No announcement yet.

"Who" command

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked with Jenn a couple weeks ago about Who and acording to the GMs, even though who is colorized, it is still OOC to use any knowledge you gain from who IC. I think the command is great if you are in the WA, sometimes I only want to play if a certain other character is awake, but once I'm IG I only use it to see if a GM is on duty.
    --Thomas King--Lucius--
    "Well I Ain't Evil, I'm Just Good Lookin' "
    Alice Cooper
    "This Is Beetle, Is As Bad As Can"
    Beetlejuice
    "It takes guts to run away, you know. Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough"
    Rincewind

Comment

You shouldn't be using Who to get to together. People have already said this in the thread. Get a cada.

Making Who legal for IC use? So, now I can sense eveyone who is awake? That's a lot of sensing. Here is a way to surpress OOC behavior: get rid of Who. Oh, but that would be inconvient....

A lot of people would not be happy with that.

Comment

Yup, there are enough inconveniences without getting rid of Who. There's absolutely nothing wrong with alphabetizing or organizing the list, the only people who object to it are the ones who want to get rid of the Who list altogether, and that's not even what the thread is about. Or the people who were afraid it would identify thieves, though that seems to have been disproven.

I agree that blatantly using the Who for IC purposes is wrong, since the GMs have stated that you aren't supposed to do that. But there's nothing wrong with checking Who, seeing that a person is logged in and has Think enabled, then Thinking "Are you there?". Who's to say that they only didn't just happen to ask if they're available and got lucky? Now, if they say "I know you're there, why aren't you answering me?" that is wrong.

I think that if Think can be IC, there's no reason Who can't be. If we can accept that somehow our characters are speaking mind-to-mind, it doesn't take a real stretch to assume that we can tell when other people are awake. However, until the GMs say that Who is IC, we had better assume it isn't.
        Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
        Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Think is only temporary. I seriously, seriously doubt Who will ever be made IC. I would be shocked and appalled.

Comment

How long has Think been around though? When are the GMs going to get rid of it?

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

It has been around a long time, but that doesn't matter. They have stated it is temporary.

Comment

If it's been around for years, it's hard to call it temporary. And I doubt they'll get rid of it entirely, I'm sure there will be something to replace it. Like, couriers, or some kind of weird message board...

I think it would restrict people to a smaller area if it's abolished completely. People will be less likely to venture away from populated areas because there will be noone to talk to, and it's dangerous to go somewhere far because if something happens to you nobody will know what happened.

Yeah, it's realistic that way, but fearing to go farther than your home is also realistic for the time period, and also boring. This is a gameplay vs. realism issue again. I'm interested to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Letrus Abbot
                  just a little insight here, "who" will NEVER be alphabetized, why?
                  Because if it was every hood in Iridine would be exposed instantly and through completely unavoidable means. All it would take is to check "who" see how many "a man in a...." come up and then wait until they're no longer there, if the "who" command stayed stagnant it would be simple as hell to see where the new name came in, as it is the who command randomizes every time it's checked, i believe, to avoid this kind of "cheating".
                  So there!
                  I dont agree. Say Timmy was wearing a hood. When you type 'Who' you would see all of the 'A man wearing...' near the beginning of the list, but when he takes off his hood, he becomes Timmy again and his name goes into the T section. Or atleast I hope that is how it would work. Did that make sense?

The Eternal City: Screenshots
                  Facebook

Comment

And albetizing who wouldn't be hard to do. All that would need to be done is a simple bubble sort. I've even learned how to do a bubble sort.

Originally posted by Marnevel
                    Dunstvangeet's right
                    Newpatriot (Aux) Snakes on your plane to Storm_queen, "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter has a lot t do with lesbians. See, vampires find out that if they wear lesbian skin they can walk around in sunlight. So Jesus teams up with a Mexican wrestler named El Santos to fight lesbian vampires. And it's a musical."

