Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

New National Lores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving the lore enthusiasm!

I should probably point out that although not all nations have three unique 'lores' associated with them at the moment, unique skills (like the gladiator skills) are planned to be added as unique options for certain nations. So almost all the nations will have similar numbers of "unique options", even if one of those options is a skill not otherwise available in the chargen. :-p

I'll give you a theoretical example:

Cinera
    - Automatic:
    -- Cinera Dominance Lore
    - Additional Advantage (Pick 1):
    -- Cinera Silent Blade Lore
    -- Skill: Knives
    -- Skill: Cineran Knife Fighting

In that theoretical example, you'd have the option to pick up Cineran Knife Fighting right out of the chargen. This would be unique to characters of the Cineran nation and would not otherwise be possible to obtain within the chargen. So, like other nations with 3 lores, you'd get one unique perk automatically, and you'd still have two unique perks to choose from. Along with the more traditional skill option, of course.
    Game Master Tale
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

Can we expect to have some standardization across what a "bonus" vs a "penalty" is? Regular vs Significant. Or even revealing what the bonus or penalty is to avoid unexpected surprises and ensure consistency?

Right now, there are "Significant bonuses" that are like +12 points and normal "penalties" that are like -40 points. (guesstimate on number, I'd have to dig through my testing).
      A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome says to a ram in Cineran, "Oh yes, hit me now, you bad bad bad sheep."
      A woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome is stunned.
      A ram bumps roughly into a woman in a shiny boison helmet with an absurdly tall dome with its head!.

“Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
        Loving the lore enthusiasm!

I should probably point out that although not all nations have three unique 'lores' associated with them at the moment, unique skills (like the gladiator skills) are planned to be added as unique options for certain nations. So almost all the nations will have similar numbers of "unique options", even if one of those options is a skill not otherwise available in the chargen. :-p

I'll give you a theoretical example:

Cinera
        - Automatic:
        -- Cinera Dominance Lore
        - Additional Advantage (Pick 1):
        -- Cinera Silent Blade Lore
        -- Skill: Knives
        -- Skill: Cineran Knife Fighting

In that theoretical example, you'd have the option to pick up Cineran Knife Fighting right out of the chargen. This would be unique to characters of the Cineran nation and would not otherwise be possible to obtain within the chargen. So, like other nations with 3 lores, you'd get one unique perk automatically, and you'd still have two unique perks to choose from. Along with the more traditional skill option, of course.
        So you're quite literally saving yourself a whole 10-20 attacks on a freshly rolled character. That's a mighty big "advantage" when you compare to currently being able to pull Blade Mastery and either Nimble Feet or Steady Hands for free. Maybe I'm just missing the point here, but how is this anything but a nerf to the character generator?

Comment

I think you might have missed the point of this overhaul? The point is to retain national "uniqueness", while letting every nation choose from traits (which have a tangible effect on cbat and such) on equal footing.

The entire point is to prevent any traits themselves from being "free" by one nation or another, forcing people to pick those specific nation's to be "competitive". Now everyone can select all the "combat traits" at the same price, making any nation viable for a combat focused character. Aka, a Safelander would be just as viable as a Cineran in terms of combat potential, because they can select all the same traits, at the same price.
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

The initial problem was the change that allowed people to have 240 dexterity and 210 speed/agility. People were angry because this makes their max stats character have a 30-ish point disadvantage to certain trait combinations and traits have never been allowed to be re-picked. Instead of just allowing a re-pick, which would have solved most of the complaints, we're now going to implement a bunch of changes that negate training a few ranks of cooking, fire building, or combat assess.

The list of national "bonuses" seems more like changes for the sake of change rather than anything resembling progress toward balancing stats/traits/combat. The real problem of the overpowering effect of stats isn't being addressed at all. Glaring combat balance issues are not being addressed at all. The only thing resembling a fix is that there will be a system put in place to allow old characters to pick up finesse, nimble feet and steady hands. You guys could have just started there and not wasted six months coming up with ways to skip training thirty ranks of fire building.

