Gladii

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladii

since there is already a topic about sweeps/staves and goats. How would you round/fix gladii?
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Remove the openings for failed attacks for Avros and Nelsor. Outside of that, they are pretty solid.

Comment

Weren't those openings added as a way to balance out that swords have better blocks than other shield partnered weapons? Isn't that why you no longer leave openings with nelsor when wielding with two hands? (Which bugs me since the stance is described as 'crouches forward and spreads his arms wide, his gladius held horizontal towards one side.')

If that's the case then does pardelian, which uses a wall shield, have openings too?

Comment

Originally posted by hereagain View Post
        Weren't those openings added as a way to balance out that swords have better blocks than other shield partnered weapons? Isn't that why you no longer leave openings with nelsor when wielding with two hands? (Which bugs me since the stance is described as 'crouches forward and spreads his arms wide, his gladius held horizontal towards one side.')

If that's the case then does pardelian, which uses a wall shield, have openings too?
        When Japes was making combat changes, some players were approached with suggestions. I'm the guilty party for suggesting this one. It was my idea to have all "highly bonused" and "high risk" attacks leave openings when blocked or dodged. I brought up Avros as an example of a skillset that had a lot of easy to land attacks and attacks that have game breaking possibilities kept in check by the fact that they would leave openings if you missed. I suggested it as a way to balance other sets that were OP at the time and mentioned Nelsor, since the majority of the a la carte swordsmen at the time (including myself) mainly had a rotation of the highly bonused Nelsor attacks and the Avros attacks that were less risky. I was hoping that these changes would come to all weapons with similar attacks making it a risk vs reward thing... but nope, never happened. Then a few days later the shield requirements became a thing, taking swords from king of the hill, to just another weapon.

On the positive side, I got the trident stepping attacks nerfed after 1 night in the battle arena. It would have made them the most broken skill set in the game hands down.

Comment

Remove the shield requirements and openings and it might compete against staves that does not need sub skills to be viable

Comment

Only the following moves should leave openings: Lightning thrust, kicking slash, forced thrust

These moves have a particular advantage I wont detail that requires the opening as a balance

Comment

I think my frustration is non sub skill gladii is subpar, needing an entire shield plus acm plus avros nelsor pard vs staves Spears acms and even then one sweepstrike makes me sob

Comment

To me it seams that later weapons do not require a sub skill. Did the game start with knives and swords?
                For example axe stepping leg strike quired 120 ranks in other moves. That is still WAY better than requiring another skill set! Not even close.
                What I mean to say is perhaps absorb nelsor and the other two into swords.
                Maybe require less fatigue for a sword vs other staves and axes for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
                  Remove the shield requirements and openings and it might compete against staves that does not need sub skills to be viable
                  Unfortunately, I think unless combat as a whole is going to get a revamp (lulz) the shield requirement will likely remain. It's the main thing stopping it from going back to just Glad users cherry-picking the best moves. While I do think it does take a considerable more time/sp to achieve with multiple skillsets, the amount of scripters IG also make me feel that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to just have everyone learning Nelsor/Avros/Pard again.

And staves are pretty OP right now. I think fixing them is a better focus than trying to bring all other weapons up to compete with them in OPness.
                  A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
                  A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
                  A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
                    Only the following moves should leave openings: Lightning thrust, kicking slash, forced thrust

These moves have a particular advantage I wont detail that requires the opening as a balance
                    Believe I'd add strike and smash to this list. I also kind of like the random fumble possibility of rapid strike balancing the speed of the move, but Avros needs a little more love.

Comment

Avros, minus the openings and inconsistent needle strike, Avros is in a really good place. It's really good at handling NPCs, and one of the better close combat group fighting skills... which is ironic considering it's supposed to be a dueling style. Smash, when landed is the best crowd control move in the game and you can spam needle strike, stab and slash and rapid strike to farm NPCs without having to rotate. In PvP it sucks rapid strike is the only move that will reliably land at higher levels, so you're just basic swords with an extra chop and flailing defense is too slow to do anything outside of troll. Sunrise is more of a novelty, since it only replicates cross block, overlaps on some rounding block coverage and only one attack that would be normally covered by low block.

Comment

Working...
                      X