Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

Nelsor training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelsor training

I was wondering if Ariston will ever teach any Nelsor moves passed 50 as it is Nelsor moves are generally harder then other moves e.g sword stab is much easier then Kicking slash to perform even though they are both average, i was just wondering if he will ever teach higher then 50 and maybe whether anyone know why the moves are very hard to use.
    *Is the most electrifying Gladiator in blood sports entertainment history*

As long as I've been around no trainer ever trained higher then when they were first put in game. I doubt they will ever make Ariston train past 50 in any of the moves. Also the better you are with your basic gladii and the actions the easier it will become to perform the Nelsor manuevers. So my suggestion to you would be before you start very seriously on Nelsor I would know my gladius fairly well.

Comment

well the trident teacher teaches higher then before and ya basic gladius does nothing for nelsor i should know cause i actually know nelsor
      *Is the most electrifying Gladiator in blood sports entertainment history*

Comment

Originally posted by Ciciro View Post
        As long as I've been around no trainer ever trained higher then when they were first put in game. I doubt they will ever make Ariston train past 50 in any of the moves. Also the better you are with your basic gladii and the actions the easier it will become to perform the Nelsor manuevers. So my suggestion to you would be before you start very seriously on Nelsor I would know my gladius fairly well.
        Is it still true today that moves like, Slash, and Chop effect how good you are with your nelsor moves?

Maybe that's why some people complain about having harder success with kick and slash than they do with stab... maybe they need to grandmater basic slash first.

I dunno how the mechanics work, never tested it.

Comment

To my knowledge they still have a minor effect on them but like any skill the higher you are in itself the better
          The Brotherhood of Traevant-Medivh Server

Traevant Militia First Speaker

Jerkface

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
            To my knowledge they still have a minor effect on them but like any skill the higher you are in itself the better
            So you don't have any clue, how much -success and +success you get from taking chop and slash from 20 to 100? added to your effected nelsor moves?

The only reason that it would be important is because of knowing what would take priority...

Should someone get 50/5050 nelsor, then 100 slash and chop? or, 100/100/100 nelsor and then 20-100 chop and slash.

in order to maximize +success bonus for amount of SP spent while training.

Like the difference of training 100 basics 1/1/1/1/1/ or 10/10/10/10/10 which one is more beneficial for your sp total.

If anyone had that information; this would be a useful forum for the future of nelsor chars.

amazing that Nelsor still only has 1 teacher that teaches to 50.... since his complaint in 2001... lol.

Comment

Nelsor sucks, it's a showy skill meant for the colosseum, not general use.

Comment

Nelsor was popular in the old days when you could use it with shields, but since the swords changes a few years ago it's lost a lot of mechanical appeal. I unlearned it since it leaves openings even when wielding a buckler on most of the useful attacks. Wielding the sword in two hands prevents you from leaving openings, but instead leaves you extremely vulnerable to any attacks that bypass the OHS blocks... which is probably pretty bad for a pvp gladiator. Ironic.

That being said, it's sad that Ariston only teaches it to 50, even Dreggo teaches to 80 now.

I'm surprised you are having more trouble to hit with kslash or rarch than you are with stab. I thought with even ranks in stab and kslash, you would be able to hit humanoid targets with a success noticeably lower regardless of what your pre-reqs are at.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                  You couldn't be further from the truth in wrongness, as normal when it comes to combat mechanics.

Nelsor is still one of the most effective offense skillsets that the gladius has to offer, especially in terms of handling polearm fighters. It is exponentially most effective against staves, with Rarch, Kslash, and Arch. It's got a strong multihitter that utterly dominates spearsman, and Kleap is one of the most effective crowd controlling, constant approached skills for the Gladius. There are many many amazing benefits to this skillset, but yes, There are also some major flaws.

the change from requirement of 2 hands to keep from leaving openings, and the inability to use a shield larger than a buckler is that killed my particular gladii user from using that skillset. It doesn't fit his mold or his RP to be a gladiator anymore, so I by pass the mechanical advantage for the sake of roleplay.

But if you want to be an offensive weapon PVE or really put on the hurt for showmanship in PVP aka colosseum, it is a great skillset.

Comment

There is a higher trainer. Seek out the leader of the CL.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMagi View Post
                      I could sent you the link where Ciaran said it was a top teir weapon up there with staves and spears for pvp.

And, that Zea guy forgot his name, had it on his decently pretty good list also...

the beta testing room is gone, and not working.. or i'd go play with some of these weapons myself.

anyone know when the beta testing room will be back?

Comment

Originally posted by VBaehr View Post

You couldn't be further from the truth in wrongness, as normal when it comes to combat mechanics.

But if you want to be an offensive weapon PVE or really put on the hurt for showmanship in PVP aka colosseum, it is a great skillset.
                        I'm so glad you agree with me, thank you for helping me prove my point.

Comment

Hey, instead of me starting another stupid thread....

How does defense stacking work? Like, Swords/acms/shields

Is it better to do, 1 set to 100, or to do 2 sets split the same amount Sp evenly, like 45/40 or w/e...

Or, 40/20/15 on 3 sets?

For the most -sucess to your opponent. Like, Simple block, basic dodge, simple shield block...

100 in simple sword block.

or, 40 in simple block, 40 in basic dodge.

Or, 40 in simple block, 20 in basic dodge, 15 in shield block.

(I'm making guesses, of trying to use roughly the same SP)

I'm not sure how rank bonuses stack.

I tried searching forums, but I couldn't find anything, but also not sure what things to select in the advanced search to help my search... I tried latest update, and relevance, but found nothing good.

If the beta testing room was back... I could answer a lot of my own questions.

Comment

100%/50%/33%

Comment

So, you get 100% of RB of highest one, then 50% of the second layer, and 33% of the RB of the 3rd layer?

Makes you wonder how guys with shields and swords can be touched.

You figure.... a guy 500/500/500/500 swords, then 200/200/200 acms, then 100/100/100 shields....

Could beat a guy, 500/500/500 staves 500/500/500 acms.

I didn't do any real math at all though... laziness...

Comment

Working...
                              X