Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

New National Lores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vladmir View Post

If they went this way, I don't see why this would be confined to knives. Yeah, it's the Cinners national weapon and all, but it probably wouldn't be any more of an affect than Parcine Battlecry, which also requires a roll, has an echo, etc, and that isn't applied only to certain weapons.

If you must confine it to "Cineran style" weapons, I'd say include any lunge involving a bladed weapon (which I think is all of the lunges anyway).
    I like that suggestion. I agree the usage is similar to Parcine Battlecry, and that was the point. It is in fact a more situational bonus than that.

---

Aestivan Signalfire Lore

Perhaps calling it Aestivan Building Lore would be more fitting, and could give a bonus to both building fires AND building shelters. it seems a shame that building shelters is left out of this revamped trait, given how closely associated Aestivans are with building.

Men and women of the Aestivan League enjoy a life of well planned order. Many travelers to their lands even feel bewilderment as each street and building is laid with repetitive lines and precise orientation. This level of order does not come naturally, and the wilds of nature must be cut back according to the engineer's plans. Aestivan scouts and surveyors take clean measurements, marking lines for builders with towering bonfires on the horizon. Whatever scrub and brush cannot be used for building materials serve a purpose lighting the way. As building something out of nothing comes naturally to you, constructing a temporary shelter out of cleared brush is child's play.

[This character can light bonfires out of suitable quantities of wooden items. This character receives a bonus to building shelters, and can use the skill untrained.]

Usage: light <group of wooden items>; build shelter

Comment

Just a small question... if I want my current character to have one of these lores, will it force me to have different traits too?

Comment

Apologies if my sentences ramble a touch. I worked my overnight last night and am still pretty exhausted.

I feel that some of the choices are very underwhelming, and the love lost on certain countries is somewhat obvious. As stated above, some of these bonuses or quirks are immediately rendered useless with either a single lesson or less than 20 ranks in a specific skill.

AESTIVA:
        What's listed actually seems like a decent option here. You have a spear throw lore which grants a continued bonus to spear throw. This bonus [hopefully something along the lines of + 5-10 to your success] isn't game breaking. It offers benefit for this particular character in a combat situation from start to end game.

Signalfire lore is interesting enough and offers ability to create bonfires [which is a very large commitment for outdoors compared to just 1 lesson to get it useable]. It also has an ability to help clear out junk IG by burning it instead of having piles of destroyed brigand shields or bandit spears. Not bad.

I would recommend some additional choice like a small bonus to fatigue gain if seated beside a bonfire. Something to actually make actively using a signal fire worth wild.

ALTENE:

I see no issue with any portion of Altene set. Small bonus pay for caravan jobs and the like is agreeable. The ability to craft and fire harden fangstaves is a solid Altene skill.

PARCINES:

I feel as though this country kind of gets the short end of the stick yet again.

Battlecry lore and Warclub lore are both underwhelming. Battlecry is a dead skillset in the current game meta. The bonus would have to be significant to be worth the wasted RT between attacks in order to have it be considered worth it.

A change to the battlecry mechanic itself might make the skill more useful as a whole, and make the idea of battlecry from a Parcine even remotely more fitting. A recommendation would be a timer set, kind of like wrist slash [i think] from CFK. If your successfully roll over for battlecry, you get a bonus to hit for x amount of time. So Battlecry [plus 5-10 for non parcines. 10-15 for Parcines] for a set amount of seconds. I would suggest 5-6 seconds. This in itself would create interest in using battlecry again and take down the entire idea of it being spammy.

Crafting a club is underwhelming and not entirely fitting. Parcines in current chargen can take either clubs or archery as a free skill, so why not bows or arrow bonus too?

But besides the point. I would recommend bonuses willpower for Parcines. Something in the regards to Prayer bonus that you get from praying in shrines, but Parcines receive it by praying in either a rocky/forestest area. I always envisioned Parcine characters as nature bound type, as in early native american types.

Comment

I agree with Vlad re: needing some tweaks to the Altene write up. I agree with Vlad's PM discussion that it suggests that if you DON'T pick this trait, you lack adherence to Altene oath lore. The mechanical effect of the proposed lore suggests something more than that - that these particular Altenes are skilled at negotiating higher pay, on top of loyalty to oaths.

Suggested write up:

Altene Oath Lore

From the common craftsman to the finest mercenaries, Altenes are raised with a stern code of honor religiously adhered to. An Altene's given word is considered an unbreakable bond. The most sacred commitment is given through ritual oath, and the word 'oathbreaker' is more than just an insult. This fealty extends to contracts with an employer, with Altene mercenaries able to command premiums to assure a patron of loyal, resolute service. You, like many of your brothers and sisters, have become particularly skilled at taking advantage of this - admittedly earned - reputation.