Comment

You are grossly oversimplifying the update, but that isn't entirely your fault. You don't have all the information about everything being updated yet. So, although I know not everyone can be satisfied by any system put in place, I believe that upon full release of all the updates, the majority of your concerns will no longer be as valid as they seem right this moment, with the limited knowledge being previewed.
              Game Master Tale

Comment

Tale love most of them, they have flavor, Parcines and Iridine not so much but I trust you guys, and i don't have greater examples what would be good. I love the guard one for Iridine since constant war, I dunno what I would put in place of bandages/cooking as free skills that i think anyone can do. I semi like the brokering in the city proper boost only, but for outside the city I dunno something that would make sense

Keep rocking the free world
                "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

GMs - Can we get a view of your 2020 vision/roadmap in a forum post?

Comment

Originally posted by Tale View Post
                    The entire point is to prevent any traits themselves from being "free" by one nation or another, forcing people to pick those specific nation's to be "competitive". Now everyone can select all the "combat traits" at the same price, making any nation viable for a combat focused character. Aka, a Safelander would be just as viable as a Cineran in terms of combat potential, because they can select all the same traits, at the same price.

You might be missing a larger part of the problem in this equation, and the more likely reason people flock to certain choices. Not all nations have the same starting point. Some nations start with huge stat boosts to awesome combat stats before traits are ever even picked (Altene, Parcines), other nations start with no combat stat boosts and mediocre mental ones(Iridine, Safelands). Unless you find another way to balance this specifically, there will still be an S tier choice.

Two possible solutions:
                    1) Remove base stat bonuses from national selection.
                    2) Allow chargen stat points to be distributed manually.

Free traits are good, because they allow you to avoid taking negative traits. However in most cases the free trait is one that also takes up a slot, preventing you from selecting further advantages. The two exceptions i can think of to this would be Cineran blade mastery, and I believe the Sostaeran dodgy one, and if you compare these two, you actually highlight the above point. They're called 'super cinners' because they start with great entry points for speed, dex, agility and perception, get to pick three amazing combat traits including one for free, and then get a completely free fourth trait on top that effects the most deadly part of the games PvP; critical hits. It's the best of both worlds, nothing else even comes close. Sostaeran's aren't a top choice, or even a top 5, because they don't start with the same stats, and +10 to dodge isn't as good as critical hit modifiers.

If Cinerans didn't also come with great base stats, people would rarely pick them just for the blade mastery, even with the other free trait. These choices are largely made with investment in mind.

Just some food for thought.
                    Last edited by Rupert; 01-08-2020, 07:12 PM.
                    Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                    I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                    Originally posted by Phwoar
                    Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                    Originally posted by Elowynn
                    Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post

Free traits are good, because they allow you to avoid taking negative traits. However in most cases the free trait is one that also takes up a slot, preventing you from selecting further advantages. The two exceptions i can think of to this would be Cineran blade mastery, and I believe the Sostaeran dodgy one, and if you compare these two, you actually highlight the above point. They're called 'super cinners' because they start with great entry points for speed, dex, agility and perception, get to pick three amazing combat traits including one for free, and then get a completely free fourth trait on top that effects the most deadly part of the games PvP; critical hits. It's the best of both worlds, nothing else even comes close. Sostaeran's aren't a top choice, or even a top 5, because they don't start with the same stats, and +10 to dodge isn't as good as critical hit modifiers.

Just some food for thought.
                      Just making sure we're all speaking the same language here. There will no longer be "free traits.". The lores listed here are 100% separate from traits. So as mentioned further up, you'll get an automatic LORE and then you will choose a free "Advantage", which is another LORE or skill. Not trait.

Not at all intending to be nit-picky, but I want to ensure we're all using the same word choices so as to not confuse folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Syden View Post
                        GMs - Can we get a view of your 2020 vision/roadmap in a forum post?
                        I've been working on this post for a few days now, just haven't had a chance to finish it. I promise you'll have it soon, though. I'm super excited about this year, and I hope everyone is, also!

Comment

I like the changes except that the super cinners won't use the new system because they're OP from the grandfathered system.

