New Trait Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trait Suggestions

National bonuses are going through review, and current traits are being tweaked, but in the meantime I wanted to share with you a list of new trait suggestions staff has complied. These have all been coded & tested for functionality and how they stack with other traits for balance.

Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

NEUTRALS
    Mobile Skirmisher: Character receives a scaling bonus to defense when carrying light loads.

POSITIVES
    Muscle Memory: Vastly reduced fumble rate.
    Acrobat's Edge: Significant bonus to dodging.
    Wrestler: Character receives no penalty to agility or speed for sitting, kneeling, laying.
    Granite Grip: Slight bonus to strength, and character can carry cumbersome objects in one hand.
    Ravenous Hunger: Character deals more damage in combat, and even more when hungry or starving.
    Battlefield Awareness: Character can recognize feints more quickly and regain their defenses.

NEGATIVES
    Bum Knee: Running drains the character's health points as well as fatigue.
    Malevolent Shadow: Character's dark side whispers evil things to them periodically and gives them a slight, temporary penalty to defense.
    Absent Minded: Character has a periodic chance to drop held items without knowing it.

Interesting, a few of these have caught my eye. Now I can not wait to see what will happen to the current traits.

Comment

A few initial thoughts:

NEUTRALS
      Mobile Skirmisher: Character receives a scaling bonus to defense when carrying light loads.

Comments: I would suggest removing it from traits altogether and giving it to everyone. By giving it to everyone, you encourage everyone to (probably) need to build a light armor set - or at least, just to have it on hand.

Suggestion: The bonus to defense should not be scaling. It should be a set amount, or a couple of tiers. The reason for this is because certain weapon styles are much lighter but have disproportionately good defenses, therefore requiring less load. A scaling bonus would be a scaling penalty to shields, which feels a little harsh, given shields require skill investment, weight, carrying around the item, and other sacrifices, etc.

Edit: I'm going to agree with something Ghuan said in the Discord, and that whether or not scaling should be in place depends on the total amount of bonus possible. How much of a bonus is possible?

POSITIVES
      Muscle Memory: Vastly reduced fumble rate.

Comment: This may not really be a positive trait, as fumbling gives a bonus to the next attack that is highly useful in PVP (and some PVE.)

Acrobat's Edge: Significant bonus to dodging.

Wrestler: Character receives no penalty to agility or speed for sitting, kneeling, laying.

Comment: Possibly OP, needs testing. Just reserving thoughts here until I see it in action.

Granite Grip: Slight bonus to strength, and character can carry cumbersome objects in one hand.

Comment: I like The Mountain visual of this. Could it make it possible for characters of certain Strength thresholds to WIELD two-handed weapons in one hand??

edit: Removng suggestion to wield two handlers in one hand.

Ravenous Hunger: Character deals more damage in combat, and even more when hungry or starving.

Comment: Possibly OP, needs testing. Just reserving thoughts here until I see it in action.

Battlefield Awareness: Character can recognize feints more quickly and regain their defenses.

Comment: The wording is a little awkward. I'm not sure I understand what the effect of this trait is.

NEGATIVES

Bum Knee: Running drains the character's health points as well as fatigue.

Comment: Cool, I like this one. Very specific, good job coding it.

Malevolent Shadow: Character's dark side whispers evil things to them periodically and gives them a slight, temporary penalty to defense.

Comment: I like the idea behind it, but not the wording. Might I suggest making the wording much more ambiguous, so that it can be role-played various different ways without "feeding" the "reason" for the madness quite so directly? Something like: "Malevolent Whispers: Your mind conjures strange and mysterious thoughts periodically, which can distract you in combat." A slightly more vague description (and corresponding emotes) would be a little less heavy-handed, and encourage each character to role-play it differently. Some people hear voices. Some people have an evil shadow. Some people just get confused sometimes. Some people are cursed. Some people have daytime nightmares. Etc.

Absent Minded: Character has a periodic chance to drop held items without knowing it.

Comment: Oh, crap. This is rough. Does it apply to wielded items, too?

Overall comments: Thanks very much for working on coding entirely new traits. I look forward to hearing what else has been in the works. Nationals? Also, has there been interesting from the Staff in any of the suggested traits in previous threads?

Last edited by Elowynn; 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I think Granite grip should be renamed, Monkey's grip, like every other rpg that uses that idea, that I can think of.
        Mobile Skirmisher will make Elowynn happy.
        Acrobat's edge sounds like it better be costly.
        I'm unsure about wrestler being good
        Ravenous hunger... don't think it should provide more damage in combat if you're not hungry
        battlefield awareness... no idea.

Bum knee sounds like an easy negative to avoid... just don't run.
        Malevolent shadow sounds awesome, especially if it ACTUALLY talks to you randomly.
        Absent minded sounds like an absolutely horrible thing, especially if it drops wielded stuff as well as just held stuff.

Comment

I'm taking malevolent shadow even if I have to take a negative total. That is fricken awesome

Comment

Mobile skirmisher does seem to heavily favour skill sets with very well rounded defenses, that can get past the point of needing much armour at all.
            Can't think which that might be.

I'm liking the other ones, though it's hard to judge them without seeing their effects and frequency.
            For instance, Absent minded doesn't sound insanely horrible if it ticks every once in a while, but I've thought that about bleeder too and that turned into a shocking wake up call.

