Ohs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this silly and very simple.

Initially, no weapons had stances and minimal extra/hidden bonuses.

Then swords got a style(s), which added significant bonuses. The good ol' days of Rizer, Calgar, Ibios, etc? IMO the balance back then was that these styles required a whole new skill slot, making training take longer, also most of the style skills were average/difficult/impossible so although the bonus to-hit it made it possible to land these moves at high-end combat, it wasn't -insanely- overpowering. Yes, some styles initially had huge benefits (see Pard Hidden Thrust) but those were definitely toned down.

NOW the issue, in my opinion, is that styles (more specifically to-hit bonuses) have been expanded to all other weapons, these other weapons receive all the perks (e.g. to-hit bonuses to most moves, including easy ones) but without the main drawbacks of needing additional slots. So what will likely translate into maybe 20% more SP (e.g. spending 6 SP instead of 5 on easy skills) required to train sword than other skillsets to receive the same benefit. Does it mean that they can't compete at high-end PVP? No. I understand the main concern being that for 20% more SP, there should be some perceived benefit.

A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
    A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
    A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Then there's the bigger overall topic of "Combat Balance" which is not specific to OHS.

It's all perspective and comes down to what you consider "balanced". Some people will think that Staves are balanced, but that Swords (or whatever) need a boost. Some will think that Swords are balanced, but Staves need toning down.

I think what we should work towards is a situation where (for approx. the same TCR or SP Spent):
      Weapon A > Weapon B > Weapon C > Weapon A.
      I think it would be awesome if each weapon has its own strengths and weaknesses. Pros and cons.

Unfortunately, due to how combat mechanics work, historically anything that can reliably (temporarily) remove your opponents' defences just ends up being OP (e.g. flick feint, Ankle trap, sweeps). It would be nice if more options for partial reductions were available. (10%, 25%, etc.) instead of all-or-nothing.

A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
      A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
      A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Not knowing a great deal of weapon mechanics in this game. I still would like to throw my opinion out.

Swords won vs northern trides because they were a stabbing weapon. Coupled with shield for defence. This meant it took far less energy than an axe. Though the same is true for.a spear in a phalanx.

Maybe reduce the fatigue drain from a sword?
        Make it a kill all day weapon?

Comment

Iíd like this idea I also use swords so Iím a bit biased. Instead of a damage boost, which I donít think OHS needs there should be some reward for all the extra sp investment.

A couple if quick ideas
          Fatigue drain reduction like you suggested

Boost to specific defenses ie Base block, which prevents weapon traps.

Every weapon has a stance bonus, which just changes the playing field higher. While Iím not a fan for continuing the trend it would be nice if you had a synergy bonus if you either wielded a sword two handed or sword and shield. I know two hand gives bonus to strength. But just something different or extra for rewarding the time commitment would be nice.

i also think other skills should split out their styles ie spears and then given the same treatment.

Comment

Working...
          X