonus to many IG challenges?
    Speed: Determines round time for every activity. +1 to defense for every 4 points or is it combat dodges?
    Strength: Provides a bonus to damage. Determines base carry weight. Add a minor bonus to attack +1 for every 10 ranks. Determines how effective your critical hit is, or is it the damage bonus the critical provides? Provides a bonus to arm wrestling.
    Willpower: Decrease penalty from fight with less than full health. Lessens the chance you opponent can get a critical hit against you?

You must use an affiliated skill to increase appearance, charisma, empathy, judgement, memory, and reasoning? There is speculation that there is a way to increase memory, reasoning and judgement in the library?
    With that in mind, my primary character has taken a lot of language lessons. I have never noticed a stat increase. Not that it hasn't happened, I am press up enter than go do a few minutes worth of work when learning languages. I could be failing to notice the increases.
    Have people notices an increase to appearance from tailoring? Empathy increases from working with pets? Memory or judgement increases from reading?

Filling in any blank spots would help.

Numbers are not needed or even really wanted. Just an explanation of what every stat actually does.

I would just like to echo the sentiments about "FInd out IG" for any discussion of stat modifiers/calculations. None of these actually exist in-game, so the place to discuss them is right here.
    Those who are afraid of the dark have never seen what the light can do.

Comment

I'll give my two cents. As always, my "knowledge" is often wrong on many points, so I just stamp everything I say with, "I could be wrong"

Agility: You're correct. Bear in mind, for all the stats that give flat bonuses to combat (Dex/Agil/Spd/Str/Perc), these bonuses are flat and don't change regardless of rank or stance. So 60 points into dex gives you +30 to hit, even in defensive at rank 1 (or rank 0 for that matter).
      Appearance: I think you're correct
      Charisma: I think you're correct
      Dexterity: Correct, pretty much everything you do with your hands gets this same +1 per 2 ranks bonus, such as pickpocketing, but not something like ground apporach. Unsure on quick grab, but I would think so.
      Empathy: I think you're correct
      Endurance: Sets Maximum hp and fatigue correct. While it doesn't seem to directly affect how quickly you regen hp/health, it seems to -effectively- do so for fatigue as regen ticks seem to be percentage based. So 1% for max endurance may mean twice as many swings than someone with average endurance. Doesn't seem to affect hp this way though, as with a 200hp char it seems to take twice as long to recover as my 100hp char, so seems to be linear hp regen.
      Judgement: Don't know
      Memory: Don't know
      Perfection: Mostly correct, the main thing with perception is it gives a bonus to literally ALL rolls, regardless of combat or non combat. I noticed this with things like palm and street approach and tested it to be true for literally every single roll I could do. Was mainly easy to test with a person with night owl, as your success for stuff changes by 20 points between night and day, which is the 40 point perception swing that happens.
      Reasoning: Don't know, some say it helps with SP gain, but I'd imagine this is a minimal effect
      Speed: Correct, as mentioned earlier, the +1 to defense if a flat increase in the success for the attacker, it doesn't modify your dodge rank bonus
      Strength: I believe correct except for crit quality. My max dex knifer seems to get far better crits than my max strength stat skill dex character.
      Willpower: This is one I'd like to know more about. Some say it decreases crit quality/chance on you, some say it reduces damage taken directly, some say it reduces stun times, some say it reduces magic damage taken, some say it reduces fatigue penalty when attacking at low health, some say it reduces chances of "twinging" when you have a badly injured body part, which saves fatigue, some say it reduces the to-hit penalty from being at low hp........ in the end lots of people have made lots of claims on this, but I don't know any that are for-sure.

Comment

physical attributes help with physical stuff
        mental attributes help with mental stuff
        social attributes help with social stuff
        all stats except social stats have a method of improving them through skill use, never seen anything go up in the library.
        and yes, empathy does more than pets, it's also part of the price calculation for brokers.
        And no, you can learn ALL the languages, there's no restriction based on a stat, stats just help you actually not get frustrated and give up because you're always rolling a 95.

Comment

Seems like I remember having an extra skill slot on a high memory roll once. Anyone else have this happen? I know it has a huge effect on language base success as well.

Reasoning seemed to move the SP cap for min gains slightly, like 10-15 points. There are far too many moving parts with this system to know if that's legit or not.

