Announcement

Collapse

The Great Skotos Split Is Here [UPDATED]

The long-planned Skotos split is here. We are going to be separating Skotos into the four games that we're passing off to individual players (Marrach, TEC, the game formerly known as Ironclaw Online, the game formerly known as Lazarus Sleeping), and in the near future the core Skotos site will shutdown.

Here's how it will work:
* On Monday, we will turn off the ability to make any purchases through the main site. This will be the end of credit card purchases for Skotos games.
* We will run final automated credit card purchases on Tuesday morning. This is typical, in that our regular subscriptions are always set to run on the 1st through the 28th.
* On Wednesday, we will begin converting the games over to the new auth server that I've been working on for the last month and a half. All data will be converted over from the moment I grab the database. This means that all of your account information, including all payments (but not including any credit card information or Paypal information) will be duped to all the games: you'll be able to play any of them for the time you'd previously paid at the main Skotos site.
* We'll then start integrating the individual sites for each game with the new stand-alone setup.
* And likely I'll be resolving bugs in the auth server that only turn up through extensive usage.
* Meanwhile, we'll start handing off games to the individuals who will be running it in the future. I'm at this point over the time I'd initially committed to Skotos by a bit more than three weeks, but I'm expecting I'll need to offer support a little into May to make sure everyone is running well and that I've helped Christopher, Skotos, and the game leads deal with any intricacies of the hand-off.
* We'll request that all games remove all information from users who didn't stick with their game within a year.

I hope this will go as smoothly as possible. There will surely be bumps in the road. In particular, expect some random downtimes on Wednesday, when I convert over the games to the new servers, and expect the potential for problems on *next* Thursday, when I see how things work in the new setup.

A Few Updates as of 5/3:

1.) Castle Marrach, TEC, and Allegory of Empires are now split out from the main Skotos UserDB, which is the first (and biggest) step in separating these games. Multiversal Revelations will follow on Monday.

2.) Each site has a new login page of the form login.itsdomainname. This is the proper place to login to that game, and where you should access all UserDB functionality. Anything you do on the main Skotos users pages will no longer be reflected. Yes, that means you should be using the new pages to update your accounts, purchase months of play, and purchase subscriptions. Credit card payments are no longer possible, but Paypal is.

3.) Skotos is still running the games as of this moment, but they'll be transferred to the individual teams by this time next month.

4.) We've had some problems with credit cards continuing to run on the older UserDB system. We've refunded any bills that went through on the main system following the split, and apologize for the inconvenience. The plan is to turn the old UserDB off tomorrow, so that will absolutely stop the bills at this point. If you were accidentally billed, do note both that the amount was refunded the same day AND it isn't reflected on the new systems. [And as of Monday morning, those old charges seem to have been halted entirely.]

5.) We've discovered that about 20 accounts have credits of various amounts of them. This is a concept that is no longer supported in any meaningful way on the new UserDB, so we'll convert those credits to days of play at the most generous ratio.
See more
See less

"Who" command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright green names show that a person has Think enabled. Black means they aren't on Think. That way you don't try to contact a person through Think when they can't hear you.
    Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
    Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Stuff

No, it was done so that people wouldn't do the rather annoying 'Think-Off' or '*stops thinking*' or even '*turns his head off to everyone else*' in the think channel anymore. I still ask for people even if I know on the who list their thoughts are off, as the list is OOC.

Comment

This is my problem with Who:

If I am awake, anyone in the game can see that I am logged on. I don't like that. Granted, I'm not popular enough for everyone to be calling for me, but people can call for me and, by using Who, know I am awake or that I have my thoughts on. If I don't answer, they may be upset or annoyed. I may want to be left alone, but I am displayed to everyone as being on.

Since Who is OOC, I propose that a command be implemented that allows one to toggle one's name on and off of Who.

I don't know if anyone else has this feeling for privacy, but I would like to know.

Comment

Enkar, even tough we do not agree very often check out my post on the WHO Thread(the poll). I agree with you there.

theo

Comment

I must agree.

I too hate the fact that the WHO command shows who all is listening to thoughts and who is not.....I have no problem with people knowing that my character is logged into the game...but to know that I am either listening to thoughts or not is a bit tooo much info.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Comment

I agree with Malastar. There should be an option that lets us appear that we have Think off even if we have it on. Toggle-quietthink?

