"Who" command

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Who" command

I have a slight problem... the Who command brings up a large list of who's awake up on my screen that is too big to fit, so I must scroll up and spend about five minutes searching through about 100 names to find one. What about "who" (person)? We wouldn't have to think to all of iridine: "Is _____ awake???" people, like me, get annoyed by that, but know, most people dont want to search through all those names - so, I suggest The who command stay the same, but an optional name can be put after it, so there wont be any more people asking who's awake over thoughts, and nobody will need to search through those names.
    "My parents taught me to swim at an early age... they'd take me out two miles from any sign of civilization and wait for me at the shore... the swimming wan't hard, the hard part was getting out of the sack..."

I agree that the "who" list is a bit annoying at times, and people have brought the subject up several times. Another suggestion was to alphabetize the list.

These are good ideas, but I think there are more important things that need to be worked on besides something that is a slight inconvience to some of us.

Just my thoughts,
    Shawntel

Comment

The WHO list is totally OOC way of knowing someone is awake. If I was looking for say...Annatar, and I saw him on who, it would be totally OOC for me to think for him. I had no way of knowing he was awake.

Making it so you could WHO for people in specific makes it far too easy.

I would not mind seeing it in alphabetical order, or perhaps having all the GM chars on the list put to sleep...last I checked, it was like.....10 or so....I think.
      Least likely to train: Govan.. actually, I should say her player. Accompanied an alt of hers training once and after she had spent fifteen minutes deciding on the wardrobe, we got all of two minutes in before she was bored.

Comment

Even if you see someone's name on the WHO list, you still have to ask if that person is awake. WHO is totaly OOC and cannot be used for any IC information. I've always thought that WHO should be taken away myself.
        --Thomas King--Lucius--
        "Well I Ain't Evil, I'm Just Good Lookin' "
        Alice Cooper
        "This Is Beetle, Is As Bad As Can"
        Beetlejuice
        "It takes guts to run away, you know. Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough"
        Rincewind

Comment

"Who" is a necessary part of any online game. I don't even know if a game could survive without it. I've never even played an online game where you couldn't find out who was online.

I think TEC would fall apart, honestly. It gives the place a sense of extreme loneliness, even if you hear people on Think talking.
          Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
          Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Originally posted by Atama
            "Who" is a necessary part of any online game. I don't even know if a game could survive without it. I've never even played an online game where you couldn't find out who was online.

I think TEC would fall apart, honestly. It gives the place a sense of extreme loneliness, even if you hear people on Think talking.
            I certainly don't think TEC would fall apart if the "who" list wasn't there. It's a nice thing to have sometimes, but definately not a necessity for the game (or any game in my opinion) to survive. And it is always an occ method of seeing if someone is "awake".

Perhaps there could be a count of how many PCs were in game instead of everyones names if that would make the "loneliness" less.

Comment

Who?

Bzzt! Wrong answer I've seen plenty of sucessful games where the only information who gives you is:

There are currently x# players online.
              There are y# of helpers online.
              There are z# of GMs/immortals/staff online and avaliable.

Off to buy a loaf of bread!

Comment

Adding a feature, like how many people are online, is not the same as getting rid of "Who". That's replacing Who, which would probably be fine. But even you guys admit that if you had no way to find out if there are other people online that it would just make the game horrid.

And yes, it might be an OOC method to find out if people are awake, but who cares? Are you so absorbed in the game you forget there's such a thing as real life? And real life human beings not made of digital code that might feel very lost if they didn't know there was anyone else online anymore?

Remember this fact: In truth there is NO SUCH THING as IC. Our characters aren't real, everything is OOC. Everything exists only for OOC reasons. The parser, your keyboard, the website, the help files, everything exists only for OOC reasons. Don't slam on something for existing for OOC reasons.
                Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
                Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

But even you guys admit that if you had no way to find out if there are other people online that it would just make the game horrid.
                  I don't agree to that. I don't think it would be a horrid game at all. Haven't seen anyone else say they would feel that way either except you, Atama.