Comment

It's temporary because they would rather have something else, but that something else hasn't shown its self yet. I think there are more important things that need to be done in game besides that. It's ok the way it is. Not great, but not horrible either. And that seems to be the opinions of the GMs as well since it's still here.

There have already been changes to think recently. For those that don't know, you fatigue when you think. The more you think, the more fatigued you get. *can't imagine how tired Andrew and Nymbia and some other people that I can't remember get* That was just implemented a few months ago when the Cadaes were introduced.

Comment

My 2 cents

I like the idea of replacing the who command with: who <person>.
                        I also like the idea of replacing Think, with some sort of purchased item such as a Cadae or other worn necklace or such that provides one the ability to project their thoughts. These necklaces could even have differnet colors/types available allowing for wider arrange or a more focused range of communication. (Example: Lavendar could only communicate with Lavendar, or Black communicates over all devices, or perhaps the Constables would have a color just for them...or a necklace only useable/available to them, etc) Of course everyone could wear more than one type of necklace...and to activate that necklace one would simply rub it, allowing you to both receive and project thoughts......perhaps the Supersticous fear trait would make the use of such impossible.
                        Perhaps all "newbies" would be outfitted with a special "newbie colored" necklace that the auxilli wear or are tuned into.
                        In this way individuals could choose to only listen to certain "channels".
                        Custom items could even be the creation of a special pair or more of these allowing for certain indivuals to have a very special form of communication over longdistances.....(just an idea).
                        Anyhow...I think you get my point.....just my 2 cents...

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Comment

DragonRealms has something like that. I believe you got different pieces of armor as loot. You wear them and rub them to communicate with others wearing the same type of armor. Your link expired after some time and you reactivated it by rubbing again. However, you could only activate it a certain amount of times, then it would crumble. I believe the range of communication was limited.

Comment

You shouldn't be using Who to get to together. People have already said this in the thread. Get a cada.

Making Who legal for IC use? So, now I can sense eveyone who is awake? That's a lot of sensing. Here is a way to surpress OOC behavior: get rid of Who. Oh, but that would be inconvient....

A lot of people would not be happy with that.
                            While not legal for IC use, to say it shouldn't exist is a bit drastic. The Who list was colorized to keep people from spamming think by asking "BillyBobius, are you awake?" You are supposed to look at the Who list first and if your friend is awake, then you can look for them. If not, you know not to bother asking for them.

Another reason for the Who list. If Soren's player doesn't see Shalini or one of my characters on the Who list, he doesn't bother logging Soren in. Same with with me. If I don't see Soren, I sometimes don't wake Shalini, opting to wake one of my other characters. Alphabetizing would make it easier so that we don't miss each other. It would be even better to target Soren specifically with a Who Soren command.

And once more for those who didn't get it the first time. Not everyone can use a cadae My character was always fearful, distrustful of magic, even before the trait system came out. She used a borrowed cadae once, was fearful of it, and now can't even pick one up (she returned one to someone for a player/character that was leaving TEC). Even if you can use a cadae, the range, number of targets, and your actions while under its influence is limited. And it never made much sense to me why it wasn't more tiring, to concentrate, pinpoint your target, and aim your thoughts to them than it was to let your thoughts free-float everywhere.

As I said in my previous post if any bothered to read it, knowledge of WHO is awake should be done ICly. When Soren or I see each on the list, we ask for each other. Or just happen to run into each other. I frankly don't see how it ruins anyone's game by our doing that.

I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
                            Or. . .
                            We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

Ayup....got the idea from DR.......actually worked pretty well...and made more sense (not as OOC in my opinion) then the current Think ability.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Comment

Well...

If think was gotten rid of, I'd like to at least keep the WHO command. I forget who said this, but there was a thread about new pets. Someone was talking about having a bird of somesort carry messages. That would be a neat idea, and a little more realistic. The thing is through, what if the person who you're sending a message to isn't awake? That poor bird would probabaly fly around for a really long time, so WHO might be needed there...

By the way, I might have missed something, but why is WHO colour coded? What do the colours mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X