"Who" command

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AHA!

But its extremely unrealistic and it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to do thinks conterproductive to society. And every society needs counterproductivity (ie: thieving, hits, etc..) to be realistic.
    Someone finally admits it! Its what I've been saying all along. The only people that will benefit from the removal of Think and Who are the thieves and assassins. But hell. over 50%, no, make it 75% of the characters in TEC are the above mentioned (please, if there is a god in Midlight, limit the number of thieves that can be generated, or that can learn the skill slot at any one time), it really would benefit the majority of players.

Oh, yeah. Force players into face to face situations. Make them be in the same square so they have to fight off thieves and assassins. Make us all go nuts with the screen scroll while we park out arses at the thief-infested Toga drinking the umpteenth ale watching morons we have no wish to be around while waiting on an original role-playing opportunity with those we truly DO wish to RP with.

Maybe legalize vigilanteeism, give us some means of defense against thieves (TEC is too geared to the pickpocketing skillset) and you've got a deal.

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.
    I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
    Or. . .
    We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

Comment

Re: I dont know why I try...

Originally posted by cbecker

As a personal opinion, I'd say EC has become less GM - player orientated, and more GM - mechanic - player orientated. (Not good!) Meaning, the GMs relate to the mechanics, as do the players, and less interaction between GM and player. Yes I do know GMs host events and such, but I don't think its very accountable. I'm not saying its anyone's fault, EC has become a massive game and it's near impossible to have the GMs relate directly to the player's gameplay, but this is why we have players who are more interested in the mechanics than the gameplay.

Enjoy!
      This is a very very good point! Not the removal of game mechanics (like who or think) is what strengthens gameplay but the involvment of the GMs into the Gameworld(designing, improving and _communication_). This is a measure I am supporting a 100%.
      The more communication between PCs and GM-Controlled NPCs happens the more gameworld details will flow into TEC and this is what achieves the kind of realism I desire.

Regards Theo

Comment

Maybe legalize vigilanteeism, give us some means of defense against thieves
        Rindak the vigilantee. Hmmm, I like this sarcastic idea.

Comment

Ens, you're right. Cbecker did make a good point about GM interaction. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with this thread (almost looks like Cbecker was wanting to change the subject). It is worthy of its own thread, though, probably in Administrivia. Let's just not get off the subject too much please.

Jolee, I think you're right. We finally got down to the heart of it... Think is mostly opposed by thieves and other people who want to avoid consequences for their actions. If we abolish Think, then let's give Constables swords, and give them free reign to kill any thief on sight. Let the NPC constables to the same thing. Even the odds for us or the game will turn into a big PK with people trying to steal everyone else's stuff.

Or maybe have the constables show up in groups... That, after all, is realistic. How many times have you heard the phrase "wait for backup"?
          Lovecraft Country: Albert Zero
          Castle Marrach: Cody the Blade

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

One more thing...

As for unrealistic, so what? It's too late for that. There are already fantasy monsters and magic items in the game. This isn't a historical game, it's a fantasy game. So the unrealistic argument is useless.

StoryCoder Azrael tells StoryHermit Death, "I *did* get told "you're amazing" by a girl when I was saucing my hotdog..."

Comment

uhh..oh geez

Uhhh....
              Ok,Chad..i advise you to stop reading this, it won't be good for your health..don't do it man! i can hardly read it anymore, i know it will kill you..

*imagines a thinkless gameworld* ahh..how great...oh yeah, no i dont play any thieves or "bad" chars..at least..not at the moment

Leminarflow

Comment

*helps slap Atama*

Atama you've went off subject in almost every forum message i've read of yours. Correct yourself, before you correct others. Chad's points were all well thought and i personally back the dismantling of think and hope the cadae are used for its replacement, which at one time i thought was its purpose.

Comment

*catches Jkidd's hand*

I go off topic a bit sometimes, sure. But not so much that I completely change the subject. I always keep some relevance. The lack of GM interaction had nothing to do with anything anyone previously posted had said, that's what I was objecting to.

Of course, if you read the first 2 sentences of my post (maybe they didn't show up on your browser) you'd see that I was actually supporting what Cbecker said. It just belongs in not only a different thread, but a different forum. GM interaction has nothing to do with game mechanics. It's something that should be addressed if people feel it's lacking, and therefore I suggested that Cbecker start a new thread in another forum about it.

Let me repeat what he said:

As a personal opinion, I'd say EC has become less GM - player orientated, and more GM - mechanic - player orientated. (Not good!) Meaning, the GMs relate to the mechanics, as do the players, and less interaction between GM and player. Yes I do know GMs host events and such, but I don't think its very accountable. I'm not saying its anyone's fault, EC has become a massive game and it's near impossible to have the GMs relate directly to the player's gameplay, but this is why we have players who are more interested in the mechanics than the gameplay.

I've never gone that off-topic before. Not in a serious discussion.

Comment

Atama i read your post, just its the second time i've seen you write about going off topic and telling someone where they should or should not post...I'm not getting into an arguement over this and i apologize for adding more clutter to the forums..

Comment

I'm not criticizing Cbecker. I'm just hoping to keep this thread going like it was... Talking about the merits of the Who command (and the Think command since they seem to go hand and hand judging by the posts). I'll try to stay more relevant myself in the future too.

I was just concerned because this thread was becoming something else. I'm going to start a new thread in Administrivia with this topic (I think Administrivia is the most appropriate place for this) and see what people have to say.

Comment

I think this is one of those things where the object is to balence the OOC / IC features of the game and the focal point is what overloads the server and seriously detracts from the game.

Having people constantly say "thots on" and "thots off" and constently hollering "Is Joe Blow awake yet" impedes the game to the point where an OOC measure (Who, colorized yet) is the only practical answer.

As for the rest we might as well face it. We are noting more than a pack of grown up kids playing games. We are no different from the little kid with its arms stretched out, running thru the grocery store, lips pursed going "rrrrrRRRRrrrRRRrrrr" pretending to be an airplane.

Perhaps it would put less strain on resources to have a "who Nomad ( or ) Jessa" command than having people constently go thru the whole list over and over again trying to find each other.

or perhaps we could have seperate who's, like "who constable" or "who men" or "who sexy women" and of course a "who idjit " list so we know to come on only when our favorite idjit is present.

Comment

"Who sexy female idjit constable"?

Nah, labeling people would be sorta hard... And even I think that's too much knowledge about people than you should have regularly available OOC. I don't need to know that a person's a constable before I meet them.

Comment

Working...
                          X