That would also solve Enkar's privacy problem.

I like having the option to be able to "snoop" on Think.

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

Sorry, but I like knowing who is snooping. I don't care who knows I'm awake. If I don't wish to respond, I don't. If I'm in the middle of killing something and don't wish to think, I don't. I don't care who knows I'm thinking. It is NOT a big deal.

I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
                Or. . .
                We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

I agree with you Jolee... just because I may have my thoughts "on" doesn't necessarily mean that I'm actually listening to them..

Comment

*beams at what a good discussion he made* *hopes a GM takes a look at this*
                    "My parents taught me to swim at an early age... they'd take me out two miles from any sign of civilization and wait for me at the shore... the swimming wan't hard, the hard part was getting out of the sack..."

Comment

Think and Who

I never thought I'd be posting again, but its amazing what you find to do when you get bored. Apparently, my beliefs in making EC a better game stick with me even after leaving. (After spending 3 years of watching something grow, you tend to want to do whats best for it.)

First of all: Think.

I know the subject has been beat to death, but the thing won't die. Why? Because people still realize that its temporary and OOC. If your character's afraid of magic, what's think to him/her? Doesn't seem like telepathy was EVER a part of Roman history. And I can legitimately use the realistic Roman society as an argument because Scott once stated that EC's goal was to become as realistic and similar to ancient Rome as possible. Having Think greatly distracts from that, and the GMs know it. As it was pointed out, its temporary (and temporary things can last quite a while, read up on early US government...) The argument that people would be less likely to venture from popular areas is rather hilarious to me, seeing as how this points out my own belief that role-playing would be much easier if everyone were forced to socialize IN PERSON. Its more realistic! Realism is what EC strives for, and that's why people play EC and that's what has turned EC into what its become. To me, think is a crutch that EC has leaned on for too long, and no longer needs.

Secondly, Who.

Who is blatantly OOC. ANY use of who other than to quench your own personal curiousity is OOC. Now, I myself, an experienced role-player, find it very difficult (being the human that I am) to intake knowledge and not have it affect the way I play my character in ANY way. To help induce IC actions, it would help to have Who removed. It isn't necessary. When you see a loved one IG, discuss a time when you can meet again. Convenience is not necessarily greatness, but more often laziness. I think we're way too geared in thinking so.

Just my (very important) thoughts on EC.
                      Try Dark Realms: CoS for free!! 173.244.70.250:1138

Comment

My Opinion on WHO

I like the WHO list. I prefer being able to look on WHO before I go asking over think if someone's awake. Lots would consider this OOC, but I find it a lot more convenient than everyone blabbing over think 'is so and so awake?' every five minutes or so. People complain about changes that make the gameworld even more difficult, and you guys are jumping right in there and adding more to that by saying WHO should be removed.

Possible changes to WHO could be this. First, make it so we can have our own custom WHO lists. Where we can add our friends, family, whatever to, with their consent of course. That way, we can immediately check WHO and see if our friends are awake so we don't have to think and cause think to be even more cluddered than it usually is, by asking for our friends. I think that'd make it a lot more convenient than having to scroll through a hundred or so names. I'm sure I'll get flames for this one by the people who wanna see WHO removed.

As Ens and Atama have been saying. It's convenient to have. Do you honestly want think cluddered by people asking 'is so and so awake?' every five minutes? Although I think people should ask if someone is awake to be IC about it, but they can hold their asking till at least they know if their friend or whatever is on the WHO list. For people who think it's OOC for people to know if you're awake because of WHO, well, if they ask for you, you don't have to respond to'em. Simple as that. WHO is convenient and my vote is for it to stay. Maybe some changes to it where we can have a list of our friends in a separate category on the WHO list instead of trying to find them all in the huge mass of names.
                        Hey, remember me!?!

Comment

Funny you should mention...

Yeah, about that argument concerning removing who and why it will cause 'is so and so awake' clutter in think, I have the perfect solution:

Get rid of think.

Oh and to whomever stated that there is no such thing as IC in real life or whatever it was, please slap yourself, because my arm's too short. You see, the concept of IC was developed by the natives of Real-Life, quite drastic beings they are, real scary too... they use reasoning and all kinds of other nonsense. Anyhow, the concept of IC DOES exist because of the simple fact that we use it. Weird, huh? And you SHOULD use it. That's the damn purpose of the game, to provide a virtual environment where people can Role-play (assume the role of another personality, keeping the knowledge your character knows seperate from your own personal knowledge (heh, ICness, imagine that... it has something to do with role-playing... go figure))

I'm done now...