For existing characters that do use the new system, their free advantage will just be the leftover lore (in most cases). Am I missing anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Siddhe View Post

Just making sure we're all speaking the same language here. There will no longer be "free traits.". The lores listed here are 100% separate from traits. So as mentioned further up, you'll get an automatic LORE and then you will choose a free "Advantage", which is another LORE or skill. Not trait.
                            We are as much as we can be, in that we know hardly anything about the new system. I was simply correcting the proposed symptoms of that specific problem.
                            Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct
                            I thought it was just a rumor that it was all number-crunching and competitive training in a game with no logical endpoint since characters are ostensibly immortal and can always get better.

You mean it's true?
                            Originally posted by Phwoar
                            Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
                            Originally posted by Elowynn
                            Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Comment

From everything that's been said so far, including the GM Town hall meetings, this is what I've understood of the new system:

1) Characters that use the character generator -before- the new trait/lore system will -not- have to use the new system if they don't want to.
                              1.1) Said characters will -not- get the new lores if they stick with the old system.
                              2) Characters that use the character generator -before- the new trait/lore system will have the ability to use a @re-trait command to get the new lores as well as the new traits.
                              3) The new system no longer has free/national traits. These are being replaced by lores. Some may be granted automatically while others may use up your free advantage slot.
                              4) Some of the old national traits will become regular traits that -all- nations will have access to.
                              5) Under the new system, characters will have access up to (5) positive and (5) negative traits.
                              6) The new traits system will have new traits for characters to choose from, both positive/negative and maybe even neutral.

What characters under the old system stand to gain:

1) Ability to have up to (5) positive and (5) negative traits.
                              2) New traits, new benefits.
                              3) Free trait change. Can remove old traits that you dislike, add new ones that you really want. Can add traits if you didn't choose any.
                              4) Didn't get that blade mastery and really want it? You'll be able to get it now if you're not Cineran.

---

Theoretically, all characters from any nationalities (even Cinerans) can gain something from the new traits BUT the Cinerans may have to add more negative traits to counter-balance the benefits that they have in the new system. What do they stand to gain? At most, one extra trait since they'll be able to go from 3+1 (blade mastery) up to 5. If they want to get rid of Blade Mastery, they could get up to two brand new traits. However, this leads to this question:

If I choose Cineran and get my free Blade Mastery + Steady Hands, when I go to re-trait, if I want to keep these, but add upon what I already have, will the total value of my traits automatically change or will it still view these as 'free'? We know under the new system Blade Mastery will become an actual trait instead of a national advantage.

Just to make it clear:

Nimble Feet
                              Steady Hands
                              Athletic
                              Blade Mastery

That's what a Cineran can currently have and the current cost is: Steady Hands (0), Blade Mastery (0), Athletic (3), Nimble Feet (3) which leads in total to +6. Let's say I want to add one new trait which is a +3. Do I get to add that one trait and then add one or more negatives to balance out that +3, or will it view my Steady Hands and Blade Mastery and decide I need to rebalance everything, therefore adding the +3 from Steady Hands and +? from Blade Mastery?

---

I realize a big part of this post has nothing to do with the actual lores, but it seems to be the major point of interest of some who posted here.

Comment

Good summary, Ghuan, and mostly matches up with what I understand from GM information so far. One thing - Blade Mastery may or may not exist in the new trait system. I wouldn't put eggs in the basket of being able "to get Blade Mastery" under the new system, since we don't know if it'll still be a thing.

A comment re: Rupert's post about nationalities coming out with different stat advantages: yes, that's a thing, but no, I don't think it's as unbalanced as you may think, based on pure point value. There was that old Stat Sheet floating around which we're not supposed to talk about, and it broke down that all nationalities seemed to be getting a few pluses and minuses in different columns, but ultimately ended up with the same overall point value. Don't forget that this includes social and mental stats. If you're a pure min-maxer for combat stats, which apparently favors Dex at the moment, then, yep, Cineran is the go-to.

Regardless of new lores/traits/stat point break downs for nationalities, as some others have pointed out here, the fact remains that Dexterity as a stat seems to be more valuable than any other stat, such as Agility or Strength. The combat review Senses keeps saying is on the horizon will hopefully address this, yes?

Comment

Working...
                                X