Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Questions for the Oldbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for the Oldbies

I figured I'd make a thread for questions the staff comes up with that might only be answerable by the older players. Usually dealing with long-ago events, lore, systems no longer in use, etc. So, let's start off with one that's been niggling the back of my brain for a while:

Does anyone remember all the (detailed) steps needed for the old Blackvine Road construction, by chance?

I vaguely recall somehow chopping trees in certain places, digging a ditch with a shovel, filling the ditch with sand (no idea where you got the sand), then gravel, then laying cobblestones with a mallet? Pretty sure an iron spike was used for something as well at some point in the process? But yeah, I've got no idea what the commands were, or the fine details.

I'm trying to notate the old code so it can be replicated in the future easily, but with no notes from the creators of said code, I've basically got to reverse engineer the instructions and I could use some help from those who remember it more clearly than I. There are over 80 blocks of code (some of it...very large) that is involved with the process, and it's all scattered across tools, rooms, commands, etc. So just 'reading the code and figuring it out' is not easily done. Just a simple step-by-step from the player side of things would help me track down what I'm looking for much easier.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Originally posted by Tale View Post
    I figured I'd make a thread for questions the staff comes up with that might only be answerable by the older players. Usually dealing with long-ago events, lore, systems no longer in use, etc. So, let's start off with one that's been niggling the back of my brain for a while:

Does anyone remember all the (detailed) steps needed for the old Blackvine Road construction, by chance?

I vaguely recall somehow chopping trees in certain places, digging a ditch with a shovel, filling the ditch with sand (no idea where you got the sand), then gravel, then laying cobblestones with a mallet? Pretty sure an iron spike was used for something as well at some point in the process? But yeah, I've got no idea what the commands were, or the fine details.

I'm trying to notate the old code so it can be replicated in the future easily, but with no notes from the creators of said code, I've basically got to reverse engineer the instructions and I could use some help from those who remember it more clearly than I. There are over 80 blocks of code (some of it...very large) that is involved with the process, and it's all scattered across tools, rooms, commands, etc. So just 'reading the code and figuring it out' is not easily done. Just a simple step-by-step from the player side of things would help me track down what I'm looking for much easier.

I was way off, but I found the commands in an old post:

Originally posted by braelynne View Post
    Just in case you all weren't aware, I thought I'd offer a list of commands for the road crew.

To dig the ditches as the basis of the road:
    Have a shovel in hand and 'dig'

To gather sand:
    Have a shovel in hand and an oiled burlap sack on the ground and 'dig'

To gather gravel:
    Have a coarse burlap sack on the ground, a spike and a mallet in hand and 'wield mallet'

To chop down trees:
    Wield an axe and 'wave axe'

To lay cobblestones:
    Just 'drop cobblestone'

If I'm missing anything, feel free to add.
    I seem to remember having to buy something expensive too, pretty sure it was the cobblestones. I can't recall where the shop was though or who the shopkeeper was.
    Last edited by Baleron; 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM. Reason: Edit for bad info, but corrected now
    Got Questions? We've got answers!
    Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
    Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
    Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

To dig the ditches as the basis of the road:
      Have a shovel in hand and 'dig'

To gather sand:
      Have a shovel in hand and an oiled burlap sack on the ground and 'dig'

To gather gravel:
      Have a coarse burlap sack on the ground, a spike and a mallet in hand and 'wield mallet'

To chop down trees:
      Wield an axe and 'wave axe'

To lay cobblestones:
      Just 'drop cobblestone'

fight off player npc rogues, swear alot cause it took an hour plus to do one square, repeat
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

What year IG did TEC begin?

Comment

Thanks Baleron& Kered! That's very helpful.

Seems like the sand and gravel gathering mechanics have been lost to the aather, so I'll put remaking those on my list so I can put a how-to file on GM land for if/when we decide to do another player-driven road project. Probably add some tracking code as well so we can honor the prolific road builders in the future with plaques or something. I'm a nerd (Random Tale Factoid - I like polishing old systems and making them more versatile and easier to re-use and implement in the future when the need arrises).
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Maybe once you clean that up you could use the same mechanics to build a ship? Like say a second ship to Franilus.

Comment

Just wanted to say big fat kudos to Tale for this thread.I absolutely love the direction you're working in, and I look forward to you attempting a spin on stuff like the recipe creation system!
              Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
              I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
              Originally posted by Phwoar
              Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
              Originally posted by Elowynn
              Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Are we building a road to RV and Franlius!?!!?

Comment

RV has a road already and Franlius is an island

Comment

Franlius is a land-locked coastal border town between the Republic and Cinera and is on the same continent as Iridine.
                    The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.
                    Keep on keepin' on, can ya dig it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ellingson View Post
                      RV has a road already and Franlius is an island
                      Not one you can walk with forests and bandits.

Imagine a massive new road with more forests and areas to explore... No safe route to/from RV. New -very- lucrative but -very- dangerous caravans with barbarians jumping out from the woodline, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

Comment

Ah okie, yeah I can get hella down with this, those trips are so boring to make. It would be awesome to have pirates or a warship try to attack the ship to Fran too

Comment

Kered is prepared to build more roads
                          "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

I've always thought a road to Monlon would be fun, mostly because I want to visit Darpen lol.
                            The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.
                            Keep on keepin' on, can ya dig it?

Comment

I remember when I first started playing TEC back when the earth was still cooling and got irate because there was a limit out past Vetallun. My dull teenage brain thought you should be able to walk to all of these far away places instead of having to take a dumb ladder. Pretty sure I rage deleted that explorer.

Comment

Working...
                              X