And yes, it might be an OOC method to find out if people are awake, but who cares? Are you so absorbed in the game you forget there's such a thing as real life? And real life human beings not made of digital code that might feel very lost if they didn't know there was anyone else online anymore?
                  Remember this fact: In truth there is NO SUCH THING as IC. Our characters aren't real, everything is OOC. Everything exists only for OOC reasons. The parser, your keyboard, the website, the help files, everything exists only for OOC reasons. Don't slam on something for existing for OOC reasons.
                  That is true for real life, although I have no idea where you presume we are all living in a fantasy world and have no concept of real life.
                  But for playing TEC, Role-playing and being IC is a requirement. I haven't seen where anyone was "slamming" this subject either.

Comment

Origionally posted by Atama
                    In truth there is NO SUCH THING as IC.
                    While this may be true in RL, hate to tell you this, there is no REAL LIFE in this game. This is a game, and using the WHO list, and not following it up with a question if he is awake or not is totally OOC. For instance, if someone thinks aloud "JOESHMOE, I know your awake, answer me!" Without any previous contact between those to characters, that is OOC.

Originally posted by Marnevel
                    Dunstvangeet's right
                    Newpatriot (Aux) Snakes on your plane to Storm_queen, "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter has a lot t do with lesbians. See, vampires find out that if they wear lesbian skin they can walk around in sunlight. So Jesus teams up with a Mexican wrestler named El Santos to fight lesbian vampires. And it's a musical."

Comment

just a little insight here, "who" will NEVER be alphabetized, why?
                      Because if it was every hood in Iridine would be exposed instantly and through completely unavoidable means. All it would take is to check "who" see how many "a man in a...." come up and then wait until they're no longer there, if the "who" command stayed stagnant it would be simple as hell to see where the new name came in, as it is the who command randomizes every time it's checked, i believe, to avoid this kind of "cheating".
                      So there!
                      LOTS of people in the US are mentally retarded - Miriam

Iridine's finest gladiator stable:
                      http://xfuj.com/tec/cl/

Comment

Atama you are 100% right.

Actually people will use WHO to see who is awake or not for all times.

You can try to tell them a hundred times that it is OOC to use it for an IG purpose, it is fruitless. Why?

Simple. Who is convinient. And why the hell should people always choose the hardest way you can think of to get the information they need??

If you cant surpress it, allow it. Make WHO "legal" as an IG tool and everyone would be happy.

Regards Theo

Comment

So say I wake up at or around the same time as this person removes his/her hood. Am I now a suspect of having a hood just because I awoke??

People are constantly sleeping and waking up. Sit in the main welcome area and see how many people wake up and enter the game. Also, it would be the same if it were alphabatized as is it now... just requires a little more patience now to go through the names if that's what you want to do. But remind you, that is being OOC.

Comment

I can't tell you how many times Soren and I have looked for each other on WHO and missed seeing each other and spending precious time together because it was not alphabetized. That may not mean squat to you, but it does to me.

And someone mentioned that making a 'who <character name>' would make it too easy? *scratches her head in confusion" That should be the goal. Make the game interface just a bit easier, more convenient. There could be no possible harm in it. Yes, people should then respond IC. But to make things more difficult just makes people irritated. It does NOT discourage its use.
                            I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
                            Or. . .
                            We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

Actually I love who for when I'm in the WA. Easy to spot out Annatar, Rhenn, or one of my other friends in there with it. Who for IG names. Yeah it would be helpful to alphabitize it or have a [who <character>] command. At least with [who <character>] you're only looking for a specific character. And it really is helpful when you're thinking out ["is so and so awake?"] now granted blatantly saying I know you're their is OOC, but merely using it to identify their presence really isn't. You'd look for them either way, but at least with a new who you could start by 1) not wasting your time, or 2) realize they are listening but don't want to talk.

WHY do you think the GM's colorized who huh? would there be ANY possible reason fo TOTALLY IC purposes that you could immediately tell who was using think?

I thought so....

I prefer my own reality cause everyone elses sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X