Comment

I really really want to hear, at least once, one good reason why making things inconvinient adds something to TEC. Without doubt removing Think aswell as Who make things more inconvinient for the players. As a result(assuming that they dont use external messaging systems, which by the way is idiotic to belive) people will start spending time looking for each other. In my eyes this is not spend time but wasted time. I dont want a game of "Hide and seek". This is not what I am playing for.
                            Great part of any RPG is the ladder of skill improvment not only socialzing(that is a part too but not the major nor the minor part).
                            Wasting time for this hide and seek is contraproductive for the "Leveling" part of the game on the first look. But if you go deeper and take a closer look you will have the follwing effect:

-People go hunting/practicing etc alone instead of spending time looking for company.

-People will spend less time to socialize since it became harder to arrange dates and instead of taking this burden they will refocus on skill advancement

Removing Think will achive exaclty the opposite of what you cbecker wish. It will weaken the side of socializing and strengthen the side of "powergaming". Do you want that?

Oh and by the way if you are an expirenced role player and ever played with more than just one party you should know that there are as many opinions about what Role-playing is as there are players and GMs on this world(probably even more )
                            I for myself think that you just defined the what a character knows (the two layers theory).
                            However you did not define how a character acts. Reasoning and knowledge are probably the least important points in making a decision in life. Far more important are emotions. You do things even though you know they are dangerous(or because of it?? ) and so on. This however has nothing to do with IC or OOC. IC or OOC simply defines the two layers of knowledge.
                            Acting and roleplaying are different from that.

The term "Role-Playing" derivates from world of Theater and probably psychotherapie(?). You assume a role for a "short period of time" to put yourself into a _certain_ situation. You do not emulate another persons life.
                            Hamlet is not about how he went to the bathroom it is about determining and important moments in his life.
                            Role-play used in, for example, Softskill trainings, has the purpose to expose you into a _certain_ situation(like conflict-management). One guy is boss the other the employee and they roleplay the situation of conflict management. That is role playing.

Regards Theo

Comment

By the way cbecker, I don't know if you pay attention but you're completely wrong about Think being OOC. It's 100% IC. People act on what is said in Think, and people can only speak ICly in Think. It exists IC. It's completely ridiculous to try to pretend otherwise.

And what I was saying is that eliminating something because it's OOC is wrong. Enforce the fact that it can only be used OOC, and never IC. Don't get rid of it. Next you'll want to get rid of the WA, huh? After all, people talk OOC in there. That's wrong! This is an IC game! And if you say something in the WA, people can act on that in the game, and that is wrong! Please.

Getting rid of Who is dumb and serves no purpose other than to make the game even more unplayable for newer players and more inconvenient for older players.

Comment

I dont know why I try...

This is my position: I present what will make EC a more realistic and Rome replica game, because that is what I believe will make EC a better game. The arguments you present are merely hypothesis; ideas which MAY occur if the given circumstances are put into effect. True, all of them COULD happen, but that's not to say that they will. Actually, it makes little difference given the position of my argument, which as I stated is to make it as realistic as possible. I merely give the simplist solutions (which I and many others happen to prefer..)

About think being OOC. Technically, it isn't OOC, you're right. But its extremely unrealistic and it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to do thinks conterproductive to society. And every society needs counterproductivity (ie: thieving, hits, etc..) to be realistic. Now I know a lot of you play EC to "skill" and get away from life. However, a true RPG isn't centered around skilling, but rather around storyplaying. Skilling is just a minor detail which you can incorporate into your storyplaying to add a realistic effect. So the problem with power gamers isn't removing social aspects, its people who play EC for its mechanics, and not for the role-playing experience it began as.

As a personal opinion, I'd say EC has become less GM - player orientated, and more GM - mechanic - player orientated. (Not good!) Meaning, the GMs relate to the mechanics, as do the players, and less interaction between GM and player. Yes I do know GMs host events and such, but I don't think its very accountable. I'm not saying its anyone's fault, EC has become a massive game and it's near impossible to have the GMs relate directly to the player's gameplay, but this is why we have players who are more interested in the mechanics than the gameplay.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X