Is there any chance of additional details so we can gauge what the effects might be, so we can make an informed judgement call?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
              Malevolent shadow sounds awesome, especially if it ACTUALLY talks to you randomly.
              Give us RPs for Malevolent Shadow echoes, we'll make it happen.
              Got Questions? We've got answers!
              Join us at http://eternal-city.wikidot.com
              Top Mud Sites - http://bit.ly/VoteTEC
              Mud Connector - http://bit.ly/TECMudCon

Comment

I could so write millions of them, a cursed mind
                "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkilyn View Post
                  I'm taking malevolent shadow even if I have to take a negative total. That is fricken awesome
                  Glad you like it! We were trying to add a few more out of the box ideas, that weren't just "U R STRONG."

Comment

Turtle defense while wearing moderate to heavy armor increased defense penalty to crits.
                    Sword and board tank buff
                    Last edited by Kered; 07-15-2019, 11:54 AM.
                    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

What I feel is missing from this peek into trait suggestions is a hint of the overall “big picture” blueprint to combat, that should be guiding the combat coders. While I like some of these traits, I am not seeing any kind of dynamic addition to make builds hugely varied and competitive with one another, celebrating differences rather than all being a mash up of the same traits over and over. (Now we’ll add Wrestler, Ravenous, etc to the mix of Athletic, Adrenaline, Steady hands and shake the bag and pick at random to make Top Character Version 1, 2, 3 And 2a... Not particularly exciting.)

Could we we have a town hall with the combat person discussing what the overall vision is? That will help us focus our suggestions, too.

Additionally, I would love for there to be far, far more non-combat traits coded. I will repost the link to previous suggestions here. http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...ait-discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Siddhe View Post
                        National bonuses are going through review, and current traits are being tweaked, but in the meantime I wanted to share with you a list of new trait suggestions staff has complied. These have all been coded & tested for functionality and how they stack with other traits for balance.

Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

NEUTRALS
                        I agree with El, I would like to see this applied across all characters and builds.

POSITIVES
                        Muscle Memory: Vastly reduced fumble rate. Does this work the same as recovery?
                        Acrobat's Edge: Significant bonus to dodging. Depending on how this works I like this one.
                        Wrestler: Character receives no penalty to agility or speed for sitting, kneeling, laying. This one seems OP. Unless it was the only positive you could get then MAYBE it would be balanced. Even then I dunno.
                        Granite Grip: Slight bonus to strength, and character can carry cumbersome objects in one hand. Carrying two wagons? Two sacks full of loot? Trying to see what the benefit is here. It's neat, though.
                        Ravenous Hunger: Character deals more damage in combat, and even more when hungry or starving. This is super interesting. Maybe it needs to have something to balance though, combine it with fast metabolism where you don't gain HP or fatigue though.
                        Battlefield Awareness: Character can recognize feints more quickly and regain their defenses. These all seem like traited out stat skills or homework ranks. Will the be better than those skills? Worse? Comparable?

NEGATIVES
                        Bum Knee: Running drains the character's health points as well as fatigue. Seems interesting.
                        Malevolent Shadow: Character's dark side whispers evil things to them periodically and gives them a slight, temporary penalty to defense. This one looks awesome.
                        This one is a cool idea but no one would take it.

I want to know if you're up to having us crowdsource some of the testing in the beta room. I'm also interested to see how these play out and how they fit into the overall combat picture.

I too would like a town hall to talk about this with staff.
                        Originally posted by Arconn9
                        First time I used Sabinus today, since my old main got Cuttongued. So was the IC event for his change; was it him getting hit in the head repeatedly by someone? Because I think he's a retard now.

Comment

Ok the shadow could work.

I want it neutral though.though and could possibly give you a bonus to next attack. It's a trickster spirit. Maybe it gives you an unconscious insight into the next attack?

Really love that one though

Comment

but... it's not a trickster spirit... it's the dark side of YOU, whispering EVIL things to distract you.

Comment

Originally posted by Siddhe View Post
                              NEUTRALS
                              Mobile Skirmisher: Character receives a scaling bonus to defense when carrying light loads. Awesome.

POSITIVES
                              Muscle Memory: Vastly reduced fumble rate. This is amazing! but eliminates the bonus given by Recovery past 50. I'd take it.
                              Acrobat's Edge: Significant bonus to dodging. Love it!
                              Wrestler: Character receives no penalty to agility or speed for sitting, kneeling, laying. Busted! I'd say cut this one down to just sitting and kneeling, and leave laying (prone) with the normal penalties.
                              Granite Grip: Slight bonus to strength, and character can carry cumbersome objects in one hand. That's pretty cool! Pack Rat / Granite Grip !
                              Ravenous Hunger: Character deals more damage in combat, and even more when hungry or starving. This is an excellent RP tool as well as an amazing trait!
                              Battlefield Awareness: Character can recognize feints more quickly and regain their defenses. If this works like a natural feint awareness, this is awesome!

NEGATIVES
                              Bum Knee: Running drains the character's health points as well as fatigue. Another RP tool and awesome trait!
                              Malevolent Shadow: Character's dark side whispers evil things to them periodically and gives them a slight, temporary penalty to defense. P L E A S E let this come with actual "voices" text, or involuntary emotes your character does. A physical manifestation of this is amazing!
                              Absent Minded: Character has a periodic chance to drop held items without knowing it. This is lethal and I don't know why anyone would take it.
                              Love the work done so far on traits! A town hall to discuss player-generated ideas would be awesome too! I know there was a post for it but let's focus on the present, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X