X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbecker
    replied
    Funny you should mention...

Yeah, about that argument concerning removing who and why it will cause 'is so and so awake' clutter in think, I have the perfect solution:

Get rid of think.

Oh and to whomever stated that there is no such thing as IC in real life or whatever it was, please slap yourself, because my arm's too short. You see, the concept of IC was developed by the natives of Real-Life, quite drastic beings they are, real scary too... they use reasoning and all kinds of other nonsense. Anyhow, the concept of IC DOES exist because of the simple fact that we use it. Weird, huh? And you SHOULD use it. That's the damn purpose of the game, to provide a virtual environment where people can Role-play (assume the role of another personality, keeping the knowledge your character knows seperate from your own personal knowledge (heh, ICness, imagine that... it has something to do with role-playing... go figure))

I'm done now...

Leave a comment:

• Holypaladin
    replied
    My Opinion on WHO

I like the WHO list. I prefer being able to look on WHO before I go asking over think if someone's awake. Lots would consider this OOC, but I find it a lot more convenient than everyone blabbing over think 'is so and so awake?' every five minutes or so. People complain about changes that make the gameworld even more difficult, and you guys are jumping right in there and adding more to that by saying WHO should be removed.

Possible changes to WHO could be this. First, make it so we can have our own custom WHO lists. Where we can add our friends, family, whatever to, with their consent of course. That way, we can immediately check WHO and see if our friends are awake so we don't have to think and cause think to be even more cluddered than it usually is, by asking for our friends. I think that'd make it a lot more convenient than having to scroll through a hundred or so names. I'm sure I'll get flames for this one by the people who wanna see WHO removed.

As Ens and Atama have been saying. It's convenient to have. Do you honestly want think cluddered by people asking 'is so and so awake?' every five minutes? Although I think people should ask if someone is awake to be IC about it, but they can hold their asking till at least they know if their friend or whatever is on the WHO list. For people who think it's OOC for people to know if you're awake because of WHO, well, if they ask for you, you don't have to respond to'em. Simple as that. WHO is convenient and my vote is for it to stay. Maybe some changes to it where we can have a list of our friends in a separate category on the WHO list instead of trying to find them all in the huge mass of names.

Leave a comment:

• cbecker
    replied
    Think and Who

I never thought I'd be posting again, but its amazing what you find to do when you get bored. Apparently, my beliefs in making EC a better game stick with me even after leaving. (After spending 3 years of watching something grow, you tend to want to do whats best for it.)

First of all: Think.

I know the subject has been beat to death, but the thing won't die. Why? Because people still realize that its temporary and OOC. If your character's afraid of magic, what's think to him/her? Doesn't seem like telepathy was EVER a part of Roman history. And I can legitimately use the realistic Roman society as an argument because Scott once stated that EC's goal was to become as realistic and similar to ancient Rome as possible. Having Think greatly distracts from that, and the GMs know it. As it was pointed out, its temporary (and temporary things can last quite a while, read up on early US government...) The argument that people would be less likely to venture from popular areas is rather hilarious to me, seeing as how this points out my own belief that role-playing would be much easier if everyone were forced to socialize IN PERSON. Its more realistic! Realism is what EC strives for, and that's why people play EC and that's what has turned EC into what its become. To me, think is a crutch that EC has leaned on for too long, and no longer needs.

Secondly, Who.

Who is blatantly OOC. ANY use of who other than to quench your own personal curiousity is OOC. Now, I myself, an experienced role-player, find it very difficult (being the human that I am) to intake knowledge and not have it affect the way I play my character in ANY way. To help induce IC actions, it would help to have Who removed. It isn't necessary. When you see a loved one IG, discuss a time when you can meet again. Convenience is not necessarily greatness, but more often laziness. I think we're way too geared in thinking so.

Just my (very important) thoughts on EC.

Leave a comment:

• Someone12345
    replied
    *beams at what a good discussion he made* *hopes a GM takes a look at this*

Leave a comment:

• Shawntel
    replied
    I agree with you Jolee... just because I may have my thoughts "on" doesn't necessarily mean that I'm actually listening to them..