Most of the mental stats come into play in outdoors or locksmithing now. It seems like Tale is making an effort to make mentals great again.

Willpower, endurance and strength all seemed to change the number of push-ups my character could do. There are a ton of other silly mechanics like this that stats will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
            Willpower: This is one I'd like to know more about. Some say it decreases crit quality/chance on you, some say it reduces damage taken directly, some say it reduces stun times, some say it reduces magic damage taken, some say it reduces fatigue penalty when attacking at low health, some say it reduces chances of "twinging" when you have a badly injured body part, which saves fatigue, some say it reduces the to-hit penalty from being at low hp........ in the end lots of people have made lots of claims on this, but I don't know any that are for-sure.
            I had often heard claims that Willpower affects hide and sneak success, however I tested it recently and determined that claim to be untrue. Willpower might still affect the hidden roll that determines if you stumble out of hiding, or the hidden roll that determines whether someone finds you when searching, since those rolls are not visible and can't be easily tested.
            [Success: 5, Roll: 96] Wombat curls his wrist into a tight loop, causing his short whip to snap out at you! A loud, deafening *CRACK* sounds as his piece of dental floss strikes the air before your face, right in front of an eye!

Vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantraste View Post
              Seems like I remember having an extra skill slot on a high memory roll once. Anyone else have this happen? I know it has a huge effect on language base success as well.
              Your starting skill slots number does seem to be affected by a mental stat, I believe memory.

Comment

Starting skill slots are determined by your reasoning.
                Last edited by hereagain; 10-30-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

So, I've heard people say there are ways IG to up charisma, but I have yet to find out what these are. FOIG is fine and all, but a solid hint would be much appreciated.

Comment

here's your solid hint... no there isn't. (maybe booze, but that's temporary)

Comment

Originally posted by ToothlessRebel View Post
                      Your starting skill slots number does seem to be affected by a mental stat, I believe memory.
                      Was able to verify it is judgement. My character with high judgement has 5 slots.

Comment

it's reasoning... high reasoning would give you six slots.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                          I could buy that. It seems like whenever I roll pretty good memory I tend to get pretty good mental stats across the board. Hadn't considered that it might be the others because memory... knowing how to do stuff... but there are a lot less obvious connections in TEC!

Comment

Originally posted by Carib View Post
                            I had often heard claims that Willpower affects hide and sneak success, however I tested it recently and determined that claim to be untrue. Willpower might still affect the hidden roll that determines if you stumble out of hiding, or the hidden roll that determines whether someone finds you when searching, since those rolls are not visible and can't be easily tested.
                            About 60 percent sure it has an effect on killing blow. Back when I had a character with low CMs and KB at 1, I had a difficulty of like, 6 or something. Went to the courses, got a willpower improvement, and as I was tooling around in the grasslands later, I killed a fluvitur and the difficulty had dropped.

This was years ago, didn't think of testing it as that's not usually my thing. Possible I could have gotten another attribute improvement, but I remember being frustrated that the only one I'd got was willpower that day. Was trying to agility or something. Not that useful, but it's possibly something it directly affects.
                            Originally posted by Mast3rmind
                            Celtor and Vladmir combined are like the Legion of Doom. Or maybe the wondertwins, although I'd be worried if Celtor was as furry as Vladmir. *nods sagely*
                            Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
                            Ravenlark pats you.
                            Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                              Not saying you are wrong, just hoping to figure this out.

These are my five characters.
                              3 skill slots
                              Altene, missile weapons: Judgement: average, Reasoning: slightly above average, Memory: Above Average

5 skill slots
                              Cineran, Knives: Judgement: good, Reasoning: Good, Memory: Very Good

4 Skill slot
                              Altene, brawler: Judgement: Above Average, Reasoning: Good, Memory: Very Good

4 skill slots
                              Iridinian, Locksmith: Judgement: Fairly Good, Reasoning: Fairly Good, Memory: Above Average

4 Skill slots
                              Altene, healer: Judgement: Slightly Above Average, Reasoning: Above Average, Memory: Slightly above average

By this data the second and third spots show judgement determines skill slots.
                              If you are seeing a boost from reasoning, I bet both provide bonus slots at certain steps. It looks like judgement provides one at above average and good. Maybe reasoning provides on at Very good?

If you happen to still have the character mind checking out the judgement vs reasoning?

Comment

Working...
                              X