Comment

"Republic Country Cooking Lore
            [This character receives a bonus to Basic Camp Cooking, and can use the skill untrained.]
            Usage: cook <raw food item>

Cooking is one of the already free skills basically you are giving a free skill as a bonus?

The republic ones minus the combat guarding are really lack luster to me

Love the tea sipper one, love the spear throwing/fire burning

Iridine and parcines need love
            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Have you tried to cook without knowing the skill lately? It's hard

Comment

I have cooked with Kered and Brim who have zero ranks in outdoors, no issues low 40s

Comment

Maybe it's my abysmal empathy. I don't care if the food posions you.

Comment

Iridine overall always seems to be the lesser anything from stats to traits, imho. Asking for something not a free skill is logical

Comment

Iridine proper could have some minor bonus to trading/brokering as a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by herdias View Post
                        Iridine proper could have some minor bonus to trading/brokering as a choice.
                        Or even discounts to some things like wagon tickets, no Seneda fee when using the auction house, 1 free lottery ticket a draw, discounts on inn rooms, reduced price on hiring the NPC guards, sale times for citizens frequently at Sharonpa's, etc.
                        The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation- Only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration.

Oh doom and gloom, oh doom and gloom, the GMs are fools and do not realize what a position they have put us in. They could not possibly have thought of all of this already, for they are but tiny brained fools.
                        Keep on keepin' on, can ya dig it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stonespyder View Post

Or even discounts to some things like wagon tickets, no Seneda fee when using the auction house, 1 free lottery ticket a draw, discounts on inn rooms, reduced price on hiring the NPC guards, sale times for citizens frequently at Sharonpa's, etc.
                          I think these and other things should be tied to citizenship, not nationality. Thoughts?

Comment

If the main goal here is to add lore to the various nationalities and to make them different from one another, I would highly suggest to make them have actual mechanics tied to them that directly reflect the role-play opportunities that would arise from being from one of these nations. I know this sounds really abstract, but let me use an actual example:

---

Altene Oath Lore

From the common craftsman to the finest mercenaries, Altenes are raised with a stern code of honor which is religiously adhered to. Its tenets are few and simple: an Altene, above all else, must honor their word, employer, and people. Even considering breaking a contract is a bad thing, and the word 'oathbreaker' can and has caused tavern brawls when flung carelessly. Due to this tradition, Altenes are often well paid for their devotion to duty.

[This character receives a bonus to pay for completing some in-game missions.]

---

This is what your current Altene Oath Lore does: bonus to pay for completing in-game missions. This basic premise is interesting, but all it does is create an opportunity between PCs and NPCs to earn some more money. If it is meant to add depth to our current gameplay, would it not make sense to add special mechanics to make an Altene's Oath a mechanical possibility between players? Something that would only be possible for Altenes.

oath <target>

You move towards Siddhe, one hand placed over your chest and your hand extending towards the ground.
                            You incline your head slightly. You retain your upright posture as you place a knee firmly on the ground.
                            >character is now kneeling
                            You lift your head towards Siddhe, one hand still on your chest and place the other against the ground.

You utter a solemn promise in Altene to Siddhe.
                            You bow your head once more and adamantly regain your standing position.
                            >character is now standing

oathlist
                            >Shows you a list of people you have sworn oaths to.

---

It wouldn't really do anything else mechanically. Just a pre-written basic script, really that adds the possibility for some interesting RP, following a regular Altene protocol of sorts (the above example can be changed entirely to better fit/create new lore, it was just an example). Ideas of this kind could also be applied to other nationalities. The idea could further be built upon and could even be incorporated with NPCs to add some flavor and minor effects.

Comment

Follow up - Tuchean ruthlessness lore gives a bonus to killing blow. This... is dumb.
                              perhaps instead it should give a bonus to punch, since the lore of tuchea in the help files says they love to fist fight even though they aren't skilled brawlers.
                              Or, perhaps Tucheans should get a bonus to whittling, as they are also highly skilled artisans, who make the most anatomically correct statues in the world. And be able to whittle without knowing the skill. But with the skill, are more likely to get masterfully whittled items than someone else of equal skill
                              I do like the grog one, Tuchean immunity to disease and poison, plus can drink like a fish.

Comment

A thought I had for Gadaene is this: to add to the 'changing often/unpredictable' sentiments in help files and other resources, one potential national lore could be an increased retention of SP when unlearning skills, or reduced GSP cost when buying a completely new skillset. Additionally, or perhaps instead, I would also propose a slight bonus to appearance and charisma for a set amt of time when a Gadaene character with the lore dons a new outfit. Selfishly, I'd like to see Gadaene characters have some lore tied to bartering/brokering in line with the trait that only Gadaene characters are allowed to choose.

Comment

Working...
                                X