Leave a comment:

• Jolee
    replied
    Sorry, but I like knowing who is snooping. I don't care who knows I'm awake. If I don't wish to respond, I don't. If I'm in the middle of killing something and don't wish to think, I don't. I don't care who knows I'm thinking. It is NOT a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Atama
    replied
    I agree with Malastar. There should be an option that lets us appear that we have Think off even if we have it on. Toggle-quietthink?

That would also solve Enkar's privacy problem.

I like having the option to be able to "snoop" on Think.

Leave a comment:

• Malastar1
    replied
    I must agree.

I too hate the fact that the WHO command shows who all is listening to thoughts and who is not.....I have no problem with people knowing that my character is logged into the game...but to know that I am either listening to thoughts or not is a bit tooo much info.

Leave a comment:

• ens
    replied
    Enkar, even tough we do not agree very often check out my post on the WHO Thread(the poll). I agree with you there.

theo

Leave a comment:

• Enkar
    replied
    This is my problem with Who:

If I am awake, anyone in the game can see that I am logged on. I don't like that. Granted, I'm not popular enough for everyone to be calling for me, but people can call for me and, by using Who, know I am awake or that I have my thoughts on. If I don't answer, they may be upset or annoyed. I may want to be left alone, but I am displayed to everyone as being on.

Since Who is OOC, I propose that a command be implemented that allows one to toggle one's name on and off of Who.

I don't know if anyone else has this feeling for privacy, but I would like to know.

Leave a comment:

• Annatar
    replied
    Stuff

No, it was done so that people wouldn't do the rather annoying 'Think-Off' or '*stops thinking*' or even '*turns his head off to everyone else*' in the think channel anymore. I still ask for people even if I know on the who list their thoughts are off, as the list is OOC.

Leave a comment:

• Atama
    replied
    Bright green names show that a person has Think enabled. Black means they aren't on Think. That way you don't try to contact a person through Think when they can't hear you.

Leave a comment:

• Toei
    replied
    Well...

If think was gotten rid of, I'd like to at least keep the WHO command. I forget who said this, but there was a thread about new pets. Someone was talking about having a bird of somesort carry messages. That would be a neat idea, and a little more realistic. The thing is through, what if the person who you're sending a message to isn't awake? That poor bird would probabaly fly around for a really long time, so WHO might be needed there...

By the way, I might have missed something, but why is WHO colour coded? What do the colours mean?

Leave a comment:

• Malastar1
    replied
    Ayup....got the idea from DR.......actually worked pretty well...and made more sense (not as OOC in my opinion) then the current Think ability.

Leave a comment:

• Jolee
    replied
    You shouldn't be using Who to get to together. People have already said this in the thread. Get a cada.

Making Who legal for IC use? So, now I can sense eveyone who is awake? That's a lot of sensing. Here is a way to surpress OOC behavior: get rid of Who. Oh, but that would be inconvient....

A lot of people would not be happy with that.
    While not legal for IC use, to say it shouldn't exist is a bit drastic. The Who list was colorized to keep people from spamming think by asking "BillyBobius, are you awake?" You are supposed to look at the Who list first and if your friend is awake, then you can look for them. If not, you know not to bother asking for them.

Another reason for the Who list. If Soren's player doesn't see Shalini or one of my characters on the Who list, he doesn't bother logging Soren in. Same with with me. If I don't see Soren, I sometimes don't wake Shalini, opting to wake one of my other characters. Alphabetizing would make it easier so that we don't miss each other. It would be even better to target Soren specifically with a Who Soren command.

And once more for those who didn't get it the first time. Not everyone can use a cadae My character was always fearful, distrustful of magic, even before the trait system came out. She used a borrowed cadae once, was fearful of it, and now can't even pick one up (she returned one to someone for a player/character that was leaving TEC). Even if you can use a cadae, the range, number of targets, and your actions while under its influence is limited. And it never made much sense to me why it wasn't more tiring, to concentrate, pinpoint your target, and aim your thoughts to them than it was to let your thoughts free-float everywhere.

As I said in my previous post if any bothered to read it, knowledge of WHO is awake should be done ICly. When Soren or I see each on the list, we ask for each other. Or just happen to run into each other. I frankly don't see how it ruins anyone's game by our doing that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X