Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

Questions for the Oldbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tale
    started a topic Questions for the Oldbies

Questions for the Oldbies

I figured I'd make a thread for questions the staff comes up with that might only be answerable by the older players. Usually dealing with long-ago events, lore, systems no longer in use, etc. So, let's start off with one that's been niggling the back of my brain for a while:

Does anyone remember all the (detailed) steps needed for the old Blackvine Road construction, by chance?

I vaguely recall somehow chopping trees in certain places, digging a ditch with a shovel, filling the ditch with sand (no idea where you got the sand), then gravel, then laying cobblestones with a mallet? Pretty sure an iron spike was used for something as well at some point in the process? But yeah, I've got no idea what the commands were, or the fine details.

I'm trying to notate the old code so it can be replicated in the future easily, but with no notes from the creators of said code, I've basically got to reverse engineer the instructions and I could use some help from those who remember it more clearly than I. There are over 80 blocks of code (some of it...very large) that is involved with the process, and it's all scattered across tools, rooms, commands, etc. So just 'reading the code and figuring it out' is not easily done. Just a simple step-by-step from the player side of things would help me track down what I'm looking for much easier.

• ArchMagi
    replied
    great news Tale

Leave a comment:

• Syden
    replied
    We found gravel. You are a cruel cruel man, Tale.

Leave a comment:

• Tale
    replied
    Technically, you can do all the steps now to build the road. The How-To guide will be released after Sunday's event, but feel free having fun doing your best with no guide until then. I did fix the gravel sacks, btw.

Only hint I'll give you for now: instead of using "dig" to fill sand/gravel sacks, try the new "shovel" command. Cool points for the first person to figure out where you can collect gravel unaided.

Leave a comment:

• ArchMagi
    replied
    I was more referring to the things that aren't actually released, go ahead, dig.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    "This is the most exciting mundane-mind-numbing activity I've ever done in this game. "
    Best part of it, anyone can be doing this, zero ranks involved, building part of the game brings together people, I hung out with folks Kered would rarely see IG tonight and we dug the shit of the road as well , more to come!

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeCP
    replied
    Are you kidding me?

This is the most exciting mundane-mind-numbing activity I've ever done in this game. I've never been a part of history like this in this game before. And I've missed all of the content updates save for QH. I'm digging the f*** out of this road.

Hahaha.

Leave a comment:

• ArchMagi
    replied
    by the way, You all should stop working on the road till it's completely released.

Leave a comment:

• Dark997895
    replied
    Tale's tease of excitement catches fire.

Leave a comment:

• Knowless
    replied
    Originally posted by Launrentinus View Post
    Also near the bridge one of the ditch squares echos (The ditch seems to be deep enough) when I dig. If I go east a few squares and sucessfully dig up to about 25 times I do not receive that echo.
    That means that the ditch is deep enough in that section, move on to a new one. Each section requires 100 digs.

Leave a comment:

• Launrentinus
    replied
    When I try to empty the (oiled burlap sack filled with lots of sand), my echo is (There is insufficient sand in this sack).
    Damn it is 157 pounds of sand...
    This road is gotta be made with mule backers. I don't know how others are going to do it.

Also near the bridge one of the ditch squares echos (The ditch seems to be deep enough) when I dig. If I go east a few squares and sucessfully dig up to about 25 times I do not receive that echo.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    There’s a shop in Vet as well FYI that sells the supplies, where are you road building I look forward to it after work

Leave a comment:

• Launrentinus
    replied
    Pirris is the shop to buy supplies from.
    Heads up, You can only get a coarse burlap sack from his desk if there are two on it and you [get 2 sack from desk].
    Get sack from desk gives me 'you can't get that from here'

Ahhh I am so taking a work break day! Loving this! At work, but I am building text roads instead!

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Which store there arevtwo

Leave a comment:

• ArchMagi
    replied
    I've sucessfully gathered 7 bags of sand.
    The gravel sacks are completely broken, and no idea where to get gravel anyway.
    Siddhe was apparently watching, since those gravel bags are so broken they were spamming errors, so... that's where to get sand and how. If you can find the code I was accessing, that's where that is. If you didn't rewrite that.

Also the store doesn't sell the spikes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X